My first rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by esti, Oct 4, 2007.

1. esti

esti New Member

My first rifle and first time shooting it at the range today :D
    It's a Ruger 10/22 CCR Compact with a 12 3/4" LOP which is perfect for me.

After 50 rounds of Federal Champion, all my shots were landing low.
    [​IMG]
    I showed my target to nice gentleman at the range and he adjusted my rear sight.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

just say out loud

"This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen."

And if you don't know what movie that's from, you must watch it immediately if not sooner. Twice.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Nice. I like my 10/22.

4. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

A 10/22 was the first that I actually bought myself. It was all good till I spent $500 on accessories. :lol:

5. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

"This is my rifle, THIS is my gun......this is for fighting, and THIS is for FUN!!!"
    :lol:

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I only have $50-60 in mine..just a cheap scope and some magazines and a soft case.

7. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

That price included a cheap scope. If I had bought a decent one it would be in the $800 range.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh, ok. Yea, I couldn't justify spending too much. When I put the scope back on, I'll have to use loctite or something because the scope shook loose after 50-60 rounds or so. :oops:

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

cheap scopes, cheap mounts

I have found that cheap scopes and poorly-designed mounts will still allow you to zero-in and shoot a really tight group. The thing is, will the scope still be zeroed the next time you go shooting in a few weeks? Will the scope be zeroed the same on a warm day as a cold day? And will you be able to see anything around dawn or dusk, when the light is dim? Nope. That's where the diffence comes out. Otherwise, at first glance a $30 scope lets you hit the target just as well as a $600 scope, on a good sunny day, just after you've sighted-in.

10. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Re: cheap scopes, cheap mounts

I agree, but that was the first gun I even put a scope on. So, I was in my "learning" phase. Heck, I even stripped out the screws on the receiver with the Leupold mount. That was easily fixed though.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'm not going all out for a 10/22...especially with the cheap bulk ammo for it. I'd rather get a good optic for the AR.

12. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Way to go Esti!

Won't be too far in the future before you're getting one of those evil black rifles!

Or an AK or SKS.

Perhaps an Enfield or a Mauser

Maybe even a Mosin or Garand.

Of course, there are lots and lots of new rifles available too.

Anyway, WOW! Welcome to the rifle club.

Actually, a pretty nice little plinker is the Hi-Point carbine. Lightweight, shoots pistol ammo so there's very little recoil and they don't cost all that much. Adam5 has one and it's a hoot!!!

Oh yeah..... nice shooting.

:rifle:

13. tace

tace New Member

Hey Esti,
    Where did you get yours? I have been looking at those for a while. Nice shooting.

14. esti

esti New Member

Thanks for the kind words. It was in stock at Shooters of Columbus. Shooters has the only indoor range in Columbus. When I purchased the Lady Smith, I received a free 6-month membership. What originally caught my eye was a used Marlin 30-30 and a used Baikal Bounty Hunter II, but I thought to myself, hmmm, do I really need a rifle and a shotgun? No, I must resist temptation. Next week the Baikal was gone.

While browsing for ammo at Walmart, the clerk let me shoulder a tiny Remington Spartan single shot .410 and a couple of youth shotguns. At Dick's, another youth shotgun. At Northside pawn, a used Benelli just like Gunny's (too long). The Marlin was still calling me, but when I shouldered it, alas it was a no-go. I'm 5' and the Ruger Compact was the only rifle that fit. So, after months of resisting temptation, I finally gave in.

[​IMG]

If I only knew it was going to be this fun, I would have done it sooner. :D

15. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Um...you do know that's not from "Full Metal Jacket," but from the Marine Corps...right?

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'd hope so...I don't think it was just in FMJ either...

17. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

Of course, but it is so eloquently delivered in the movie by Gunnery Sgt Hartman, I had to bring that up.

18. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Still hits me about six inches above the bread basket and just left of center every time I hear it. Brings back memories of Edson range in the summer of '83...

19. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Correction.... I had one.

20. tace

tace New Member

Why did you get rid of it?