My first open carry experience....

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by rajl, Jul 23, 2007.

1. rajl

rajl Guest

...was a complete non event. Normally I conceal carry, both to keep the sheeple from being scared and to give myself the tactical advantage of knowing I have a weapon and the other person not knowing it. But I live near liberal Emory, and I was "in a mood" :twisted: , so I decided to open carry to the 24 hour Kroger next door for a late night ice cream run. I was wondering if I'd get any reactions. As best I can tell, NO ONE noticed the Sig 220 sitting on my waist I was wandering the Ice Cream aisle.

I may be braver on a more regular basis from now on.

2. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Awesome! Now go there tomorrow at 6pm when all the soccer moms are buying TV dinners for their kiddies!

3. rajl

rajl Guest

I was thinking of waiting until classes at Emory start. You know, Freshman move in weekend. :)

4. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Glad to hear you had a good experience. I Oc'd my little snubbie this weekend and caught a few evil stares. I've open carried my .45 and nobody notices, clip my .38 where 2" of grip is visible and all of a sudden people start eyeing the door :(

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I should be OCing soon... whenever i get that holster...

6. HannitizedRushBaby

HannitizedRushBaby New Member

I finally got a holster a couple of weeks ago... and I have CC'd practically everywhere (that I'm allowed, of course) since then!!!

I truly didn't realize how un-safe that I use to feel until I got my gun.

Oh, I was up in Kennesaw visiting some friends this weekend (and attending a few Braves games!)... Anyway, I had some time to kill on Saturday afternoon so I wandered into a gun shop. There were two guys working there and about 5 guys shopping... I got a couple of funny looks (since I'm a girl)... but I had a nice visit with one of the employees and a customer. The employee recommended a range to me... and the customer handed me his son's cell phone number to go shooting sometime! LOL! I probably won't call the guy, but it was a nice gesture. Apparently this guy's son just graduated from Southern and he goes to some lodge near Vidalia to shoot.

Also, I've finally gotten my sister over her fear of my gun. (She wouldn't even touch it when I first got it!) Lately whenever we are out and about - she has been admitting that she feels a lot better knowing that I have it with me. Hopefully that means she will begin considering getting her GFL and a gun when she turns 21!

Okay, enough rambling. I really just wanted to say that I have begun concealed-carrying... and I'm loving every minute of it!!!

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

You're more than welcome to come shooting with the rest of the Boro/GSU folks when we go.

8. Claire

Claire New Member

this made me think - those who open carry -

do you think a non reaction from people when OCing depends on your geographic location and/or the way you're dressed? also does it make a diff if you're male or female?

9. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

The way your dressed has a great deal to do with it. If I'm in my "work" clothes I hardly get a second glance. If I'm in shorts and a T-shirt I'll get second looks and sometimes questions. Nothing negative so far. Of course it could be because I'm in Southwest Georgia and things are a bit more normal here than Hotlanta but I go up there and the Macon area now and then and always open carry. I have never had one LEO say a thing, most I ever get is a nod...

10. Wiley

Wiley Guest

Rarely, if ever, am I in anything other than jeans and a t-shirt. I've only gotten one comment, and that was do I like carrying a 1911. (Yep, sure do!)

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I find that what I'm wearing doesn't make much difference, I get questions either way.

If I'm in shorts and a tshirt, it's usually "Are you a cop? How can you carry that legally? Why do you carry that?"

If I'm in a shirt and tie, or khakis and a polo, it's, "Do you work for Statesboro PD or Bulloch Sheriff?"

I guess the clean-cut haircut and neatly groomed appearance (and rugged good looks) help me more than anything.

12. merlock

merlock Active Member

We're proud of you, HRB!
    =D> :righton: :woohoo:

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Mohawks help. 8)

14. Dan H

Dan H New Member

What kind of gun did you end up getting?

15. HannitizedRushBaby

LOL!

Thanks for the offer!! Where do y'all go??

I've wondered the same thing. I would like to open-carry, but I have some hesitation about it. I think that as females we need the advantage of knowing that we have the gun... and others not knowing. I think that there would be positive feedback sometimes, but I also think that our own guns could be used against us. That's just my personal thought though. I will probably open carry in certain enviornments on occasion, but I don't plan for that to be the norm.

Thanks!! :D

My grandpa bought me a Beretta Tomcat.

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Tomcat, eh?...That sure is a little weapon.

17. HannitizedRushBaby

Yeah, a couple of my male friends have replied with ... "oh, that's cute!"

I really didn't have my input in what my grandpa bought. He wanted to get what I wanted, but he has WAY more knowledge about guns than I do. So I just told him that I trusted his opinion.

My dad's friend wanted me to get a S&W 642.

I like my Tomcat though. I mean, I have only shot it... my grandpa's .22 revolver and his Colt .45. So I really don't have much to base it off of... but it seems to be good for my purposes.