My first "Man with a Gun" call

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by gsusnake, Jul 12, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I went out to get some dinner (OC, naturally) and came back in. Where I parked, I had to walk near the pool area on my way in to the apartment.

About 15 minutes later, I'm enjoying my Subway when I hear a knock in the door. I looked through the window to see two Statesboro PD officers, one of whom was holding his badge where I could see it. Keep in mind I'm still OC here with the gun strapped to my belt.

I opened the door and asked them to come in, and what I could do to help them. These are two officers I do not know.

The one in front says, "We got a phone call about a man with a gun seen entering an apartment, and you fit his description. May I see your firearms license and DL please?"

I said, "Yes sir, that was me. Here's my GFL and my ID. Is there a problem?"

He looked over the cards while his partner radioed in that they were here and there weren't any problems. He handed my license back to me and said, "May I inquire as to why you were carrying open and not concealed? You know, that might make you a target for a bad guy and sometimes it scares people."

I said, "I carry openly in order to educate people about firearms rights. I know that it scares folks sometimes but it's my legal right."

"Well, yes, but if you concealed, you'd save yourself the trouble of interacting with us."

He then noticed the Mosin leaning up against the wall and asked what it was. I told him. He asked if he could see it, please. (By this time I'm nervous again)

He asked how much I valued it at and I said I paid about $150 for it.

THEN...

he offered me $200 for the rifle! "I've been looking for one of these and this one is in great condition. Are you willing to sell?"

I said, "No, I bought that one because of the condition it's in. You might check out Mission Essential in Hinesville, he's got a bunch more that are all in equally good condition."

He replied, "Oh, well, just thought I'd offer. I've been wanting one of these BAD."

I then asked both of them what they would do if they were to see a man out in public who was OC (So I stop these Statesboro officers...). His partner (who had two chevrons on his collar, I guess he was a sergeant) said, "Well, if he's not in an off-limits place, and he's not causing any trouble, I might ask to see his license, but then I'll tell him to have a nice day and apologize for wasting his time."

I asked if that was official department policy and he said "Yes."

They thanked me for my time and apologized for the hassle. The one who was interested in my rifle handed me his card and told him to call if I ever want to sell.

All in all, a good experience, and I even learned something about dept. policy.

2. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Good job. Glad to know he even made you an offer. You know he's not an anti at least.

And the 2 chevrons would be a Corporal.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Glad everything went smoothly. For future reference, Sergeant is three chevrons.

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Since when do you have to have a GFL to carry in your house? Or were they wanting to see it because you were carrying elsewhere?

5. gsusnake

Elsewhere, I think.

I dunno, I didn't have a problem showing it to them.

I guess cuz I admitted to being the one carrying in the parking lot.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Probably.

Not what I would have done. I talk to police outside of my residence, while closing the door behind me.

7. gsusnake

I've got nothing to hide (that's not already well-hidden).

8. This is going to sound bad but i talk to police with my head out the door, pistol in hand behind the door.

Trust no one.

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

First Line of Defense

The first line of defense for these "Man With a Gun" calls is the person who takes the call from the excited member of the public. This police dispatcher or 911 operator should inquire about WHAT is so concerning about a guy with a gun? Are there any other facts or circumstances to suggest he's up to no good with it, or that his possession of it in that place at that time is unlawful?

Properly done, it goes like this:
    CALLER: "I want to report a man with a gun. Do you have any detectives on Maple Lane? If not, there's just some guy with a gun walking around."
    911 OPERATOR: "I don't think we have any detectives working there, but when they're not answering a call, they don't have to tell me where they are. What particularly is concerning you about this guy? What's he doing? How is he carrying that gun of his?"
    CALLER: "It's a hand-held gun, in a holster. It's black and I can see the handle of it."
    911 OPERATOR: " So he's not touching it? What is he doing that looks like it might be a violation of the law? Possessing a gun in public is not illegal for people that have permits."
    CALLER: "Well I don't know if he has a permit. Can you tell me?"
    911 OPERATOR: "I'll see if there's an officer that can swing by and ask him, if there's an officer available."
    CALLER: "Should I, like, hide behind a car or something?"
    911 OPERATOR: "Sure, whatever turns you on. Dive for cover, is what they call it in police work. Take a really fast running dive for the pavement and roll under your car. Don't come out for at least an hour."
    CALLER: "C'mon, isn't that like way over-reacting?"
    911 OPERATOR: "You started it."

10. gsusnake

Re: First Line of Defense

:rotfl:

11. pro2am

pro2am New Member

:lol: :lol:

12. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Police or anyone else unknown for that matter. It would be hard for me to hear them anyway with our dogs barking their a** off. Besides, I thought you only invited strangers in if you were planning on shooting them. :D

13. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Well, the last thing he said was
    so he may well have... :shock:

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I won't Monday morning quarterback you. Sounds like you were contacted by a couple of gun nuts who also happened to be police officers.

:D

15. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Sounds like a positive encounter, good job! And yeah sounds like they love guns as much as we do!

Did you tell them about our websites??

16. gsusnake

But of course.

And I'm pretty sure I encountered a couple gun nuts, which is why I'm gonna Stop some more Statesboro officers next time I see some.

17. Axeman

Axeman New Member

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

18. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Gunsmoker, that's really a hoot. Maybe even a hoot and a half! Whatever, I loved it!!!

Hey Ramm:

I think that's good enough for the GCO Newsletter. After all, not everyone reads the forum.