Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving from Dallas to El Paso today, and just west of Abilene, I passed three TSP troopers in the median. I had the cruise control on a little fast, but I decide not to look like an idiot by slamming on the brakes, and just kept going. One of the cruisers pulls out and comes to get me.

He comes up to my passenger side window and asks how I'm doing. I respond in kind, and inform him that I'm carrying a firearm (Glock 19 on my right hip, concealed) and that I have a GFL. He nods vaguely, as if he doesn't really care, and then makes a comment about me being in the military (he saw my DOD sticker). He quickly glances at my insurance, and takes my driver's license (never even asked for the other license) back to his car to run it.

He comes back about five minutes later and hands me my DL, and we have a short conversation.

Him- "What kind of pistol you got?"
Me- "Glock 19."
Him- "Oh cool, we get issued Glock .40s...the 22."
Me- "Nice. Am I required in Texas to tell you that I'm carrying a weapon?"
Him- "Nah, but it's a nice courtesy. You kinda look like a cop or a soldier, so I figured you had a weapon. Besides, the only people who cruise by speedtraps and don't even try to slow down are usually cops and military (HAHAHA). So it's no big deal."

We talked briefly about a few other things, like what I'm going to be doing in El Paso and how badly both our alma maters are playing football this year, then we exchanged farewells and I went on my way.

Never asked for my GFL or made any mention of my gun other than that convo I outlined above. Never made any mention of a ticket either and I drove away scot-free. It's the second time being in the service has gotten me out of a ticket. Hooah.

So, yeah, a totally positive first encounter. And I realize that someone will probably wonder why I even told him in the first place. And to that, I'll respectfully say, I don't really know. Figured it's a nice courtesy. And besides, if things go down hill and I am asked to step out of the car, I don't want the cops to think I'm the sneaky type when they see a handgun I hadn't told them about. Feel free to tell me that's pretty weak reasoning if it is, and if there's anything I should have done differently.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Informing LEO in Texas is required.

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I definitely can't disagree with informing when you don't actually know the law regarding that. While I would always try to know those laws myself and would suggest to anyone else to do the same it is the safer bet to inform when you don't know the law. Might invite extra hassle, but it is better than breaking the law.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Good encounter, as they should all be and remember to slow down and not speed past troopers running radar :lol:

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
Pandashire said:
Informing LEO in Texas is required.

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
This is the first thing that came to my mind too. I fly out and visit a friend in TX once a year and I make sure I know the laws before I go. I distinctly remember this one as it is the opposite of what GA requires.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. Glad to see I made the right decision. This particular trooper definitely did not think it was required, but at least if he's mistaken on laws, he's mistaken on our side. And I'll remember this for future reference in encounters with LEO here in Texas.

As for speeding, since when is going 82 in a 70 speeding?!?! I asked my mother the same thing on the phone after the incident; she was not amused. But if a trooper wants me to slow down, he'll do exactly what that guy did. I personally felt like I owed that officer something because of his politeness and professionalism, and I refused to speed for the last 400-odd miles of my trip. I feel it would have insulted his leniency.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Its the law in Texas so you did the correct thing.

It is not the law here in GA. Don't expect every encounter to go down like this, like clock-work.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Don't mind budders, he has no friends, as per the hall monitor rule book.

You got lucky with respect to notifying the trooper that you were carrying, even if he did not know the law. One should always learn the law of the state you're carrying in. I even carry a cheat sheet with me when I travel up to yankeeland to visit the [s:1b3i6h3v]out[/s:1b3i6h3v] in-laws.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
GFLinTX said:
As for speeding, since when is going 82 in a 70 speeding?!?! I asked my mother the same thing on the phone after the incident; she was not amused. But if a trooper wants me to slow down, he'll do exactly what that guy did. I personally felt like I owed that officer something because of his politeness and professionalism, and I refused to speed for the last 400-odd miles of my trip. I feel it would have insulted his leniency.
Georgia is one of the few states where you'll usually get 15 mph over the limit before you're pulled over. Once you leave Georgia, most states will ticket you for going over 5 or 10 mph over the limit, depending on the state.

The fact that Georgia is so slack is in some ways a bad thing, as I'm pretty sure it causes Georgians to get more tickets out of state.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,516 Posts
GA states you have 10mph over the limit.

O.C.G.A. § 40-14-8. When case may be made and conviction had

(a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour and no conviction shall be had thereon unless such speed is more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit.

(b) The limitations contained in subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply in properly marked school zones one hour before, during, and one hour after the normal hours of school operation, in properly marked historic districts, and in properly marked residential zones. For purposes of this chapter, thoroughfares with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or more shall not be considered residential districts. For purposes of this Code section, the term "historic district" means a historic district as defined in paragraph (5) of Code Section 44-10-22 and which is listed on the Georgia Register of Historic Places or as defined by ordinance adopted pursuant to a local constitutional amendment.
This is related to speed detection devices though. An officer can still ticket you for going less than 10mph over the speed limit if he/she is pacing you or if he/she is a state trooper.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
AV8R said:
Don't mind budders, he has no friends, as per the hall monitor rule book.

You got lucky with respect to notifying the trooper that you were carrying, even if he did not know the law. One should always learn the law of the state you're carrying in. I even carry a cheat sheet with me when I travel up to yankeeland to visit the [s:27ok7dq9]out[/s:27ok7dq9] in-laws.
For the rest of the day AV8R i'm going to stalk you on all threads.. lol as long a sbudder knows he is loved. then all is well in the GPDO world. Now lerts all hold hands and sing along.

good LEO encounter. Like said above dont expect it to always go down like that. Sometimes you do what the law states and you get yanked out and zapped for a few minutes. Don't forget to escalate it to the next level and the AR's come out THEN you know you're not in Kansas anymore.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
phantoms said:

O.C.G.A. § 40-14-8. When case may be made and conviction had

(a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour and no conviction shall be had thereon unless such speed is more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit.

(b) The limitations contained in subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply in properly marked school zones one hour before, during, and one hour after the normal hours of school operation, in properly marked historic districts, and in properly marked residential zones. For purposes of this chapter, thoroughfares with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or more shall not be considered residential districts. For purposes of this Code section, the term "historic district" means a historic district as defined in paragraph (5) of Code Section 44-10-22 and which is listed on the Georgia Register of Historic Places or as defined by ordinance adopted pursuant to a local constitutional amendment.
This is related to speed detection devices though. An officer can still ticket you for going less than 10mph over the speed limit if he/she is pacing you or if he/she is a state trooper.
...or other state officer.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
phantoms said:
That's the law, but not the point. From what I understand, tickets for going less than 15 over in Georgia are rare. Georgia does effectively cut you more slack than other states.

·
Paratrooper
609 Posts
ookoshi said:
phantoms said:
That's the law, but not the point. From what I understand, tickets for going less than 15 over in Georgia are rare. Georgia does effectively cut you more slack than other states.
In metro Atlanta, I agree. But, I was pulled over for 12+ by Bibb country heading to Savannah. He asked about my retired stickers and let me go after license check. Now, I set the cruise for 10+. In addition, I never volunteered the fact that I was carrying.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
darkstar3d said:
In metro Atlanta, I agree. But, I was pulled over for 12+ by Bibb country heading to Savannah. He asked about my retired stickers and let me go after license check. Now, I set the cruise for 10+. In addition, I never volunteered the fact that I was carrying.[/quote]

I've been stopped, but never ticketed, for going less than 15 over, even in south Georgia.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
ookoshi said:
From what I understand, tickets for going less than 15 over in Georgia are rare. Georgia does effectively cut you more slack than other states.
I wish. I've gotten two tickets in the last 5 years for less than 15 over, GSP in Warren County and Sheriff's Office in McDuffie County.

Only place I have ever been cut loose was in Oklahoma. Four state trooper cars and an airplane, and no ticket. Like the OP said, had to have been the Army sticker.

·
Registered
670 Posts
phantoms said:
Also, municipalities can add a Strictly Enforced sign to the speed limit sign and ticket for 1mph over. They can only mark something like 10% of the roads with those though. I'm going from memory on this, so someone correct me if I have the details wrong.

·
Paratrooper
609 Posts
RecoveringYankee said:
ookoshi said:
From what I understand, tickets for going less than 15 over in Georgia are rare. Georgia does effectively cut you more slack than other states.
I wish. I've gotten two tickets in the last 5 years for less than 15 over, GSP in Warren County and Sheriff's Office in McDuffie County.

Only place I have ever been cut loose was in Oklahoma. Four state trooper cars and an airplane, and no ticket. Like the OP said, had to have been the Army sticker.
You've been unfortunate! I was 25 miles over and with a illegal radar detector in Virginia and the trooper let me loose because he too had been in the 82nd Airborne. Both of us had paratrooper rings on. :)

**EDIT**
Let me loose, not my detector. Mailed it back to Bragg since they were illegal in VA.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts