Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a couple years of putting it off I finally applied for my GFL, should have done it sooner but oh well.

Went to the courthouse in Carrollton, found the probate office and filled out their own form which they type into the computer. A drivers license is all you need for identification purposes. The social security number and employment info were listed as optional. If you choose to give your SSN like I did, be sure to bring your card. $47 cash or check.

Then I took my fingerprint card and paper work across town to the Sheriffs Department (specifically the detention center). They're still using the ink method. Leave you paperwork there and thats it.

The whole process took about 45 minutes and the staff at both places were pleasant.

Now maybe a miracle will occur and I'll get my license within 60 days. Yeah right they warned that it might take 4 or 5 months. :banghead:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
16,485 Posts
Congratulations on your application. I got my application in less than 60 days in Fulton, so you should be in good shape as long as you keep checking the progress of your application.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point in my life I have no qualms about giving out my Social Security number especially to a government body, plenty of private companies have it as it is. I figured it could only help the process. I'm glad they have been stopped from forcing people to give that info. No I did not give my employment info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,937 Posts
Re: my Carroll county experience

Glock19 said:
Now maybe a miracle will occur and I'll get my license within 60 days. Yeah right they warned that it might take 4 or 5 months. :banghead:
My co-worker got hers from Carroll county and it took a little less than a month.

Just remember to get lots of "progress reports".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,937 Posts
Glock19 said:
At this point in my life I have no qualms about giving out my Social Security number...
I'm the same way... I pass out my SSN like candy... even to strangers... I just think it will be hilarious if anyone ever steals my identity, because my identity will be a whole lot worse than their identity. They would be stealing $110,000 in debt and $14 in a bank account...

who cares if your identity is stolen if you are a penniless loser.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,642 Posts
Re: my Carroll county experience

Glock19 said:
Went to the courthouse in Carrollton, found the probate office and filled out their own form which they type into the computer. A drivers license is all you need for identification purposes. The social security number and employment info were listed as optional.
:?:

Carroll County. That looks familiar . . .

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2007/05 ... oot-again/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your experience, mine in Carroll County was not that long at all. Of course it was 2 years ago. My wife applied in Carroll County last week so we will see how long they take now.

As an update, Carroll County now uses electronic fingerprinting.....so maybe it will be faster. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update I'm on day 73. I haven't talked to them yet, but reading other posters experiences from Carroll around 77 or 79 days seems to be the norm so I will give them a few more weeks before I start stirring S$%#.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
Glock19 said:
Just an update I'm on day 73. I haven't talked to them yet, but reading other posters experiences from Carroll around 77 or 79 days seems to be the norm so I will give them a few more weeks before I start stirring S$%#.
Go ahead and stir something up...it's past 60 days.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,460 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
Glock19 said:
Just an update I'm on day 73. I haven't talked to them yet, but reading other posters experiences from Carroll around 77 or 79 days seems to be the norm so I will give them a few more weeks before I start stirring S$%#.
Go ahead and stir something up...it's past 60 days.
+1
 

·
Professional Troll
Joined
·
2,128 Posts
Judge Cason needs to have a fire lit under her ass...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,188 Posts
Maybe I need to call Betty or stop by and see her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well well well look what came today
about 125 days after applying
about 2 1/2 weeks after re fingerprinting with live scan
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top