My employer is saying no guns on property

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Glock21SF, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Glock21SF

Glock21SF New Member

So my crazy employer is pissed because I called OSHA about my unsafe work area......I came in and the ceiling was falling and I was told to perform unsafe work not in my job description....I refused..I was screamed at and was told to come back next day by the vice president and my supervisor....I called in the complaint and 6 hrs later I was texted:

Do not return to work until further notice
    We are in the process of evaluating your attendance history and probation point total....

First time I've heard this....he was pissed I called OSHA after sheet rock panel's almost fell and brained me 3 times in last 6 mos...I have asked several times to have it fixed and they wouldnt....

So now I had to wait 3 days before they finally agreed to have a face to face...they knew I was right...they had to repair it and when I went to the face to face they had all these unwarranted bullet points on my employment which I was required to sign or it was my resignation....I've never had problem and now this seems retalitory....I have talked to OSHA and the whistle-blower task force and they are pursuing it....the owner is pissed and wants to fire me but can't or he could get sued as I have all the documentation that shows it was retalitory.....now at the end of the meeting he saw my CC as I was leaving and asked if I was carrying my pistol...yes I said.....
    He says from now on you can't bring it on premisis....there are several of us including home who carry and there's never been an issue in 6 years ever....he said only people I authorize from now on can carry...I asked how I could be authorized then and he said you can't and it's confidential......now they are trying to have everyone sign a paper that says no guns on property or in our cars....
    Sheesh....so he owns the property and parking area only it is publicly accessible with no locked gate or guard

There's so much grey area when I Google it
    Do I have to sign this....is it legal...can I still carry in my vehicle if it's in a lock box....can they search my vehicle?
    Any help would be great....
    What are my rights...and the specific statutes that cover this please?
    I'm in process now of finding another job but until then I have to be unarmed with the threat of searching me or my vehicle from 6 am to 5pm in the ATL....ugg
    Please help

2. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

Park off property, carry in your car

3. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

I had my employer threaten to search my car once after some money came up missing. I told him to pound sand. Nobody is searching my car except the police with a warrant.

They later found the money. I had nothing to do with it, of course. But he has no right to search your car, even on his property.

Good luck. I would probably start looking for another job if I were you. It sounds like your life at work is going to be miserable.

Az

4. Glock21SF

Glock21SF New Member

I am looking...was trying to avoid an hour plus commute one way....I'm a custom woodworker and can't find any closer....I can't park off site there's nowhere...
    I won't let anyone search me or my vehicle period
    It might take some time to find other work....
    It's nutty

5. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

Go into business for yourself

Folks on this forum would pay well for hand crafted gun cabinets. There is a whole new market for conceal furniture.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  6. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Do not sign anything without your lawyer's approval. Any "sign this or you are resigning" should be answered with "I'm not signing." Record everything, at least audio. In stuff like this, it is the best documentation that wins.

7. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

if not secured parking lot its legal to keep in your car just dont let on

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

If I'm not mistaken cording to Georgia code your car is considered an extension of your home. Your employer can restrict carry on company property and in company vehicles but as long as you are allowed to carry the extension of your home onto company property then what ever is inside it is none of their business. Keep it locked up in your car and never mention it again to anyone.

If I'm mistaken someone will surely correct me...

9. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

If the company parking area is secured they can ban weapons
    Now I'm just saying if it's out of sight......

10. jato

jato New Member

The company my wife works for and I retired from bans, guns, ammo and alcohol on the premises and that includes your car. They also perform random car searches when entering lot. Employees who don't submit are fired, if any of the banned items are found the employee is fired, no ifs, ands, buts.or second chances.

11. phaed

phaed Active Member

so, you tattled to the government on the guy that's nice enough to give you a job? now, you want to whine about not being able to do something your employer forbids. in my opinion, you should be very thankful that you still have a job.

12. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

And that would have ended my employment. Actually, if it was disclosed during interview I would never have worked there at all.

FYI - If you work for me, the words "not in my job description" are synonymous with "I don't want to work here". I hired you to work for me. You don't get to dictate what your job is, nor will you shove the job description (that I wrote) in my face.

Suffice it to say that the text you received from me would have been much shorter.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  13. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

I don't want to drift too far off the original topic, but this statement piqued my curiosity... So if I read that correctly you seem to think that as long as you are paying somebody to work for you you can order them to do anything you want??

I'll give you my real life example. Many, many years ago I worked for a video game / vending company as a field technician. I did board level repairs, moved and installed equipment (juke boxes, games, pool tables vending machines, etc.) The owner of the company (who was a real piece of work and NOT the person who hired me, the service manager hired me) apparently held the same view as you do.

He would routinely have shop personnel drive 60 miles to his house to rake goose crap up off his beach, mow his lawn, and install his pier in the summer and remove it in the winter. From the time I was first asked to do this I refused. I was not hired as a lawn maintenance person / groundskeeper (not that there is anything wrong with that) and tasks like this were never mentioned when I was hired. This didn't go over well, but they backed off.

But from your view that would NOT be OK because you feel if you are paying me, I should do anything you ask of me?

Curious...

14. AtlPhilip

As the employer, the success of the business is my responsibility. Your job is nothing more than a task list I need done. You are being paid because I have determined it in my business's best interests to pay someone else rather do them myself. Sometimes you are privy to why I make the decisions I make, sometimes you are not. In any case, what is on that task list is mine to determine. If you don't like the job I am asking you to do, you are free to go find another. And yes, I would have fired you on the spot for refusing.

I have used employees for "personal" tasks before. The reasons were varied, but included "not enough work to give you 40 hours this week", "my grass is a foot high because I was out selling all weekend to keep you working, and "my gutters are full because I work another 6 hours after you go home every night".

When you refuse a task from a business owner, you need to serious consider the possibility that you got paid last week and he didn't. I am responsible for more than you understand. Support me in that effort or I will find someone who will.

15. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Y'all are all missing the important part of said statement "unsafe". If you told someone to clean the gutters that are more than 6 feet off the ground and did not supply a fall arrest system I would refuse. If fired I would then call OSHA also.

16. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

If it's legal, yes. There is a huge misconception in this country that jobs belong to an employee. They DO NOT. They are the employer's job...and so an employer can pretty much do as he pleases...again, within the confines of the law. Here in Georgia, as an "at will employer" you can be canned for pretty much any reason at all. Many companies also add in to a job description, "and duties as required" which cover a LOT of ground. So if I own a company and I notice the bathroom is nasty, you are damn right I can pull someone off the floor and tell them to clean it.

Now..don't think I am saying that if an employer has an unsafe work area that it's OK...it's not. But most folks know that OSHA is damn joke anyway. Larger companies will pay the "hefty" fine of $11,000 over and over and over again and not blink an eye. Just look at the madness that's happening in the the ND oil fields...it's out of control and OSHA is pretty much powerless to do anything about it (or just won't).

To the OP...if you are good at what you do and are indeed a custom cabinet maker..you really should look into working for yourself. I have a neighbor who is a master carpenter and he has to beat people away...he's just too damn busy. So...if you don't like your company, or your boss then FIRE HIM and do it yourself.

17. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

Gun issue aside, if you reported a safety concern and they are trying to fire you, that is retaliation and OSHA will take that very seriously.

18. AtlPhilip

<--- Making a list of people he would never hire or recommend.

19. Archangel

As far as what you said here I agree.

But I draw the line at work that is unrelated to the job or business location.

Having an employee of your company do personal work on your home property is not a job related task. Nor is say cleaning a bathroom if your company employs a janitorial service... (obviously if you do not, that would not apply - and I did clean the bathroom at that job, we rotated that task through all the employees up to and including the shop manager)

So to carry that argument to its extreme, is it or would it be acceptable for the CEO of a company to order his vice presidents to come to his house and maintain his yard or be fired if they refuse? Or for a hospital to order a doctor to sweep the sidewalk in front of the hospital?

Where is the line drawn?

20. Archangel

<---- Making a list of people he would never consider working for, nor recommend anybody else work for them... ;-)