My Daughter is getting closer.......

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by inkdaddy, Nov 21, 2010.

1. inkdaddy

inkdaddy Member

2. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

18D is closed to females. 18 series (Special Forces) is male only.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I was just about to post that. Wonder if they opened it up.

4. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Didn't they make a movie like this once?

5. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Negative. All 18 series, along with 11, 13, 19 and a few others (Combat Arms) are all closed to females. If they ever open it up it will be all over the news.

Going 18 series is basically getting a new MOS. In order to go 18 series you must first complete and be selected at Special Forces Assessment/Selection (SFAS). After you are selected then you must undergo the training, which lasts different lengths of time for each Identifier, but the average is about a year. After you successfully complete that you are Special Forces Qualified and assigned to a Operational Detachment.

Females are not allowed in 18 series, nor are they allowed to attend SFAS.

6. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I've had a role in the training of of 18 Deltas, though minor at best. While I have little doubt this gal could complete the training, I have serious doubt she'd ever be utilized in that capacity. The MOS is not eligible for the Combat Medical Badge (CMB), but rather is only eligible for the Combat Infantry Badge (CIB). On a team, everybody knows every member's job. That means the medic must know how to set mines, as well as disarm mines, take over commo, or direct fire. I see no place where she would be assigned to a team in combat. The requirements for 18-D are clear. "Male only"!

Her energy, and skills could be better utilized. Encourage her to go to OCS.

7. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

The regs changed a few years ago. Medical Sergeants may choose to which award they wish to be awarded, the CIB or CMB. If he already has one then he can get the other, but only one may be worn at a time.

8. inkdaddy

inkdaddy Member

She will not be eligible for Special Ops units.....but the job that just opened for her is brand new......and it requires specialized medical skills and training. The only mos that meets the requirements right now is 18Delta...so thats where they are sending her....some of the training in the full 18D MOS she will not take. Guess it's a modified version of training for her new job.

9. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

We wish her well and respect what she's doing. I'd like to meet her one day.

10. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

You sure she may not be attending a class hosted by SF? I have never heard anyone attending another MOS course just to train and not operate in that MOS after the completion of the training. Especially SF.

11. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

God bless her - wherever she goes, I hope she kicks butt. She sounds bad :censored:. She will be a great benefit to this country & society once she gets out (unless she plans on being a lifer).

Keep us informed.

12. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

good thing they can vote now ;)

she sounds like an amazing individual. Wish her luck from all of us even Grunt. And I recall a movie made like this once as well...

13. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

what does that have to do with anything?

14. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

I was just picking on ya. No need to get riled up or anything. It just seems (not you persay) that a lot of those people in the military that don't think gays should be able to serve openly or even at all are the same ones who believe that only men should be able too. One day our military will realize this is 2010, it's ok to lose the 1950's mentality. I figure no matter race,sex or sexual preference, if you want to serve this country and put your life on the line for this country then who has the right to tell you no? GI-Jane wasn't based on true accounts but it certainly opened alot of peoples eyes that it was possible that a woman could do the exact same job.

Interesting page:

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/FirstWoman.asp

15. Match10

Match10 Active Member

What the heck does gay service have anything to do with the accomplishments of this fine woman in military? NOTHING! Get over it.

Congratulations to your daughter, Ink!

16. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Congrats, Ink! Tell her thank you from all of us. :righton: