My dad just had to draw his gun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by German Longshot, Dec 12, 2010.

1. German Longshot

German Longshot New Member

My dad just called me and told me that he had to draw his gun on someone. I don't know the details, but everyone is okay. There were no shots fired. Details to come later.

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I hope he's okay.

3. livesounder

livesounder New Member

What fool would take on a guy the size of your Dad?

I'm glad he's (apparently) OK.

4. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

Yes please keep us posted. VERY glad no shots had to be fired. Self defense or not, it's a good day if no one is injured.

5. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

+1

6. daily packer

daily packer New Member

OK, so this is what happened. My wife and I were looking for a parking space at Wally World in Lovejoy, we were passing in front of the doors and stopped as some folks came out from behind a car that was going the other way. So I stopped quickly, and immediately the guys wife started running her mouth, cursing and threatening to "drag your "A" out and beat your effin/a". Well my wife told her she could try and they mouthed at each other a couple times. I told my wife to hush and we went on, turning down the next lane. Than my wife says here comes her husband. Now I was blocked in front and rear and could not move my truck.So as he came behind the truck I eased my pistol out of my pocket and down by my side.The guy comes right to my window with his hands in his coat pocket and starts screaming at me though the window. I calmly told him to just walk away from our vehicle and go back to his family. And responded "F you, I'm gonna kill you mother effer" So as soon as those words came out of his mouth I brought my pistol across my chest and aimed directly at his face. I told him "Man you just threatened my life, I am blocked in here, and cant drive away, this is your last chance to just walk away!" He hesitated and I was really afraid he had something in his pocket since he still had his hands shoved in them. But he stepped back and said,"Oh I got something for your A, I'm gona kill your effin/a" and he walked away towards the isle he was parked on. Now the traffic cleared and we drove off. We left the parking lot and created some distance. As we drove away I had my wife call 911 and I asked for an officer to come meet to make a report.
    Now here was my thinking as all this happened:
    I have never felt so under gunned... because of recent set backs for us the only thing I have left to carry is my little .25 pocket pistol. This guys was wearing a thick carhardt working jacket, so my only option was to the head. We will have to do something about this after the first of the year!!!
    I would have driven off if I had anyway to. But we were pinned. I felt that after he had threatened my life, and I was also worried about my wife's safety, had he made any sudden moves I know I would have fired, I am glad I did not have to.
    I wanted to drive away, so he could not follow and escalate the situation and risk others on the road as well. So we found a place to park and immediately called 911, hoped to be the first to report. Felt that would be best.
    As far as the report went, Off.Loner of Love Joy Police Dept. was top notch. He pulled in beside us in the parking lot and we spoke from the vehicles so no one had to get out in the snow flurries and freeze. I told my story and he never batted an eye about the gun, a permit or anything else. While we were talking another officer called him and asked what he was charging me with and he told him nothing, i was in the right and I was the one who had called him! :righton: He gave me his card with the case number, we said Merry Christmas and stay safe. And went on our way.
    I will be calling and writing his supervisor to compliment him on a job very well done!!
    I have to say it took about an hour for the adrenaline to settle and my legs to quit shaking, but during the incident I think I did very well, remained calm and kept my composure. So.... What do you guys think. And if he had made a sudden move like jerking his hand out of his pocket, would I have been in the right to fire. And I will say ahead of time, I had already made up my mind to shoot if he did. So I am only asking what you guys think about legality.
    Well fire away. Let me know what you think!! And Thank God for letting everyone go home to their families. This was an extremely stupid situation. I cant imagine walking up on someone these days and risking my life like this guy did over as non-situation like what had happened!! :screwy:

7. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I think you handled it well. Pinned in, guy with his meat hooks in his pockets saying he was going to kill you. I think you handled it very well. You continued to make good choices by driving away and notifying the PD. Very glad you didn't have to drop a hammer. You did a very good job. I don't think anyone could find fault in you drawing..or firing if it had gone further.

8. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Good job. I had an encounter once while seated in a vehicle, it's limiting.

You wrote:
    I'm sure there is a joke there.

9. XshootX

XshootX New Member

I would've done the same thing. Glad no one was hurt.

10. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

I'd say you handled that as well as could be expected. You had nowhere to go and didn't pull your weapon until he threatened your life. Now, go out ASAP and get at least a .38 or 9mm, but preferably a .45.

11. GooberTim

GooberTim New Member

Don, I'm glad you're OK. Based on what you just described, you did fine IMO.

If there's a lesson to learn from this, it's knowing how quick things can get out of hand when you engage in "conversation" with some of society's lesser residents. :lol:

12. daily packer

daily packer New Member

No joke, his last name was Loner. He was a great guy and nothing but good things to say about the way things were handled. At least on my end. And said the guy was lucky to have walked away!!

13. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

I applaud you for the way you handled this situation and am glad that no one was hurt.

This is, however, a good example for spouses or people who are with a person carrying a firearm. They need to learn to mind their mouth. You did post that you told your wife to hush after her verbal confrontation with the other gal. This possibly would have never happened if your wife had just realized the ignorance and stupidity of the other person and let it go without "mouthing" back.

14. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

I'm glad you and the wife are ok and I'm glad you didn't have to do anything more.
    Stay safe.

15. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Was the BG wearing a hoodie ? Watch out for those guys.

16. js415

js415 Active Member

The one thing I really remember being beaten into my head at the last Personal tactics class I took, was that "if you can get away from a fight, or never get near a place/situation where a fight might happen", then that is what you need to do.

I'm glad it all worked out alright for everybody.

I would add that it might be a good time to talk to your wife about "mouthing" back at somebody that was acting like a fool.

If I read correctly, the other lady made the threats, and then your wife mouthed back.

If she had not mouthed back, you might have been able to just drive off after they left the crosswalk, and go about your shopping experience.

Don't get me wrong, I would have wanted to mouth off also, but I really have been trying to teach my daughter the better/finer points of taking the high road!!

You did good, and it sounds like you were prepared and mentally ready "to go".

No disrespect meant towards your wife, just my thoughts.

Your thoughts??

Thanks for a great learning experience,

Jerry

17. Swamper

Swamper Member

Congratulations on a job well done.
    Thank the lord your wife and you are well and there was no further action.
    You handled a difficult situation perfectly.

:righton:

18. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

No I didn't mean to imply you made fun of him. I just found that line funny. That's not a funny situation. Glad you and your wife are fine.

19. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

People are nuts. Well done! :righton:

I'm glad no one was hurt. I'm also glad to hear that you understood the point at which the moments of your life were no longer about Wally World. This is important.