my current situation... any words of wisdom ?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by artz, Sep 19, 2006.

1. artz

artz New Member

I am currently attending tax preparers school twice a week. Classes are held in the evening from 6:30 to 9:30 pm. The location (at the Jackson Hewitt tax service office ) and general area is not the most desirable part of town, if you know what I mean....and you do.
    Right next door is a Piggly Wiggly grocery store that is open until 10 pm. That store has been robbed at gunpoint at least 3 times in the last 2 to 3 years so a county deputy is stationed inside the store from like 5 pm to closing. His vehicle is easily spotted just outside the main door as a deterrent.
    ----
    One of my classmates is a city cop who carries the rank of sargent. He shows up to class in uniform without his duty belt. I study him constantly to see if he is carrying in a ankle holster because he's diffenently not carrying elsewhere. He must be very comfortable knowing either his uniform catches attention and no hanky-panky will happen or a "nahhh ! it'll never happen to us" attitude.
    ----
    I have a problem with all of this...I smell trouble. Here are a dozen people in a business that is well lighted inside with the front door unlocked and you can observe the goings on from way out in the parking lot, due to insufficient lighting. There is hardly any traffic except for the grocery store. A BG could very easily assess the situation, walk in the store announce a hold-up and commence to stripping us of our valuables. I have my Taurus in my book bag just in case (right where my wallet is). I would get very nervous knowing what I see and not having access to my ccw.
    I just had to report this to you guys....

2. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

Just saw this post over at CombatCarry, I believe. I'd do just what you're doing, at a minimum. Maybe consider an IWB tucked holster, but I think you're in pretty good shape as long as you've put some time in at the range quickly drawing from this bag. I often carry deep covered in a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. I take it to the range with me and can draw and shoot from it within about 3-4 seconds when it is on my shoulder.

Practice with this method of carry until you feel confident about it. Otherwise, carry another way.

Thoughts?

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

So you are in a sketchy neighborhood, but next door there's an armed deputy on duty with a marked patrol car parked in plain view.
    In your office there's a uniformed cop. You can see he's not armed, but people outside looking through the windows won't know that. They just see a guy in a police / security uniform.

My words of wisdom are to keep a gun handy, just in case. But I wouldn't say your odds of being robbed are better because of the circumstances you describe. You might even be safer than usual. But just being in rough neighborhood known for high crime rates is enough to make me want to keep MY Taurus handy.

4. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

Holy dead thread resurrection! :lol:

5. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

6. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

I wonder if he finished his tax course, yet. :)

7. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

I've been seeing quite a few 1-3 yr old threads getting bumped in the last day or so. If the site displaying them as New Posts to some people?

8. Ken1961

Ken1961 Student of the Arcane

The zombie apocalypse is starting.

9. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

There have been a few that look like new posts to me. This one included.

10. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

This is beyond "paddles". This has to be a sure nuff miracle to come back to life after this long. :lol: