My attempt at neighborhood watch

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by RIA45, Nov 17, 2010.

1. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

Since our vehicles were both raided in the last year or so I decided to walk our neighborhood at night and see whats going on around the block. My son was home alone at his mom's house so I walked by there and spoke to him on the phone. About a half mile or so around the corner and walking back towards my apartment a car slows down beside me and drives along beside me for a bit. Then, the car pulls over onto the grass but not fully out of the road. I back off the road into the ditch to see what these fools are doing. They wait in the car until a buddy comes down to the road and approaches the driver window.

At this point the guy reaches into the window and gets something from the driver. They speak to me by saying hi and the boy, I can now see this is a teen, drops something on the ground. I flood the area with my Surefire knockoff Coleman light and start asking questions. I ask who is who and why they are in the road and direct them to pull the car off the road. I ask a lot of questions and talk about how the scene looked from my perspective. The kid offered to let me frisk him for drugs. I searched the ground but didn't touch the kid. The other two youths now approach and I explained how the scene looked with them stopping and driving beside me.

I think I accomplished letting these turds know someone is watching them. The three boys were definately up to no good in my opinion. Why else would they stop on the street if they had permission to be in the driveway? And why would the "friends" sit in the car and conduct business through a half open window?

Edited to note I was carrying. :mrgreen:

2. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Whatever you do just dont detain anyone. (edit: or touch them)

Other than that good idea. I've been needing a excuse to get some exercise I may need to start doing that in my neighborhood.

3. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

And absolutely never present yourself as a police officer (unless of course you are one). Other than that, if you need to walk your neighborhood .... well you need to walk your neighborhood.

4. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

when you asked the kids what they were doing, what was the reply???

5. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

While we wait for an answer, I'm guessing it was "Nothing!"

6. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Where do you live where this stuff is happening? Surly not OTP. :D

7. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

Just hanging out. That's why I questioned the car and the half open window and the need to meet in the street.

Never presented myself as LEO, and won't detain anyone unless they commit a crime against me. I wanted to make sure I asked questions like a neighbor would, not a LEO. That's why early on I asked if they wanted me to call the SO to come out and speak with them so they would know that I didn't feel I had authority but was will to submit the situation to someone with authority.

By all means, please continue to offer support and advice.

8. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

I live in south Georgia, Thomasville.

9. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

Just curious, after all, you reached the conclusion they were "turds" in your OP. You used the term "friends" in quotes, and also referred to them as fools, as if that denotes something they were up to that I don't understand from your OP.
    I guess I am missing something....???

10. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

I called them turds because the resident of the home, the pedistrian for lack of a better term, was under 18, hiding Marlboro menthols in his underwear, and out in the road acting out a scene that was erily similar to a drug deal. The other guys, the driver especially, is a turd for parking, shutting off the car, and turning off his lights in the road while traffic continued to pass them from the rear. That is turd behavior. I didn't use the term punks because the may have only been fools for committing such foolish behavior as parking in the road. I assumed their behavior was criminal, and the boy referred to the occupants of the car as friends. Friends would pull into the yard, not text of call from the car as I observed.

Based on your comments Sheriff should I assume that your witnessing of similar behavior would go on without your involvment? I doubt it, however, I would like to know how a trained, seasoned Sheriff would handle this situation.

11. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

:jawdropper:

12. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

In your OP you didn't mention discovering the pedestrian, who was outside of his own home, had something hidden in his underwear..how did you discover that....???????

Don't get upset, I am thinking in terms of a 'seasoned Sheriff' and whether or not I would have had RAS to inquire further.....
    of course I can have a voluntary contact with anyone I choose, I just am trying to make this into a lesson in RAS.....

13. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

Sheriff,
    I tried to keep the OP to a minimum since it was running long. The boy (pedestrian, resident,etc...) was phoned or texted from the car. The occupants of the vehicle pulled to a stop, switched off the car and sat waiting for the minor - who was visibly below the age of 18 by my opinion. As I walked along the road the car pulled, slowed, traveled beside me, and switched off the lights. That, coupled with them parked halfway into the road, at night, with traffic coming from the rear would have been enough for RAS. When the boy approached the car he paid no attention to me on the other side of the road watching, he stuck his hand in the window. Then, he made contact to me by saying "Hey". From there I asked questions, pointed out the safety issue of the car, requested they move the car, or push it if there was a malfunction. When they moved the car into the drivway, further into the shadow of the night, the boy continued to speak to me. I told him he looked like he was doing a drug deal. Since his underwear were visible with his briches down I asked he pull them up. He took the smokes out of his underwear at that point. I asked questions about who the others were and made them all aware I was a home owner, not LEO. When I asked the boy what kind of drugs he just bought he said he was borrow a lighter. I asked what he dropped on the ground, in the road, and it was the lighter. I asked if any parents were home and if they wanted me to ask a deputy to come by to speak with them. They didn't. They also didn't need a wrecker.

Sheriff, I beleive that had LEO witnessed what I did RAS would have existed. 1. the car parked in the road. 2. the hand in the window looked like a drug deal. 3. The boy said I could frisk him when I asked what kind of drugs he bought.

My opinion is that either he really borrowed a lighter or was doing a deal and I interupted it. The whole scene had an appearance of criminality to it. There is a saying, you can smell a skunk, but not see it. That doesn't mean the skunk was never there. You just didn't see it.

What would be my legal rights if I actually witnessed a crime 10 feet away. A call to 911 goes without saying. If i asked the youths to sit there while I called 911 and they did so would I be held liable? Unless there was a violent crime committed I wouldn't use force to detain. But if I asked you to sit while I called the police, and you complied would that be considered a crime on my part? If I only called 911, and gave a statement, could that be used by LEO to question the youths?

14. samman23

samman23 New Member

It sounds like you watched a kid borrow a lighter from his friend that parked in the street when there was a driveway available who had cigarettes.

It's not a bad idea to talk to people in your neighborhood but being polite is a good idea. If they are criminal elements and people ask questions they'll be discouraged to come back. If you get abrasive, it may bite you in the back.

15. JMan

JMan New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

I was never impolite. I didn't shine the flashlight in their faces or anything like that. I probably wouldn't have stopped to see what was going on if they had not stopped the car, in the street, in traffic, next to me as I walked down the road.