My 38 Special Ammo Test

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by powhs, Dec 22, 2010.

1. powhs

powhs New Member

Just bought a Ruger 38 cal LCR snub and tested a couple loads today.

First bullet is a Remington 125+p. This bullet chronographed an average of 910fps and opened to .42cal measuring one direction and .50 cal measuring the the other direction on the face of the mushroom.
    It penetrated 4 one gall size water filled milk jugs. The outside temperature was 75 degrees.

Second bullet is the Remington 158+p LSWCHP. It opened to .62 cal and penetrated 3 milk jugs. This bullet chronographed to an average of 810fps.

I was surprised that the recoil was a little more with the 125 grain and it penetrated deeper than the 158. Still I belive the 158 with the larger mushroom will work better for defense. My reload is always plain old swc just in case deeper penetration is needed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Good test and photos.

I've never been able to get .38 special ammo to reliably expand out of a little 2" barreled revolver.

The most I normally get is slight expansion / deformation that messes up the nose of the bullet a bit.

But I figure that if the tip of the bullet is slightly flattened or partially expanded, it will do a better job of ripping tissue instead of pushing it aside as it slips through the meat.

3. powhs

powhs New Member

Living in a rural area were each week I see two or three deer dead beside the road that were hit by cars. Occasionally one is still alive so I will put it out of it's misery. After shooting several with different 380 loads I started carring the 38. It works a whole lot better with it's heaver bullets.

4. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

I used to carry the Remington 158gr for years. It has the historical track record of enabling many BGs to move onto the afterlife.

If you ever get the chance, try testing the Speer 135 gr Gold Dot HP "Short Barrel" load in comparison.

5. powhs

powhs New Member

Can't find any around here now. If you send me a couple and I'll try them and post.

6. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

Looks like the "FBI" load did fine in you rsnub. I plan to track some down and test it in my 4inch.

7. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

I'm thinking about selling/trading my wife's CW9 and getting an LCR for her, due to ease of operation and the supposed manageable recoil. I had a Taurus Ultra Lite 85 about a year ago and it was a serious handful for her. Shouldn't the LCR be more manageable than that? Need hands on advice plz.

8. ber950

ber950 Active Member

NYPD had the same complaint. Thats why they went to Speer and asked for a new design that would expand and penetrate out of a 1 7/8" Smith.

The Speer GDSB 135 gr won't quite make the FBI protocol but it does pretty well. About 10 or 11 inches average with expansion.