My .22lr Glock

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Lightsped, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Lightsped

Lightsped Guest

I bought a Advantage Arms .22lr Law Enforcement kit for my Glock 19c.

In the box it has a paper that says not to dry fire the Glock with this kit installed. Why is this?

Also, it states not to use Federal or Remington "Thunderbolt" ammo. Has anyone tried using this ammo? Is that ammo too weak or too strong?

Anyone else have any experience with a Advantage Arms kit on their Glock?

I'll have some pics up tonight.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I haven't heard anything about them. Generally you shouldn't dry fire rimfires. I think it has to do with how the firing "pin" is set up. Maybe that particular ammo won't cycle the slide properly? I think bullet weight is really what matters there.

3. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

You are correct. What's happening at impact is you're mashing the firing 'pin' which is just a flat coupon against the end of the barrel. This can damage the barrel was well as the portion of the coupon that is actually striking the barrel. Here's what it looks like in ascii:

Firing pin deformation (exaggerated):

_________
    _|
    |_________

With centerfire pins, the behavior is different. What happens when the hammer strikes the pin is that a stress propagates thru the pin at the material's acoustic speed (speed of sound). What happens at the end of the pin is that the stress wave is reflected and returns to the hammerface where it is partially transmitted to the hammer and relected back to the end of the pin and on an on until the energy is disipated. It is important to note, where the pin terminates, there is a doubling effect of the stress seen due to the reflection.

The best way to imagine this is if you have a rope or a slinky and wiggle it such that waves begin to travel along its length. to visualize the doubling effect at the point of reflection, have someone wiggle the other end at the same frequency... the waves will add together where they meet before moving on...

/the more you know!

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

So just get some snap caps and you'll be good to go. Even fired casings would probably work, just be careful :shock:

5. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Fired casings will not be reliable for centerfire.

They're be fine for rimfire until they get chewed up.

rimfire Snap caps get chewed up too

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I'm just talking about the rimfire. Just use them for a little while. Cheap, economical, and you won't be reloading them anyway.

7. Lightsped

Lightsped Guest

Here are the pics of my AA 22lr Law Enforcement kit mounted on my Glock 19c frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I thought about getting one, but I do have my .22 rifle. Does Ceiner make Glock kits?

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

No Cheap Ammo

Cheap ammo like Remington "Thunderbolt" or Winchester "Wildcat" seem to have a higher rate of malfunctions. Most of the time, they're just as good, but with these cheap promotional brands, I think the quality control / inspection process is cut back to produce more rounds faster, which means that occasionally a bad one gets shipped. With other batches of ammo, they pull more of them for Q.C. and if a round from that batch is bad, the whole batch gets recycled or re-inspected. With cheap ammo the factory doesn't bother.

At least that's how I think it works.

That's why some gun / accessory manufacturers urge you to avoid such cheap promotional ammo.

I use it anyway for plinking, but switch to high quality brands (like CCI Mini Mags) for serious business.

10. shrews

shrews New Member

AA conversion kit

Lightsped, very cool kit. I think you'll really like it. Just remember that
    WARNING!!!!!! DO NOT DRY FIRE!!!!!! Critical for rim fires. Really puts a dent in the breechface and can foul up the firing pin tip.
    I have owned an AA kit for my 19 for a few years now. I rarely use it as I don't have time to :( but I have the AA long barrel(can't get em any more, but I could be wrong-call em) for it so I can use my little Gemtech Outback. 8) I will post a pic when I can.later......mr.t.

11. mmmTang

mmmTang Member

back from the dead

I bought an AA kit for my G17 a few days ago. That thing is fun! Now I can shoot 550 rounds for $11 instead of $90, and I get the same trigger, sights, and grip. And now my wife won't be so timid about shooting the Glock. It will pay for itself within a few thousand rounds, so that part makes me happy. Accuracy seems to be fine for my purposes too. I put all 10 rounds of the first magazine into the bullseye at 12 yards, and that's pretty good for me. I do think the rear sight is a little to the right which probably explains why I'm completely on target, but as long as it makes me look good I ain't changing a thing. :D