muscogee, columbus, ga question

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by bbd924, May 10, 2007.

1. bbd924

bbd924 Guest

Hey, I'm new to the forum and have a question about liscense eligibility. I have a misdemeanor possesion of marijuana charge from 1990, but other than that I have a clean record. Would this disqualify me from getting a pistol permit? Thanks

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Were you convicted of MJ possession?

3. bbd924

bbd924 Guest

Yea, in 1990. Paid fine

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Then I am sorry my friend. Per our ridiculous laws you are ineligible for a Georgia Firearms License.

My suggestion would be to have it expunged from your record.

5. bbd924

bbd924 Guest

The charge was in Alabama. Will that make any difference?

6. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that you can't get a conviction expunged. All you can get expunged is arrest that were dismissed prior to trial. I don't think that you can even get an arrest expunged in which you were found not guilty at trial. This is based on the Georgia rules.

--

I think that the only thing you could do is to petition the Pardon and Parol Board for a "restoration of rights". Stuff in Alabama is most likely different, and I doubt that the Gerogia board can do something with an Alabama conviction.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Unfortunately, no.

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

https://www.georgiapacking.org/ga-ag/u97-29.htm

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

https://www.georgiapacking.org/ga-ag/u05-3.htm

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The Expunging of a trial for Alabama may be different than in Georgia.

Basically you need to find out if there is anyway you record in Alabama can be completly erased (from a background check). If there is no way, then you are out of luck.

11. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Do you recall if you were charged with a state law violation or a city ordinance violation? If the latter, there is a possibility that the case was not reported and included in your criminal record. Some jurisdictions do not keep statewide records on municipal infractions. If you don't know, then you may want to find out.

12. bbd924

bbd924 Guest

It was a violation where I went to court and pled guilty.
    After researching today, I found out Alabama does not expunge or remove any misdemeanors from records. The crazy thing is, I had a pistol permit when I lived in Alabama, where the conviction was, and now cannot get one in Georgia. thanks for the help, guess im out of luck.

13. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Is there any procedure for petitioning for a pardon in AL?

14. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Do you remember if it was a municipal court of some kind, or a court of general jurisdiction?

15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Unless the pardon completely erases the record (so the background check is clean) then it does not matter. Even with a pardon for a drug conviction you are still not eligible.

16. bbd924

bbd924 Guest

It was Phenix City municipal court I think. I had to go to recorders court.

I've just sent an e-mail to the Alabama pardons and parole board. I'll see how that goes. thanks

17. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

You might want to check your own AL criminal history and see what shows up. As I said before, a municipal court (or recorder's court) conviction may not go any further than that court's own files.

18. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You can probably still get a permit from several states, GA is just draconian when it comes to drugs and the GFL.

19. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Just remember that Georgia's permit is the only one you can use in Georgia, if you live in Georgia.

20. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Please listen to jrm on this one. You need to find out if this is something on your actual criminal record. City violations do not generally count.

Your need to obtain your own criminal record.

Do we have a thread on here instructing people on how to run their own criminal record? If not, maybe we should do that.