Murder or self-defense? Shooting at a bar in Norcross

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Boy Racer, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I will be watching this case very closely.

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

That pretty much settles it.

3. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

4. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The question will be why did he come back after leaving? Did he go arm himsels and come back looking for trouble? Even if ruled self defence, the shooter isn't protected from any civil or criminal liability, since he was at a PG.

6. VolGrad

tou·ché

7. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

My butt? :?: What about it? :-k

=; Nevermind, I don't wanna know. :mrgreen:

8. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

The AJC story basically reads like this: The victim, a regular at this bar, arrived drunk and was acting like an ass. He was asked to leave, by both patrons and management. He got angry about that and started multiple fights on the way out. He drove away, but soon came back with a gun, ostensibly looking for revenge. Unfortunately for him, he got shot by his intended victim first. BTW - one shot, to the head, was all it took. I wonder what caliber it was?

The shooter apparently is being allowed to skate on this one: they're calling it self defense.

The lesson we learn today from observation is that the prosecuting attorneys in GA are OK with citizens breaking GA laws, they'll not prosecute us anyway, so we should carry everywhere - even off limit places like bars.

Or maybe they don't know that the bar is an off-limits place? Maybe they don't know that what he was doing was a misdemeanor?

9. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I would love to draw those conclusions and knowing the attitude of our DA in Gwinnett they may be right. However I would not expect the same consideration in Fulton or Dekalb county.

Of course the truth may be that the shooter was exempted from the PG clause. There are a lot of exemptions and some are not hard to acquire. I would not be surprised if a large number of folks in the GASDF joined for the exemption.

10. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Everyone is worried about the public gathering clause but I don't see that as the issue. The fact that this place seems to serve alcohol is what I would be worried about.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Places that serve alcohol are in the public gatherings law.

12. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Doh!

13. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

God bless Danny Porter for not filing charges on this one if that's the way it works out.

14. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

How often do those guys actually train or do anything? I understand it's diffrent from the actual Georgia National Guard. I read a little bit from there website, I actually got the link from this site in another thread I believe.

15. VolGrad

I am really curious about them too. Their website doesn't really say too much.

16. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Its a lot different from the National Guard. The National Guard is an element of the United States Army and can be federalized by order of the president. The Army Reserve and National Guard are very similar and together compromise over one half of our standing national army.

The Georgia State Defense Force is a state organization that is comprised of unpaid volunteers and does not fall under the control of the national government. They do have drills each month, similar to the reserve and guard, but those drills, while encouraged, are not mandatory. You can be released from the GSDF if you frequently miss drills though.

The GSDF has very strict provisions against the carrying of any type of weapon by its members while they are in uniform, or even out of uniform while they are on GSDF business. This includes chemical sprays and batons, as well as any type of firearm.

While the law, as written, reads to allow exceptions for members of the Defense Department, and while the GSDF does fall under the auspices of the Georgia Department of Defense, I wouldn't want to be the test case for any arrest that was based off of carrying a firearm in an area that I was supposedly allowed to carry in simply because of my status as a member of the GSDF. Personally, I don't think that arguement would fly in a court for the simple reason that I don't see how a court could accept that you are exempted from carry provisions by statute while out of uniform when you are completely prohibited from carrying while in uniform or conducting business of the GSDF.

I'm sure someone will point out the exemption portion of the statute and how GSDF members technically fall under the coverage of the exemptions and they may be correct. But, I'll just stand back and let one of you try out that arguement in court first :)

17. VolGrad

I follow your argument and agree you would likely not have a cut-and-dry legal battle. However, this makes me also wonder about the FFTO (Federal Flight Tech Officer, IIRC). When I was in Clyde yesterday one came and was asking about LEO pricing on Glocks. The guy behind the counter didn't even know what a FFTO was, although he technically has the LEO creds what would his reasoning be for the ability to carry in PGs and other prohibited places? It is doubtful he needs to fight hi-jackers at Applebees. I am not arguing or trying to be a [email protected]$$, just stating he would likely have the same troubles as the GSDF guys. Does anyone know if the FFTOs would be allowed same carry rights?

18. Macktee

Macktee New Member

OK VOLGRAD:

Ya got me on this one. What is a FFTO (Federal Flight Tech Officer, IIRC)?

:?: :?: :?:

19. Bags57

Bags57 Member

I believe the term is Federal Flight Deck Officer. If I recall correctly it's a part of the Air Marshall program and was created when the Federal Government decided that if an airline pilot could be trained to handle a big passenger jet then you might be able to carry a gun on an aircraft and not shoot yourself or anybody else (except a terrorist).

I

20. VolGrad

You are probably correct. I might have heard him incorrectly. I was fondling GunNut's new 245 at the time so was a little distracted. He was a pilot. I think the fancy title is like BAGS said, just let's him carry a gun now after some training.