Mugged in DC

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by R65, Sep 9, 2006.

1. R65

R65 New Member

Over the holiday weekend I was eating with some anti-gun acquaintances of mine.(friends of a friend) They relayed a story of how one of them was mugged at gun point in Washington D.C. Not wanting to get into a political debate I merely mentioned "I thought DC had ordinances or laws prohibiting guns. How could that happen?" The one telling the story fell into it and said "Well, criminals don't follow the laws do they!? Also, many surrounding cities make it way too easy to get a gun." I got the feeling she was suggesting that more gun banning was necessary.

I just smiled

p.s.-yes mugging is terrible and carrying a gun does not make you exempt from suprise attacks

2. artz

artz New Member

...more gun laws...yeah...right...

Crime happens to the best of us, even when we don't expect it.
    I hate to say this 'cause it might start an uproar, but this is how I feel...people who are anti-gun deserve a piece of victim pie.
    This robbery happened in D.C. , where there are no legal ccw's though.
    If I had to be in D.C. , it wouldn't be after dark nor in the wrong place. The robbery coulda been avoided just by observing and using common sense.... but who knows.
    Maybe your "friend of a friend" will wake up and smell the coffee one day... :idea:

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Then why are those surrounding cities safer?

I wonder whether she "feels" as likely to be the victim of an armed robbery while hanging out with you, while you are armed, in a city park in Alexandria, Virginia, you know, where it is "way too easy to get - and carry - a gun?

That would have been my only question.

I wonder how the conversation would have went at that point?

Maybe this will be a step on the trip to becoming pro-gun. They say conservatives are only liberals who have been mugged.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Your friend might like to see this!

(NY) Woman in wheelchair on way to gun practice shoots mugger

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/09/whe...cnn_topstories

NEW YORK (AP) -- Margaret Johnson might have looked like an easy target.

But when a mugger tried to grab a chain off her neck Friday, the wheelchair-bound 56-year-old pulled out her licensed .357 pistol and shot him, police said.

Johnson said she was in Manhattan's Harlem neighborhood on her way to a shooting range when the man, identified by police as 45-year-old Deron Johnson, came up from behind and went for the chain.

"There's not much to it," she said in a brief interview. "Somebody tried to mug me, and I shot him."

Deron Johnson was taken to Harlem Hospital with a single bullet wound in the elbow, police said. He faces a robbery charge, said Lt. John Grimpel, a police spokesman.

Margaret Johnson, who lives in Harlem, has a permit for the weapon and does not face charges, Grimpel said. She also was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and later released.

Score another one for the good guys.

5. artz

artz New Member

Thats all that matters ! ... I love it !..... 8)

6. tony218

tony218 New Member

over on PDO they were saying this woman (and her story)
    should be the poster child for the NRA. i agree.

7. Malum Prohibitum

8. kkennett

kkennett New Member

My wife and I had a great high five over this story on Saturday. What a great thing!