Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
We can sure hope, I hope this turns out good, instead of turning out really bad.

The last thing I would want to see would be a Theocracy to take hold in Egypt, for the sake of the Egyptian people.

I'd like to see something closer to a democracy or a Republic set up there, but that may be too much to hope for.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the military taking over that has suddenly become a very remote possibility.

Keep in mind that Nasser, Sadat, and Mubarak all came from one of the governing councils. So the real danger for the Egyptian people is a fourth dictator come to save the people. But you know that if he offers 'stability' Obama will support him. And nothing will change.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
bdee said:
With the military taking over that has suddenly become a very remote possibility.

Keep in mind that Nasser, Sadat, and Mubarak all came from one of the governing councils. So the real danger for the Egyptian people is a fourth dictator come to save the people. But you know that if he offers 'stability' Obama will support him. And nothing will change.
That makes me sad. I had real hope for the Egyptian people. :(

I was so inspired by their protesting.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Very very rarely, cant think of a single instance ATM, does the Military ever just take over for stability, and then not conspire somehow to keep power.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He has announced he will continue until September. Claims to stay on to oversee the transition. @$#% is going to get crazy tomorrow.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like Suleiman to take over most of the presidential duties. The people are not going for it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
EJR914 said:
bdee said:

Why, exactly? I mean, it was the US who put these autocracies in power and gave them the military to back it. We like cheap gas. Hell, what do we give to Egypt every year in military aid? 1.2 BILLION dollars is it? America has never wanted democracy in the middle east, we want cheap gas. And using the word democracy is incorrect, anyway. The US isn't even a democracy.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Why haven't we slipped in some RPG's and mortars for the protesters? Better yet, light artillery against Sharm el-Sheikh!

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
elorei said:
EJR914 said:
bdee said:

Why, exactly? I mean, it was the US who put these autocracies in power and gave them the military to back it. We like cheap gas. Hell, what do we give to Egypt every year in military aid? 1.2 BILLION dollars is it? America has never wanted democracy in the middle east, we want cheap gas. And using the word democracy is incorrect, anyway. The US isn't even a democracy.
The problem the US has is that when we support these oppressive regimes we generate hatred from their people. If we are seen to support financially and militarily the very people that are oppressing them, why wouldn't they hate us? So because these folks aren't in a position to fight back against us on a battlefield they strike out at the regime and their backers, us. But that's what we intended the whole time. To give our government a reason to move into the area and establish 'stability,' to suppress the very thing we created.

You might be interested to know that our government helped to create and fund both Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood, with the help of our 'friends' in other intelligence agencies. These groups are our puppets to help advance our foreign policy goals.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,726 Posts
Heard about a survey the other day. Don't have all the details now, but 84% of the Egyptian people agreed that anyone who converted from Islam to Christianity should be executed.

That tells me no matter who comes out on top in this conflict, don't expect miracles.

As far as Mubarak stepping down any time soon - smoke and mirrors.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Phil1979 said:
Heard about a survey the other day. Don't have all the details now, but 84% of the Egyptian people agreed that anyone who converted from Islam to Christianity should be executed.

That tells me no matter who comes out on top in this conflict, don't expect miracles.

As far as Mubarak stepping down any time soon - smoke and mirrors.
Egypt's Hosni Mubarak resigned as president and handed control to the military on Friday, bowing down after a historic 18-day wave of pro-democracy demonstrations by hundreds of thousands.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Him stepping down doesn't mean regime change. It might just be musical chairs.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,726 Posts
bdee said:
Him stepping down doesn't mean regime change. It might just be musical chairs.
Exactly. He ain't leavin' the country, as he will be the military's new "special advisor".

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Wael Ghonim for President?

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, I imagine he'll be off to Saudi, if he isn't there already. If he stayed in the country, he would remain the focus, so he'll be scapegoated by those reestablishing the old regime.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
do you think this would work here in the states? If hundreds of thousnads sat on the door step if the white house and demanded he step down? Ehh who am i kidding... They would tear gas us and beat us with riot sticks...

Wonder whats in store for Egypt now.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Turns out Mubarak fell into a coma after the speech saying he was staying put.

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/ ... 37565.html

I am going to have to call BS on this one. Now it is possible that there was an assassination attempt, but I think more likely is that he'll have to come to the US for treatment, where he'll wake up in exile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts