Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saying the law violates both the 1st and 14th Amendments, this anti-lgbt law is found unconstitutional.

Saying that lawmakers were using their own religious beliefs to allow for government agents to discriminate, they found it in violation of the 14th Amendment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...8dc2ca-3ec9-11e6-a66f-aa6c1883b6b1_story.html

As someone discussed in another thread, rights are not created by the government, the ability to choose ones own life partner in an inherent right, and using one's own religious beliefs in creating laws that favor one particular religious code in unconstitutional, even if that tradition is long standing.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,932 Posts
Yes, you have the right to choose your life partner, but you don't have the right to marry just anyone. Common sense enlightens the mind enough to know that marriage is between a man and a woman. Government artificially created the right of "gay marriage" using its humanist religion bias as justification.

·
PawPaw x 3
8,810 Posts
Here is the bill, in case anybody is interested in reading it.

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2016/html/HB/1500-1599/HB1523SG.htm
Thanks for posting. It was far easier to find.
I am not a lawyer so a quick question if I may and if you will please.
By declaring this law unconstitutional, the door is left open for the Government to prosecute and/or punish individual citizens who, on the basis of their religious beliefs, refuse to do business with other citizens, is it not?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
...but you don't have the right to marry just anyone... Common sense enlightens the mind enough to know that marriage is between a man and a woman. Government artificially created the right of "gay marriage" using its humanist religion bias as justification.
Uh, yeah, that's not the case anymore.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Yes, you have the right to choose your life partner, but you don't have the right to marry just anyone. Common sense enlightens the mind enough to know that marriage is between a man and a woman. Government artificially created the right of "gay marriage" using its humanist religion bias as justification.
Why should the government be involved in marriage at all? It's just a contract. If you want to get religion involved then your church can handle it, but what business does the government have in marriage?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Does this mean I can have force a Muslim caterer to make little ham sandwiches.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is a caterer a government agent?
He's just trolling.

But back to the law at hand, with Obergefell SCOTUS applied strict scrutiny on marriage, so any law restricting who one wants to marry has to show that there is a compelling governmental interest in doing so,

Apparently allowing government agents the right to impose their own personal religious beliefs on the public they serve doesn't meet that standard. Who knew???

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Thanks for posting. It was far easier to find.
I am not a lawyer so a quick question if I may and if you will please.
By declaring this law unconstitutional, the door is left open for the Government to prosecute and/or punish individual citizens who, on the basis of their religious beliefs, refuse to do business with other citizens, is it not?
Yes, but I do not think Mississippi has any such laws it could use to punish such conduct.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Is a caterer a government agent?
Is this the law that would be like the gay wedding cake? I saw the tread and heard about it on the radio.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is this the law that would be like the gay wedding cake? I saw the tread and heard about it on the radio.
You must be confusing Mississippi for Colorado.

But just so you know, one is in the Deep South, and one isn't.

Additionally, I am not sure if you realized it, but they have different laws.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
No, what I heard was comparing the two. I was under the impression the law was going to allow people to say "no I am not going to bake a gay cake"

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems there is a real problem differentiating between state employees in Mississippi, and private businesses in Colorado.

First, Colorado and Mississippi are different states. Second, they have different laws.

Good so far?

Now here's where it gets tricky. Mississippi wanted to allow government agents to impose their personal religious beliefs on the public they serve. A federal judge said they could not.

But you brought up forcing Muslims to bake you a cake, now you seem to have been confused between Islam and homosexual marriage, but the bakery was a private company, and it was in Colorado. So it has nothing to do with the law in Mississippi.

Hope this clears things up for you.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Can you not read? Did you fail reading comprehension? I said the news report I heard was wrong obviously. They said it would have allowed people to discriminate based on their religious beliefs it did not mention government. Do you understand now? Or are you going to continue to act like an:3hat:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Can you not read? Did you fail reading comprehension? I said the news report I heard was wrong obviously. They said it would have allowed people to discriminate based on their religious beliefs it did not mention government. Do you understand now? Or are you going to continue to act like an:3hat:
My advice?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Now here's where it gets tricky. Mississippi wanted to allow government agents to impose their personal religious beliefs on the public they serve. A federal judge said they could not.
To others reading - I believe bdee is being intentionally misleading at this point. His post does have a little truth in it, but he is purposefully speaking on a very narrow point that completely misrepresents the law passed in Mississippi. I encourage others reading to read it for themselves (I posted a link to it in post number 3) and do some research on their own to see whether bdee is being completely open and honest, telling the whole truth.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing disingenuous about what I've written. That is what the law intended, and was found unconstitutional because of it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.