Mr Eastman should give us a free table for each show...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tinkerhell, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Sitting at the booth Sunday afternoon Merlock, Packin Peaches, and the NRA son & dad all bough a new weapon. I got one the day before. If I calculate right between the above stated group we dropped over $2000.
    We were all horrible to each other:
    "You really should go ahead & get that AK man. That guy over there has the best deal at the show."
    "Come on. They both got new guns today. How can you NOT get something?!"
    "You know dad, if we both get a new gun then mom has to spread out her ire to both of us instead of ganing up on just one of us..."
    "I'll defend you dad if you buy that AK. I tell mom it was just too good of a deal."

It went on & on.

The other GCO members may have picked up something too but I'm not positive.

As for me (and Merlock since we both got the same thing) I'm now the proud owner of an WASR10. Can't wait to get to work on cleaning it up & trying it out this coming weekend. Hopefully a new safe to go along with it later this week (anyone want to come & help me unload & install it?).
    Pics to come!!

2. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

I didn't know I was going to be at the show, otherwise I would have volunteered.

I did make a trade for a Chinese SKS. Bought a couple of Tapco 20rd mags for it and a 500rd case of Brown Bear 7.62x39. So that is $135 or so.

3. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

Hey RepeatDefender, it was nice meeting you at the show on Saturday.

4. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Nice to meet you too, sir. I can't remember the handle of the other fellow. You know how the mind works when all those guns are around... :lol:

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Nice. I like my WASR10. It was crappy at first because I didn't do the best job at getting all of the cosmoline off. But, I disassembled it (field strip + furniture removal) and 4 cans of brake cleaner and half a can of furniture polish, it looks pretty sharp and shoots just fine. A few feeding problems since, but that was the ammo (dented case). I still haven't sighted it in, but it seems to be fairly accurate as is.

6. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

The older NRA dad suggested taking our new toys to most any auto shop. He said most places have a part cleaning tub filled with mineral spirits. You dunk the whole weapon, furniture & all, in the tub & bring along a nice stiff but non-abrasive brush & just clean it the heck out of it. Then take it home & break it down, spot clean & then oil it all up really well. I may skip taking mine to a garage but getting a large bin & a gallon or so of mineral spirits sounds reasonable. Of course I have to figure out how to field strip it & all that. I know nothing about ak's except that I enjoyed the heck out of shooting them. Once I get it cleaned up I intend to replace the furniture on mine and get some nice looking pieces of wood. The stuff on there now looks a bit rough & it's got a black plastic hand grip. *blah* I want all wood.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, the auto parts mineral bath is what was originally recommended to me. I didn't have access to such a place at the time. Soaking in a bucket of brake cleaner was the alternative recommended to me. I couldn't afford a 5 gallon bucket of brake cleaner, so I bought 4 cans of spray cleaner and a plastic bucket and just sprayed down every groove and corner. I took the furniture off of mine because I'm sure brake cleaner wouldn't have gotten along with the wood. I also wanted to polish up the wood a bit. The buttstock and upper/lower handguards are the only wood parts on mine.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

There are really easy to field strip and work on. A few sites to get you started:

http://www.ak-47.net/index.htm

http://www.ak-47.us/

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml

And some things on: http://www.ar15.com/

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:righton:

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Eastman donates tables (2) to the NRA.

11. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Hmmmm. Well, only one was used in Macon. If he always gives two maybe we could talk the NRA into letting us have one of them. hehehe.

12. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

specially since they owe us at least one :x

13. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Why is that?

14. Macktee

Macktee New Member

The NRA gets tables for FREE!!!

Shouldn't GCO get the same deal?

Someone needs to talk to Eastman about this.

So, how about it Tink???

What with youse guys being buddies and all...

:wink:

15. merlock

merlock Active Member

I'm going to start working on mine this weekend. 8)

16. merlock

merlock Active Member

Tink...have you fessed up to the missus yet? :shattered:

:D

17. merlock

merlock Active Member

:pointlol:
    LOL, we *were* pretty bad, weren't we? :lol:

I sure liked the kids' Garand! 8)

18. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Nope, she finds out this weekend.
    Should be a non-issue though. (now the $400 I spent on ammo after that may end up causing a little spat but we shall see... :hardhead: )

I'm hoping to get mine cleaned up Sat morning & then do some plinking after noon.