Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
CountryGun said:
State Police will cite for two miles over the speed limit. Everybody else may or may not grant you 10 miles per hour.

There's a stretch between Harlem and Ft. Gordon upon which officers regularly blow my doors off, even though I'm doing near 65 mph. I have no doubt but what they are doing 75-80. What can I do. I have called in the unit number, and never got a response. EMTs and Firemen are also frequent offenders. They seem to know their "brothers" won't pull them over. I reported the driver of a firetruck after he abused the use of his siren and lights to run a red light, and almost broadsided me as I had the green! The driver quickly turned off the lights after running the intersection, and resumed "normal" speed. He even stopped, behind other cars, at the next intersection.

So, how does a citizen make an arrest when they can't actually stop the idiots involved?
I just can't help myself. There is no State Police in GA; so, they can't cite you for anything.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
For those that want to read through all of the laws on the use of speed detection, start with 40-14-1 O.C.G.A. and read through the rest of the chapter. There are places where the 10mph rule are in effect and places were it isn't. Also, it applies to some peace officer, but it doesn't apply to others.

Speed detection devices aren't the only way to make a speeding case.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
legacy38 said:
CountryGun said:
State Police will cite for two miles over the speed limit. Everybody else may or may not grant you 10 miles per hour.

There's a stretch between Harlem and Ft. Gordon upon which officers regularly blow my doors off, even though I'm doing near 65 mph. I have no doubt but what they are doing 75-80. What can I do. I have called in the unit number, and never got a response. EMTs and Firemen are also frequent offenders. They seem to know their "brothers" won't pull them over. I reported the driver of a firetruck after he abused the use of his siren and lights to run a red light, and almost broadsided me as I had the green! The driver quickly turned off the lights after running the intersection, and resumed "normal" speed. He even stopped, behind other cars, at the next intersection.

So, how does a citizen make an arrest when they can't actually stop the idiots involved?
I just can't help myself. There is no State Police in GA; so, they can't cite you for anything.
Forgive me, "Georgia State Patrol."

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
CountryGun said:
legacy38 said:
CountryGun said:

If you think I'm touchy about the "d" word, refer to one of them as the State Police.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
legacy38 said:
If you think I'm touchy about the "d" word, refer to one of them as the State Police.
:lol: Oh yeah....

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,895 Posts
jasonb said:
I was told by a Suwanee PO a while back that Gwinnett can't do tickets for less than 10 over. I've read that and heard that many times also. I don't know how true it is.
I think it was a case of "he's got the balls (or lack of brains) to pace me?!?" He was really friendly though! And no mention of weapons came up. And neither of us shot anyone that I am aware of.

And as far as the original topic.. I took a trip to Savannah last weekend. I noticed a similar thing on I-16 once each way. And I love that couple of miles stretch of cones blocking off a lane each way with not a piece of equipment in sight.
ask and you receive...locals can pace though just no radar for less than 10mph... http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/200 ... -14-8.html no one can but the people listed in the exceptions and the locals for certain areas

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
CountryGun said:
legacy38 said:
CountryGun said:

Don't you mean GSP: God's Special Police?

G

·
legacy38 said:
CountryGun said:
legacy38 said:
CountryGun said:

I'm guessing "Deputy"?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
CountryGun said:
There's a stretch between Harlem and Ft. Gordon upon which officers regularly blow my doors off, even though I'm doing near 65 mph. I have no doubt but what they are doing 75-80.
Those would be the Richmond County deputies who live in Columbia County or McDuffie County, driving their take-home cars to work? I pass them every evening, going the other direction. There are at least three of them, and they are not even on-duty, driving that fast.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,688 Posts
spector said:
jasonb said:
I got a verbal warning obviously. .
I don't believe he's allowed to write you a ticket for anything under 10mph. Weird story. Guy sounds like a clown.
Pacing he can, but some jurisdictions have guidelines for how many over. Only if they're using a detection device (radar, lidar, etc.) and then there are exceptions for that such as GSP, school zones, historic districts, etc.

To the OP, are you sure they were actually LEOs? There are many ex police cruisers riding around that look like unmarked cars and a few idiots who like to play with blue lights. Did the lights look professionally installed (in the grill, etc.), or just something sitting inside the car?

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
He did say they lit the blues....

·
Registered
210 Posts
O.C.G.A 40-14-18

Does not apply to GSP

40-14-8. (a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour and no conviction shall be had thereon unless such speed is more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit. (b) The limitations contained in subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply in properly marked school zones one hour before, during, and one hour after the normal hours of school operation, in properly marked historic districts, and in properly marked residential zones. For purposes of this chapter, thoroughfares with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or more shall not be considered residential districts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
phantoms said:
Match10 said:
He did say they lit the blues....
and a few idiots who like to play with blue lights. Did the lights look professionally installed (in the grill, etc.), or just something sitting inside the car?
They were definitely professionally installed. I never saw the lights in the grill, however, he had lights on the front and back glass and his backup? lights had the strobe effects.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I saw this sort of thing happening on I-20 a few months ago, and I also wanted to make a call, but I was away from the internet that day, and I actually forgot what county it was. :oops: Between Atlanta and Augusta. Maybe Siloam area. I tried to take a picture with my camera, but it too came out way too blurry to make out the markings or license on the car. I didn't have my FLIP video camera readily available, either.

The car was going way too fast for me to even try and speed up to their speed. Passed me like I was standing still and I was going 76+MPH. He/she was easily going 100+ MPH, no lights on, no siren, passed me on the right, cut in front of me (as there was a car in the right lane in front of him/her) and was very quickly out of sight. It was also at night, completely dark. The vehicle had county markings on it, but it was an SUV, not a patrol car. If my memory serves me correct it was a Ford Expedition.

I'd like to do something about this as well when I see it. I think the next time I see something like this I will try to. It just sort of rubs me the wrong way.

I totally understand if LEO are going to a call, though, I totally understand that, but I would just rather them use lights, if possible the siren, and I totally understand having to pull up to a crime scene with none of them on, if the situation calls for it. That still doesn't mean they have to have them all off on the way to the scene while traveling at a very high rate of speed.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
freeman101 said:
O.C.G.A 40-14-18

Does not apply to GSP

40-14-8. (a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour and no conviction shall be had thereon unless such speed is more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit. (b) The limitations contained in subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply in properly marked school zones one hour before, during, and one hour after the normal hours of school operation, in properly marked historic districts, and in properly marked residential zones. For purposes of this chapter, thoroughfares with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or more shall not be considered residential districts.
Was asking questions today at work. My boss's son was pulled over in Cairo, Ga for doing 52 in a 45. Pulled over by city police. He was ordered to take a class. Sooooo was this bogub BS because the law was unknown??

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.