Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mississippi Carry Laws
There's a fairly good chance I may be moving to Mississippi (Starkville area) within the year. My GWL is only 2 years old. I plan to stay there for several years, so I'll probably switch over to a Mississippi firearms permit. I'm curious, would my GWL remain valid for the full 5 years, even if I change my permanent address to MS?

Looks like they have a 1 year residency requirement that *may* be waived if you've got an existing out-of-state permit. I'm not looking forward to their $100 fee.
MS 45-9-101
(2)(a)
[Applicant] Is a resident of the state and has been a resident for twelve (12) months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application. However, this residency requirement may be waived, provided the applicant possesses a valid permit from another state, is active military personnel stationed in Mississippi or is a retired law enforcement officer establishing residency in the state;
Does anyone here have any experiences carrying in MS that they'd like to convey? I'm curious if anyone happens to know if I'd qualify for a renewal-level fee $50 vs. the first timer-fee $100. Any GPO users with MS carry-related info?

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,724 Posts
The GA permit is good until the day it expires...if the state you moving to allows you to carry on it is a different question altogether

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there is a reciprocity agreement (there is), and there is no law that requires residents to carry only under a MS permit, then that should be legal, no?

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,724 Posts
BirdMan said:
If there is a reciprocity agreement (there is), and there is no law that requires residents to carry only under a MS permit, then that should be legal, no?
it should be...but if its like GA they wont honor as soon as you become a resident

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
rmodel65 said:
BirdMan said:
it should be...but if its like GA they wont honor as soon as you become a resident
Ding dong

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can I renew the GA license early so that I have a fresh 5 years on it before I move?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
Make sure to note the differences between that state's list of off-limits locations compared to Georgia's.
For example, I think all "parks" are victim disarmament zones in Mississippi.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
phantoms said:
Get the MS permit, but keep the GA one. It's good until it expires even if you move out of state.
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that as soon as you establish residency it renders the GWL void. And the GWL is only for residents. If the OP was keeping GA residency, you would be right.

I could be wrong.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
krmbigmac said:
phantoms said:
Get the MS permit, but keep the GA one. It's good until it expires even if you move out of state.
Are you sure about this? I was under the impression that as soon as you establish residency it renders the GWL void. And the GWL is only for residents. If the OP was keeping GA residency, you would be right.

I could be wrong.
You are. The GWL is valid until it expires even if you move out of state. Note that many states do not allow reciprocity carry on a non-resident permit though (SC being one of them).

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
phantoms said:
krmbigmac said:
phantoms said:

I could be wrong.
You are. The GWL is valid until it expires even if you move out of state. Note that many states do not allow reciprocity carry on a non-resident permit though (SC being one of them).
Do you mind showing me where it states that? Seriously, not an attempt to be a smarta$$. I am looking as well.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
krmbigmac said:
phantoms said:
krmbigmac said:
phantoms said:

I could be wrong.
Do you mind showing me where it states that? Seriously, not an attempt to be a smarta$$. I am looking as well.
Found it and you are correct.
http://www.georgiapacking.org/gflbg.php
A Weapons Carry License is good for 5 years no matter where you might move to.
Edit for adding link and quote.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
krmbigmac said:
You have to be a citizen of a GA County to be issued a permit in that County, but there is no code that revokes that permit once it's issued. You can move to another County without having to renew your permit, or you can move out of state. GA has no code to revoke the permit for doing so.

There is no specific code saying you can. There would only be specific code if it said you can't, of which there is none. The only GA code on the matter states that if you are a GA resident, you can not carry on a non-resident license of another state while in GA.

It's been discussed many times here if you wish to search it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts