Movie Theater Standoff

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by ICP_Juggalo, Jun 15, 2005.

1. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Movie theater standoff

Being a former projectionist of a movie theater company for 5 years, I can assure these types of things are quite common in the cineplex business. I always carried when I work at the movie theater and I will always carry when I go to a movie theater. Alot of money passes through the theater at any given day and it is an attractor for anyone wishing for a quick pay day.

Malum, this took place in your neck of the woods if I am not mistaken. Perhaps, if you still have contacts in the police dept, you could get us the full list of charges aganist these men? Iam more or less wanting to know if any weapon charges are filed, more specifically if either of them is charged with the "public gathering" violation.

I am pretty much convinced that a movie theater is not a public gathering and a prosecutor would probably have a tough time of getting a conviction on this basis. I have had many a conversations with fellow law enforcement officers on this particular situation (of carrying into a movie theater) and all of them concur that a movie theater would not fall under the public gathering law, because A) There is not secific event or function that is taking place, the theater is just selling a service. B) since admission is charged to enter the complex, then theater is limiting attendance to individuals who have permission to be in the building (i.e. people who have purchased tickets) therefore the general public is prohibited from gathering inside the theater to attend a showing.

Public gathering or not. I know what kind of place a movie theater is. I know what kind of people hang around theater, and I have been witness to all types of violence that can break out either in the cinema or out in the parking lot. Doesn't matter what time of day, or what day of the week. I have seen it all in between. When I come to the cinemas, it is a good bet that I will be armed.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I do not know what they are charged with (yet), but this particular theater has a "no guns" sign right in the ticket windows out front. I guess the robbers ignored it.

3. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

:lol:

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I edited the "places with signs" adding the Cinima and a link to the story.

8)

5. Malum Prohibitum

Thanks. :D

6. streetriots

streetriots Clueless

Great job digging up an old dead thread! :lol: Between reviving dead threads and replying to your own threads I now know how you got 20k! :wink:

7. Malum Prohibitum

:lol:

I have been busy moving threads from In The News to Georgia In The News, and I thought it interesting how few comments many of the old threads, like this one, generated.

A movie theater robbery and standoff with the police while a "No Guns" sign is posted out front? Ah, the irony! :D

8. mike316atl

mike316atl New Member

:flame: :shattered: