Move to TN or NC

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by no clever name, Sep 25, 2010.

1. no clever name

no clever name New Member

I've been approached by a company that wants me to consider moving to either TN (Nashville area) or NC (Winston Salem area).

Anyone know which of those states is more firearms or gun owner friendly?

If there's anyone here that has lived in both states, do you have a personal preference for one or the other?

Thanks

2. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I've not lived in either, but consider other factors as well. NC is densely populated in many areas. TN is a bit more spread out. Nashville is about the only big city in TN that has a lot of transplants (read: yankees). Air might be cleaner in TN. SHTF might be easier in TN, too. Cost of living in eastern TN is probably better than most of NC.

Just wanted to give you some food for thought. If you conceal (and conceal well), gun friendliness may not be an issue.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I grew up in TN.

TN is more gun friendly than NC. Metro Nashville is a nice place to live. It's big enough to attact good entertainment, food, etc, but still has a small town feel.

4. no clever name

no clever name New Member

thanks for the responses guys, I've visited both areas before and could go to either.

I'm really not concerned about carrying, I've already checked that out. I'm more interested how the states view gun owners in general and if there are ridiculous laws regulating gun ownership. I've turned down offers to move to IL and NE because of their views of gun owners.

5. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

No state income tax in Tennessee...

6. AirCrew

AirCrew New Member

Lived in Tn and NC. TN is better all the way around except sales tax. I enjoyed living in TN and the people of TN better than NC. I still remeber wondering why everyone was waving at me when we passed them by on the road until my wife (Tennessee Girl) told me they were just being polite and saying hi.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

But there is a 9.75% sales tax.

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I've only lived in Georgia but from what I've read/heard TN gun laws are much better than NC.

9. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

Doesn't matter when you buy most everything online. :lol:

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

If you're into wine at all the Yadkin Valley (Winston-Salem area) is an absolute must. If my company had a presence there I'd move in a heartbeat for the wine and the mountain air.

11. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Beer on Sunday in TN.

12. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I've heard TN is better for gun laws.

13. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

NC carry and firearms purchase laws are screwed up. Tn is much nicer.

14. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

You betcha!

15. rle737ng

rle737ng Member

NC allows gun confiscation during emergencies unless you are on your own property.

16. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

There is no right to bear arms in Tennessee. It is a privilege regulated by the government so you must obtain a permit before carrying a loaded handgun in public.

From a Tennessee State Attorney General Opinion given on August 30, 2010;
    “Recently, the United States Supreme court overturned a set of local ordiances enacted in and around Chicago, Illinois that banned possession of all handguns. McDonald v. Chicago, 130 S.Ct. 3020(2010). The Supreme Court held that the U.S. Const. Amend. II is fully applicable to the states through U.S. Const. Amend. XIV. Id. At 3026. However, this ruling does not strike down all state firearms regulation. In fact, there is nothing from McDonald to suggest that U.S. Const. Amend. II provides any broader protection than what is already provided in Tenn. Const. Art. I, Sec. 26. Furthermore, McDonald quotes approvingly from an amicus brief filed by Texas, “state and locale experimentation with reasonable firearms regulations will continue under the Second Amendment.†Id. At 3046."

In North Carolina you can carry w/o a permit or license.

17. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

N.C. "Going armed in terror of the public."
    Link

18. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Tennessee has no state level preemption.
    So you have to know the gun laws of each town, village, county, or whatever.
    That sounds like a big obstacle for any civilian carrying for protection on a regular basis, everywhere you go.

19. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The TN attorney general does not "trump" the SCOTUS or the U.S. Constitution.

20. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

We know that, but it gives an indication of what he thinks is acceptable. After all he was voted into office by the Supreme Court of Tennessee. The Tennessee Supreme Court leans left. Look at the last sentence of his opinion, "...McDonald quotes approvingly from an amicus brief filed by Texas, “state and locale experimentation with reasonable firearms regulations will continue under the Second Amendment.â€" The majority quotes approvingly of the amicus, but does not mention anything about "reasonable regulations" in their opinion.