Mouseguns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by robfromga, Nov 12, 2010.

1. robfromga

robfromga New Member

Ive been looking at mouseguns lately. More for my wife and ease of carry, but also for BUG or deep concealment for me. Im not crazy about the .380 round but you get what you get with these small guns.

Ive narrowed it down to 3

Ruger LCP
    Diamondback
    Micro Desert Eagle

opinions?

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I think your terminology is off.
    A "mousegun" is something in a really tiny caliber, like .22, .25, or .32.
    The .380 round is considerably bigger and badder.
    Although some of those .380 pistols are the size of many .22s and .25s.

3. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

I think you'll discover that a small .380 is harder to shoot than you would expect. They tend to have a strong recoil and are hard to hold if you have large hands.

That being said, they are great for concealment!

4. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I chose the LCP. It is a mouse gun, and it IS a bugger to shoot.

5. robfromga

robfromga New Member

Thank you for correcting my terminology. But that's not what I was asking. I was asking if anyone had any specific, real world experience with the above mentioned firearms. Or maybe I implied if there was a better firearm that I omitted from my list. :righton:

6. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

I have a Ruger LCP. It is very easy to conceal. It is also hard to shoot accurately. I consider it a "get off me gun" as in I messed up and let the bad guy get 2 or 3 feet away from me so I pull this out of my pocket and put one in their gut so I can get away.
    I have a friend who had a Diamomdback. The key word - had. He couldn't get rid of it fast enough. :wink:

7. jklotz

jklotz New Member

Have you looked at a Sig P238? It's a little pricey, but shoots better than the others by far from what I understand.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

+1 on the Sig P238.

Don't forget to look at the Kel Tec PF9 and the Kahr PM9, as well as a good .38 snubbie.

For your wife, I would definitely rent or borrow any of the above and let her shoot it before buying. As stated earlier, some of the micro compacts are hard to shoot and can be very dis-pleasurable. It will NEED to be something that she will practice with enough to stay proficient with and if it hurts her to shoot it, she won't.

9. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I chose the LCP, is what I said. After Ruger got my early gun sorted out, it resides in my pocket daily. It's not fun to shoot. I can hit a 4 - 6" group at ten feet. It is not a target gun where you would go to the range and run hundreds of rounds.

It is what it is... It goes bang with a fairly big noise. 9mm X 17 is not a major caliber, but it is useful and that barrel does look big when you stare down it. It hides. It shoots. It's not a gun I want to go shooting with my buds with on a Sunday afternoon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. robfromga

robfromga New Member

what was wrong with the Diamondback?

Thanks Adam5 and match :righton:

We've crossed revolvers off the list, because the look lame :sly: Im bouncing back between the Diamondback and the LCP. Reliability has to be there. Thats why I wanted her to have a 357 snubbie, but no dice. She's adored with our HK45 but has no chance to conceal it.

11. mrblah

mrblah New Member

the p238 shoots wonderfully, not a fan of the others, I own a seecamp

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have read about many issues with Diamondbacks jamming and guns having to go back for repairs. I have heard the same thing about Taurus pistols, but the ones that I have owned ran fine, so research on your own before making a decision.

I used to pocket carry a Sig P238 and had full faith in its ability to protect me. It was nice to have a pocket gun with a decent SA trigger and real sights. It was also actually fun to shoot and practice with.

13. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

I carried my ruger LCP for the first time in public yesterday (just got my GWL yesterday). It's a cute little thing, and it packs a little punch =D

14. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Quiet mouse....... :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

15. Match10

Match10 Active Member

My S&W 642 would be my first choice. They are not "lame"... There's something to be said looking at the business end of one with hollowpoints in every hole!

[​IMG]

16. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Not me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

I agree with Match on a revolver. I carry an SP101 and it disappears in an IWB holster. If I were going pocket carry, the 642 would at least be considered, and not dismissed because of the "lame" look. Of course ladies wear uncomfortable shoes because the comfortable ones look "lame." Just tell her who is going to see it anyway, the person who does get to see it isn't going to tell anyone. :shattered:

18. robfromga

robfromga New Member

I agree with the revolvers, but she wont carry one. So its a dead argument, believe me I tried.

19. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

have to agree except change the 642 to 649 for me :twisted:
    [​IMG]