Mountain Festivals

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by ABC3, Oct 8, 2010.

1. ABC3

ABC3 Member

Taking the family to the mountains today to enjoy a couple of the local festivals before the crowd hits.

Are those considered "public gatherings" ? Thus no CC.

2. AV8R

AV8R Banned

No such thing as public gatherings in Georgia! There are only prohibited places, and that's something you'll have to look into for each festival.

Where are you going?

3. ABC3

ABC3 Member

Hiawassee and thanks

4. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

whats a public gathering?

5. ABC3

ABC3 Member

A"fair", for instance with paid admission is still considered a "public gathering" - is it not ? According to our local LEO it is.

I know they can't keep up with all the changes. Anymore, I don't know what's right or wrong. I guess that's why CC is CC.

6. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

It doesn't matter. Public gatherings are not part of the weapons code of Georgia any more. You can carry at public gatherings all you want, provided they are not on the list of prohibited places (Government buildings, bars, churches, etc., click Gun Laws up top and read the list of places).

ETA: As a GCO member you really haven't been paying attention to all the hard work we did this year in the legislature have you? :) We got that stuff changed back in June.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Sure! The public is gathered there, right? We just do not know what that has to do with your decision about whether to carry.

8. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

last time i went to the cumming fair they took my kershaw from me, returned it when i left. haven't been this year, but should i be forced to go, if they are still conducting weapon checks it could get interesting. :p

btw: i was not searched for the knife, it was clipped and visible on my front pocket.

9. AV8R

AV8R Banned

God forbid you sneak up on someone with that pig sticker and commence ta cleanin' their fingernails. :D

10. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i think next time i will be carrying a real pig sticker.

[​IMG]

in a crowded arena like that i think my handgun would be backup to a good blade.

11. mikey1297

mikey1297 New Member

What's going on in hiawasse this weekend? Im riddin up there tomorro on they bike. I think they have something every weekend.

12. Owl

Owl New Member

This thread has brought back fond memories of a late-night session in the chat room with 50-60 people as we watched GeorgiaCarry.org give us back our Rights in real-time. I don't think I'll ever forget that night. Thank you again, GCO and GCO members.

13. Khondker

Khondker Member

IF you have a GEORGIA FIREARM LICENSE, you can carry your handgun OPENLY or CONCEAL, LODED or UNLODED.

IF you have a GEORGIA FIREARM LICENSE/GEORGIA WEAPON LICENSE you can carry your handgun any where in the State of Georgia except the places listed below.

List of places off limit

1. Government buildings (Government building' means: The building in which a government entity is housed).
    2. Courthouses
    3. Jails
    4. Place of worship
    5. Mental health facilities
    6. Nuclear facilities
    7. Within 150ft of polling place
    8. K-12 schools or school functions
    9. Universities or school functions
    10. Places prohibited by Federal Law (Example - Post Office, Federal Building).

If you have GFL/GWL

1. University/college vehicle carry OK while picking up, dropping off. You can leave your firearm in the parking lot of the University/college.
    2. K-12 schools vehicle carry OK while picking up, dropping off. You can leave your firearm in the parking lot of K-12 schools.
    3. Airport vehicle carry OK while picking up, dropping off. You can leave your firearm in the parking lot of the Airport.
    4. Parking lots of off-limits places carry OK.
    5. Interstate rest area carry OK (if there is no government entity is housed).
    6. Carry in the bars if the bar owner permits you.
    7. County Park and City park carry OK.
    8. State Park carry OK.
    9. WMA carry OK.
    10. National Park carry OK.

CAN NOT carry handgun any park or property own by Army Corp of Engineer.

14. MyFred

MyFred Banned

I was at the Mule Camp festival in Gainesville yesterday. The wife and I decided that only I would carry since we are wary of Hall county. I carried my Sig P228 in an OWB Blackhawk serpa with my t-shirt pulled over it. We had walked around all of the vendor’s tables and exhibits in the hot sun and decided to go to the food court to get something to eat from a friend’s concession. We had just sat down at a table under a canopy when my wife remarked, “that silly old man ought to know better than walking around here with that sign cause this is the heart of real deal countryâ€. I turned around to see an elderly gentleman, about my age, coming from our rear carrying a “Vote Roy Barnes†sign up high. I told her, “don’t worry, I guarantee you he won’t get far before he will be confronted.†Just as soon as I said that, I saw two of Hall County’s finest approaching quickly from behind him. I have read on this forum from respected sources that about two out of every applicant for LEO make the grade. After seeing these two, I hope I never run into the other 98. I don’t think that Hall county has any physical or appearance standards. I should point out, after having said that, I don’t know for sure if they were Hall county or Gainesville police. They took him off to the side next to the Hall county fire department table and commenced to harass him. The fat male police was talking to him and pointed to the stick that he was carrying. I couldn’t hear all that was said, but I could tell that they were harassing him for the dangerous stick weapon that he was carrying. This stick appeared to be about 1x1/4x2 or 3 feet long. They took his DL and talked on the radio and held him for about 20 minutes before they let him go without his sign. I could tell that he was trying to stand up for his rights but also didn’t want to cause himself too much grief. At the same time, I am thinking, “what if they should see me printing my gunâ€? Is that worse than a stick? We had already seen some vendors selling swords for crying out loud, and they’re harassing this poor guy for exercising his rights just because a “dangerous stick†was involved.

I must admit, though, that even though I was also exercising my rights, I was too afraid to go and stand beside this guy and help defend his. I would still be in jail if I had. I was too concerned about myself and hoped that they did not see my gun. I am ashamed because what will happen when I am finally confronted? It just bothers me what I did not do when I should have.

I must also add that we are not voting for either King Roy or real deal. We are voting for Monds. The guy still had the right to carry the sign.

15. higabyte

higabyte New Member

classic... lol

16. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

You almost have to carry a sign on a thin yard stick (measuring stick) type pole to be legal. If he would have taken it off the stick he would have been legal (I think).

It probably wouldn't have gone over real well to mount it on a (just purchased) sword and carry it around either, but that's a good question to ask them. They usually sell walking sticks and pieces of steel from the blacksmith too. The law comes into play when you mount a sign on it. :screwy:

17. MyFred

MyFred Banned

:oldtimer: yeah, the wife uses that all the time since she is a little younger than me......:)

18. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

my wife wants to go to the cumming fair on sunday (something told me i wouldn't be able to get out of it) and just showed me what was on the flyer:
    [​IMG]

does anyone know of any reason why the fairgrounds in cumming would still be a forbidden place?

19. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

It may be a private event where they rented the fairgrounds out and would ask you to leave, but it's not illegal. The park where I spent July 4th had no weapons signs for the celebration but I carried there anyways. Concealed is concealed.

20. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Zoo check out the website.
    http://www.cummingfair.net/html/cumming_fair.html
    Just say, "I went to your website...."