Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
along with the views and arguments of others here, has me thinking a bit. And some arguments on ways to correct it. Go read the entire article before you comment please.

Nemo

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/10/nra-now-ever/

Buckeye, AZ â€"-(Ammoland.com)- Whether you like it or not, the National Rifle Association is absolutely our most important defender of our constitutional right to arms, and you need to be a member.
Many of us are angry with the NRA for the foolish statement put out by Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox in response to the atrocity in Las Vegas, and others are angry with me for publicly criticizing that foolish statement, and calling on the NRA Board of Directors to repudiate it.
By 1975, NRA leaders were so determined to avoid being called “the gun lobby,†that they made plans to sell their Washington headquarters and move the offices to Colorado Springs. That plan was quashed by members at the Annual Meeting in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1977, where an empowered membership exercised its authority under the law to direct their Association. The assembled members provided new ways to govern the organization and put a new leadership team in place. Soon after that night, newly-elected Executive Vice President Harlon Carter told Neal Knox, one of the leaders of the revolt, that the losing side was already working to undo what was accomplished. In the 40 years since, most of the reforms of Cincinnati have disappeared, and the legal openings that allowed the membership revolt have been nailed shut.

The current NRA leadership now embraces the “gun lobby†label, but it does so because they are serving a market. Today’s NRA does not exist primarily to defend the Second Amendment. It is primarily a fundraising operation that has found it can monetize defense of the Second Amendment. Paid NRA staff members take home million-dollar paychecks, and key vendors, notably its advertising and public relations firms, walk away with even more.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Just no. GOA and SAF for me.

·
Registered
847 Posts
"No comment". :mrgreen:

What that article states is pretty much what I have thought all along. And not because of any articles I have read. Just from simple observation of the NRA mode of operation.

What disgusts me most about them, and especially Frenchie boy (I despise that man), is that if he (and their other suits) were doing it for "the cause", they would do it for a very handsome compensation of a couple hundred thou a year. Not millions. Their talents should most certainly be compensated. Up to a point, a reasonable point.

But the gun control battle is a very profitable business. The NRA tangles the web such that they make the most money. Their prime agenda is not to educate people on guns and make it easier for everyone to own and carry guns. Their prime agenda is to make astronomical sums of money. Greed. Plain and simple. It's the American way.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton types keep racism alive and well because is makes them huge sums of money. Many of us are disgusted about that. The NRA does a similar thing, with somewhat similar tactics. And we look the other way, only because they happen to be fighting on our side. I try to not be a hypocrite. But I don't always succeed at that.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Different organizations fight the fight in different ways. I support multiple groups in multiple ways.

Gaggling geese sound like, gaggling geese.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Different organizations fight the fight in different ways. I support multiple groups in multiple ways.

Gaggling geese sound like, gaggling geese.
And some surrender your rights and then attempt to reverse course as a fundraising ploy.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
And some surrender your rights and then attempt to reverse course as a fundraising ploy.
Reminds me of an abusive spouse, except this one's about money. That makes gun owners an abused spouse.

I just stopped taking the punches. Refuse to be a victim.

How long did Georgia residents have to suffer when they couldn't carry into South Carolina because of NRA mandatory training requirements?

That right there was enough proof for me.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Maybe the 12 remaining members of this forum can get together and take a firm stand on national issues.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
The problem with the NRA is LaPierre and Cox. The problem with LaPierre and Cox is the Board of Directors who appoint them. The problem with the Board of Directors is the less-than 10% of the membership willing to get off their asses and vote for directors. If there was more membership participation, maybe they'd have more directors who really understand what "shall not be infringed" means instead of what mostly passes as a good ol' boys club.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
As much as I disagree with a lot of what the NRA does and says, I'll continue to support it with my annual dues, as well as several other gun rights groups, because it's still the only 900 lb gorilla in the room.

Reactions: Taurus92
1 - 10 of 10 Posts