Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the Mossberg 930 SPX? I am interested in the 930 SPX with the 18.5 inch barrel with a 7 + 1 capacity. Here is a link to the shotgun, http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... n=products. Near the top of the page, scroll though the 930’s shown and pay attention to item #85360 & 85370 as (in my opinion) these would be the versions I am most interested in. The only differance between the two are the stocks. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
635 Posts
jdh31313,

I have this shotgun what would you like to know....It's a great shooter and so far.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Mossberg 930 SPX
After a short breaK-in, mine has been super reliable as well. The only problem I had was Fiocchi 00-buck early on (which is odd when it was chewing through light birdshot at the same time :screwy: )

If you haven't discovered yet - - -
- make sure you do NOT pull the trigger during the disassembly process. The firing pin idicator (tiny silver stud that protrudes into the trigger area) will easily fall out along with the hammer spring if the hammer is forward. .. Don't ask me how I found out 8)

- some shotshells are longer than others, like Federal LE132-00 is >.< longer than some other shells. Add that up >......< and it's just enough to keep the 7th shell from loading. Replacing the SPX spring with a M500 spring cures that. I'm guessing the M500 spring is just a hair thinner.

- you can 'ghost load' a 930 so that total capacity is 7+1+1. Not something for everyday use perhaps, but it can be handy once in awhile. Web search 930 ghost load for instructions.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I've got one. The first barrel had a canted sight which mossberg replaced very quickly. It did have some issues cycling light bird loads at first, but broke in nicely and functions well. Light loads are togh on many auto loaders.

That's said id use it no questions in a hd/ sd situation.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
I've got one and love it. It was the natural upgrade from the 500. A mag dump will make you grin.

The stock styles are a tossup. The PG version makes things like reloading easier but the non-PG one seems more comfortable for general field use.

It has a distaste for light target loads, but no issue with the reduced recoil double-buck.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yrualeg said:
jdh31313,

I have this shotgun what would you like to know....It's a great shooter and so far.
How well would / does’ it function in a very dirty environment?

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Haven't done any torture tests on mine, but I'll hazard a guess that it would preform similar to an M4 - IOW, lube the stink out of it as wet carbon&dust is a Lot better than dry carbon&dust. And there aren't half as many close tolerances on a Mossberg as an AR :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts