Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, May 13, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Im thinking about getting a Mosin Nagant. I can get one from AIM Surplus http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_Model_91_30_7_62x54R_Mosin_Nagant.html for $69.95 + shipping + FFL fee. Does anyone think that I could do better at the Forrest Park gun show next weekend? Has anyone seen a nice on at a local dealer? I was thinking about a .45 or .50 blackpowder rifle, but now think I would use one of these more. What do ya'll think if them?

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

They are fun rifles. I have a Polish M44, a Finn rebuild, and an M38.

The prices that I saw at the show were a bit high last week, and the prices that I saw in shops the other day were extremely high, but I didn't haggle with any of the dealers. I just looked at the tags.

3. Dan H

Dan H New Member

For the money, it seems like a great deal. The one they had at last sundays shoot was pretty impressive and seemed like a lot of fun!

How much does the ammo run on these? The guys from sunday looked to have surplus ammo but I forgot to ask how much they could get it for...

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

It is cheaper to order them directly, so I don't think you can do better than that. The dealers order them from the same places and add their markup.

5. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Surplus ammo is cheap, but looks to be corrosive?

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/

The Bulgarian or Hungarian ammo for the 7.62x54R was what those guys were shooting sunday. I remember the paper packaging the rounds were in.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

It is corrosive, but that isn't a problem as long as you clean correctly and immediately. I usually take a bottle of Windex to the range with me when I shoot mine and run a few patches soaked in it through the barrel when I pack up for the day.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I was wondering about the gun show, since a $70 rifle will be $115 - 125 with freight and FFL fee.

8. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I wouldn't worry if you use corrosive ammo or not. Just clean it afterwards. It's a lot cheaper and unless you have an unissued Mosin, who cares?

Aim even says:

Do you have a C&R? If so, you can order directly from AIM, no FFL fee. If not, it's 30$ and since you probably won't find any decent 91/30's for under 90 bucks, you'll break even. Then you can order all kinds of guns to your own home! I have an M38 and an M44, both ordered from AIM and I haven't seen one sold locally under 100$ that even comes close to how good they look.

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I don't have a C&R, so I'll be paying an FFL to receive it. Sine you have dealt with AIM, is it worth the extra $10 for them to hand pick one?

10. Dan H

Dan H New Member

How much longer is the 91/30 compared to the M44?

11. Foul

Foul New Member

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy ... 2x54R.html

Still pretty cheap compared to most other surplus ammo out there.

Very rugged, simple rifles...very fun to shoot if you don't mind a fireball and a good kick.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/

Check out the links on the left for the different flavor Mosins. Be sure to check out on the right hand side for various links on disassembly, tweaking and such. A LOT of good info, including the history of, various surplus weapons.

ps. from what I've gathered, the light ball fires better than the heavy ball from the Mosins...they were designed for the light ball.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

From what I see online, the 91/30 has a 30" barrel and the M44 has a 20"

13. Foul

Foul New Member

91/30- Weight 9.5 LB
    Length 48.5 IN
    Length of Barrel 28.75 IN
    Operation Type Bolt Action
    Magazine Capacity 5
    Magazine Type Inline Box
    Caliber 7.62x54mm Russian

Various carbines- Weight 8.9 LB
    Length 40 IN
    Length of Barrel 20 IN
    Operation Type Bolt Action
    Magazine Capacity 5
    Magazine Type Inline Box
    Caliber 7.62x54mm Russian

14. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

For one of their Mosins, I wouldn't pay for the handpick. These are pretty much beater rifles... if you want something collectable, you're going to have to hit up gunbroker or troll gun forums. If you're not going to spend 30 bucks more for the laminated version, I wouldn't pay for the handpick. My .02.

Here is my M38. Shorter version of the 91/30. My M44 is the same but it has a bayonet. These are pretty fun but they really beat the crap out of your shoulder :shock:

[​IMG]

15. Foul

Foul New Member

A-freaking-men.

16. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The M44's sights are regulated to be shot with the bayonet extended.

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

So does my 7.65 x 54 Argentine Mauser.

18. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

hmmm the large flame shooting out of the end of that thing scared me... guess it would double as a blow torch

19. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

You gotta be careful with the Mosin-Nagants...they have a tendency to multiply when they get into your gun cabinet/safe. I started with one and now have 5 Russian M44's, 3 Chinese Type 53's, and 1 Polish M44. I love the things and I always have my eye out for more!

20. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

You speak the truth!!