Mosin Nagant M44 Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by fflintlock, Nov 6, 2010.

1. fflintlock

fflintlock Active Member

Anyone ever use one of these for deer hunting, and if so, how are they ?
    Thanks

2. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

took mine hunting, saw 4 mini- deer but didn't shoot anything with it...yet
    I am looking forward to using it on deer
    After all, deer aren't hard to kill. If a good hit from a 7.62x54R softpoint won't do it, nothing will

3. fflintlock

fflintlock Active Member

I was just curious on the accuracy of it, iron sights, say inside 75 yards, probably inside 50 really. And what kind of ammo folks were using in them. I have a line on one and was thinking very serious about getting it and using it for deer, hog hunting and just plain ole shooting.

4. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Get it. They are great all purpose guns, short and handy, plenty accurate, definitely get the job done on most anything you'll find in Georgia. Unless it's beat to he'll and rusted out, $150 is a steal and $200 is good for a good one.

5. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

150 a steal? for a mosin m44?..... I disagree. 100 is a good deal, 120 is average. You can find em' online for cheaper, but the shipping brings the price back up to between 100-120 and you don't get to actually handle the product before you buy it.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I've shot the Mosin Nagant M44. At targets and 50 and 100 yards, but not at deer.

I've hunted deer and killed deer with other calibers.

I think the rifle is fine for deer hunting out to whatever distance YOU, the shooter, are skillful enough to put all your hits in the "kill zone" of a deer-sized target. So this will vary depending on how well your eyes can see the iron sights, how good you are at a smooth trigger squeeze, etc.

If you get some commercial soft-point ammo in the 140-200 grain weight range, it should kill your deer just as well as a .30-06 or .308 out to any reasonable distance you can hit a deer-- hundreds of yards.

7. latter_day_hippie

latter_day_hippie Well-Known Member

The M-44, M-38 and 91/59 are the same action and barrel with minor differences in the hardware (for example, the M-44 has an integrated bayonet where the M-38 does not) and furniture. Consider any of these are equivalent for your stated purpose.

As you are looking for one of these for hunting rather than as a historical relic, save yourself some money and look for ones without matching serial numbers (or force-matched, electopenciled serial numbers). Also look for round receivers rather than hex receivers and Izhevsk rather than Tula manufacture as these are of less interest to collectors and therefore less expensive. Pre-war is more valuable than wartime which is more valuable than post-war. Laminated stocks also are more expensive than hardwood.

If you have the opportunity to buy one of the three above carbines cheap with a damaged stock, grab it. Replacement stocks (both original and modern sporter stocks) are widely available and fairly inexpensive.

If you want to scope the rifle, look for a mount that replaces the rear sight. This is a much cheaper option than tapping the receiver and installing a mount, and will let you use a wider variety of traditional and LER scopes.

8. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Please point me to the $100 M44s online. Or even the $120. Or any at all, for that matter.

There are 91/30's all day long, but I haven't seen an M44 from any of the online dealers in a long time. Unless some came available in the last week or so.

9. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

Holy crap, you're right. What the heck happened? I bought mine for 90 bucks!

10. fflintlock

fflintlock Active Member

This is the one I am thinking on getting for 180.00
    http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/3938/dscf3578.jpg
    I have seen them a little cheaper online, but with shipping, taxes and FFL transfer, it brings them close to the asking price of this one. I've seen them listed locally for around 140.00 or so, but they don't last very long. The above rifle looks to be in pretty good shape and is listed in very good condition. I'll find out Monday evening.
    The rifle is actually a thought for a Christmas present for my youngest son. He's shot a few before and fell in love with them for some reason. He's actually talked of hunting with one, but wants to leave it as is, with perhaps the addition of a scope. He's stationed at Ft. Sam Houston and will be home around the 2oth of December. I was going to give it to him then, so he could take it to the woods this winter. That's the reason of asking questions about the rifle. I'd like to have ammo and whatever else here for him at that time. He's not a big guy and might even want the replacement rubber butt pad they list for it too. I've seen the soft points on line and will buy a few boxes of those as well as a couple hundred rds. of military ammo for it. I've seen the sight replacement rail for a scope mount and may get that and a scope, haven't decided yet. I like that idea, instead of changing out the bolt and drilling and attaching a mount at the receiver. As I said before, I think he'll want to keep it pretty much original, that is part of the charm of these old rifles. Any way, if the bore is in good shape and the rifle looks as good as the pics of it, I believe I'll be getting it for him.

11. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I use 203 grn soft points, and if I do my part they shoot about 4 inches at 100 yards with iron sights.
    no reason at all a deer won't drop.

12. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

I've used 180 Gr. soft points with similar results.

13. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Tell me about it lol. I got mine from AIM a while back but sold it off. Recently got the hankering for another mosin and they were nowhere to be found. I was quite disappointed to say the least. I got a very nice 91/30, but it's just not the same :-(

14. cwats04

cwats04 Member

i got mine for $120 after shipping 3 years ago.

I was talking with a dealer a while back and he said that now $150-$200 is a good price because Very Few M44's are being shipped in any more because they are not finding them anymore.

15. jabara572

jabara572 New Member

Got mine for $80 3 years ago :mrgreen: man how things have changed....

16. fflintlock

fflintlock Active Member

Well I bought it.
    The only thing that is not original, is the butt plate, and that may be replaced with a rubber one, we'll see.
    Blueing is in real good shape, bore is bright and overall seems to be in real good condition.
    Now to buy some ammo and see how it shoots :righton:

17. cwats04

cwats04 Member

oh yeah i looked at a few that were around the area i was in at the time that were around that price and decided i would take a shot with a new internet dealer that i found (and has since stopped selling them). Man was i glad i did, laminated stock and all numbers but the butt matched (not forced) and the butt was only off in sequence by 5

18. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I have one but haven't hunted with it.

Also, why doesn't "everyone" have a C&R FFL?

19. fflintlock

fflintlock Active Member

Well, finally shot this rifle a few times and love it, ain't real fond of the recoil though, it's not too bad but enough to be noticeable after a few boxes of rounds. It is loud and my brother said it rattled his house every time I touched it off, LOL. It shot to the left and maybe 1" high at 50 yds. That was with the bayonet folded back. I'm not a big fan of the bayonet and will probably remove it, wished I could remove the lug as well, without sawing it off, so I guess that'll stay on there for now. Wasn't too far from the same results with the bayonet extended either. This was all off hand shooting and I really need to get it bench shot to really check it out. I did install a replacement black rubber recoil pad, but that is all I've done to it. Haven't shot it since I installed that though. Ordered some ammo from on line and am waiting for that to come in before I shoot it any more. I bought some FMJ's and some soft points and am really waiting to see how the soft points shoot in it. I like it and look forward to shooting it a lot more in the future.
    I hope I can get it sighted in good enough to at least try and take a deer with it this year. I think I may have been bit'n by the Mosin bug, wonder what took so long.
    I bought it for my son, but he'd rather have the sks I just bought, so I traded him ;) I like the Mosin better any way :righton: He want's to "bubba" the sks and we have all the stuff here to do that and make it 922r compliant. I got a pretty decent deal from a member here for all of that. :righton:
    I'll post more when I get my ammo in and do a good range time with it to really see what it can do. But for what it is, I love it !

20. dunkel

dunkel New Member

They were designed to be fired with bayonet extended. It serves as a barrel harmonizer or something like that. Plus it allows you to finish off a wounded deer with a bayonet charge.