Morning "commute" got interesting

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by spector, Sep 27, 2010.

1. spector

spector New Member

I work from home, so I *never* commute. Today, though, I was leaving my girlfriend's house to drive back down to Florida. I was on North Druid hills road, preparing to merge onto 85 south around 8:30am. Traffic is completely bumper to bumper (reason #45,349 I'm glad I don't live in GA anymore) and I'm trying to get over in the right hand lane to get onto the interstate. To my knowledge, I did *nothing* mean or illegal in traffic that morning -- if anything, I drive too "nice" for Atlanta traffic. I signaled/waved when trying to get over a lane, I did not cut anyone off, I did not stop suddenly, etc. Traffic was moving at all of 2mph, so I'm not sure what serious transgression I could have possibly performed at that speed, but...

As I'm looking to my right to merge over (my car is stopped, waiting on traffic and lights), I hear a loud knock on my driver's window. I'm thinking it's a panhandler at first, and I look over and this older guy (maybe 40's or 50's, black, average build, mustache, glasses, slightly gray hair) is POUNDING on my window, yelling, and looking very angry. I did not see any weapons, so I now figured that he was neither a panhandler or a carjacker. The basic gist of his shouts were "get out of the car" and "roll the window down" -- two things I had no intentions of doing. Again, he was pissed, and knocking very loudly.

I'm wondering where the hell this guy came from, and I look in my rearview and there is a gold impala behind me with the driver's door open and a handicapped tag attached to the mirror. Apparently, this crazy dude parked his car in the middle of north druid hills eastbound and came over to yell at me about something or other. I had grabbed my gun in about the first .5 seconds of this encounter (edit: my gun stayed in its pocket holster, and never left) and had it in my lap. As he did not seem to present a serious threat other than just being completely insane, I saw no need to draw or make the weapon visible or in any way resort to my weapon -- I only made it available because I didn't know where this was headed or if he was armed. My tint is very dark, and I'd be surprised if he could make out anything more than my silhouette during this whole ordeal, but I made sure to keep the weapon out of sight regardless.

I basically spent 20 seconds telling him to "get the :censored: away from my car" before traffic started moving and I could drive away quickly. As I drove off, I saw him run back to his car and continue on north druid hills, running a red light and just about T-boning two cars making turns ahead of him. Good riddance, clown.

A few things come to mind:

-My 100lb, fiercely loyal Rhodesian Ridgeback was in the backseat. I considered just rolling down my back window and letting the dog's bark scare the bejesus out of him
    -I was legitimately concerned that he was going to break the glass at some point -- he was REALLY going to town on my window. I had no intentions of having glass in my face or a fist coming through that glass, so I was prepared to kick my door open in his general direction to knock him over if he'd starting actually attacking me
    -The guy had on a t-shirt supporting some church and something about Jesus. Guess he didn't pay too much attention to that stuff.
    -The guy's "handicap" (as per his mirror decal/sticker) did not prevent him from getting out of his car in about 1 second, running 20 feet to my car, and pounding incessantly at my car window while yelling at the top of his lungs for half a minute. I thought that was odd.

How was your morning?

2. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Ah yes, one of Atlanta's finest. I've encountered several of them myself. Too bad stupid rarely ends up killing just the stupid. :(

3. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

I had a nice drive this morning, pucker factor ranging from 0 to 2... it was raining out you know.

4. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

they were talking on the radio this morning about a guy getting out and kicking someones car out of road rage, thought you were going to say it was you lol. Kind of offtopic but someone called in and told them they could shoot someone to defend their car.

5. ClayD

ClayD New Member

:rotfl2:

But in all seriousness that would have both scarred me and made me angry at the same time. OP, power to you for staying put, keeping ready and leaving the situation.

6. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Similar to a couple of my events the past few years. I call them 'Atlanta people'.
    It caused me to upgrade my car gun to a .357

The good news is they tend to find each other more often than not.

7. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

I've noticed people getting much worse lately. I'm a pretty non-confrontational guy. I don't like drama. And I'm also a pretty patient person, especially with stupid people, cuz they just don't know any better. :roll: Anyways, I was pulling in to Walgreen's the other day to pick up my Mom's prescriptions for her and pulled into a parking space. I didn't see the lady leaning into the passenger side of the SUV, otherwise, I wouldn't have pulled into the space. But, I made sure there was plenty of room. I was waiting, patiently, for her to finish doing whatever it was she was doing, but it got a little ridiculous. I even opened my door a little to get her attention. Apparently, that didn't work. I was about to say something and she stood up and closed the door. I though, "Great, now I can at least get out of my car." She just sort of stood there for a few seconds and finally walked in the store. I make my way back to the pharmacy and there she is........ again. I almost said something just loud enough for her to overhear when I noticed the size of her firefighter husband. Made me glad I didn't ask her to mover her :censored: butt out of my way.

8. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

When I was younger, I was good about letting my alligator mouth overload my hummingbird behind. I'm older and wiser now. I avoid words all together. Better yet, I avoid eye contact all together. If they get through my window, all bets are off.

9. spector

spector New Member

It's not entirely impossible that they weren't describing my situation -- you know how those things get blown out of proportion. The guy was angrily hitting my car -and some might've seen that as "kicking". I'd call it more of a flailing. Did they say where it happened?

Worst case in this scenario, as far as I could tell, was a broken window and a dented car. Annoying, but not life-threatening. I think anything beyond knocking that guy out would have been overkill. He was crazy, but I'm not sure he was extremely dangerous. Now had my gf (or any woman) been in the same situation... he may have presented a threat. I'm certainly glad I had the means to defend myself should the guy have been armed and escalated the situation.

As it turned out, I got to drive off and leave that crap in my rear view. Definitely woke me up, though.

10. spector

spector New Member

Ha, I've always been a very level-headed person. But that guy was lucky, I think, and he doesn't realize it. I'm sure someone would interpret those actions as a serious threat and react accordingly, and I don't think I'd blame them.

Also, the stupidity of going up to ANY car -- but especially a heavily tinted one -- and banging on the window... well, maybe that explains his "handicap" tag.

11. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

Reminds me of this.

[​IMG]

12. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

that is one way to stop tail gating

13. AirCrew

AirCrew New Member

Dialed 911 on an idiot in a van brandishing a club and swerving at me about a month ago (still have no idea why he was mad at me). I-75 south in Henry County. Was not overly concerned but he did get my attention. Whenever I am in traffic I pay particular attention to my side and rear view mirrors, just for that reason. I dont want some chuclehead sneaking up on me.

14. Suprman

Suprman New Member

you guys are better then I, i don't have much patience for stupid, would of chewed the guy out for sure for coming up to my car like that.

15. IrishTiger

IrishTiger Active Member

Whenever my car is stopped in traffic, my right hand is always resting on my firearm in case I need to pull it out in a case like this. I would have perceived this as a threat, and I would have let him know that. A gold impala huh? :roll: Imagine that.

16. Suprman

Suprman New Member

I just noticed something, we the two that live in downtown area, seem to have less paintaince for this kind of stuff then the other guys that live more away from the city.

hell the other day i was sitting at a gas station waiting to meet with the boss and a woman comes up to my rolled down pass side asking to borrow my car and that I know she will bring it back. had my hand on my gun that was in the pass seat the whole time while telling her to leave now and walk away.

call me jumpy or what have you, but I do not tolerate that kind of behavior at all and will not just sit there if someone is posing a threat, not saying that i will just start shooting, but i let them know vocally that behavior is not ok.

17. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

That's a big ol' "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" right there! :sly:

18. Priest

Priest New Member

After an attempted carjacking some years back, I keep the doors locked and pay attention to the mirrors and out the sides when going slow or when stopped. As a bit of a warning though. The guy that tried to carjack me, then tried to get me prosecuted for hit and run saying that I ran over his feet while he was trying to cross the street. Any questionable interaction with any person now gets a full conversation with the law to make sure that my report gets in first.

19. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

think the funniest experience i had was when i was driving down 92 in douglasville when this guy gets on my rear and is swerving back and forth and yelling out the window at me. So i slow down until he eventually goes around me. Then the idiot turns into his driveway less than a mile down the road with his family. I just stopped and looked out the window at him as he got out just shocked someone could be that stupid. Even dogs know you dont s**t where you sleep.

20. Arkimedes

Arkimedes New Member

*pound* *pound* *pound*

"HEY!!!! ROLL DOWN THAT WIND...."

*BANG*

End of encounter :righton: