more "zero tolerance" stupidity...

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Macktee, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

And to think, these people are teaching our children and grandchildren...!

from Channel 4 in Charleston:

http://www.abcnews4.com/news/stories/1007/465601.html

Butter Knife Violation

Saturday October 20, 2007 9:49pm

A Berkeley County student is kicked out of school for bringing a butter knife to campus.

"I know I made a really stupid decision but I don't think I should be expelled for it."

Amber Dauge says that stupid decision was taking a butter knife to school. Amber ran out of the house to meet the bus while making a sandwich. When she realized she had the knife, she put it in her bookbag..then put it in her locker at Goose creek High school. She forgot it was there...until a few weeks later ..when the knife fell out of her overstuffed locker.

"A kid behind me yelled out a comment that I was going to stab someone with the knife and everyone started laughing and the teacher saw it", Amber told us.

The teacher told the principal and Amber was suspended and recommended for expulsion.

She attended an expulsion hearing last Thursday..and it was made official.

"We got the paperwork for the expulsion Friday in the mail. So they had sent the paperwork out before they had even done the hearing saying she was expelled", says Amber's mother Kristi Heinz.

The Berkeley County school district has a zero tolerance policy. But is it too harsh?

"I don't think zero tolerance is the right thing. I really don't. Every situation has it's own circumstances," says Steven Heinz, Amber's father.

Amber realizes she could have made a better choice like leaving the on the porch at home or actually giving it to a teacher.

"I knew i was gonna get in trouble but I didn't think I was was gonna get expelled."

Amber can appeal. Her parents will write a letter to the superintendent and will attned the next school board meeting on Tuesday.

:banghead: :screwy: :sheep:

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Zero tolerance of what? At first, I thought this had something to do with weapons.

3. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

What are we teaching our children by these actions? Are we trying to tell them that there are no second chances in life? Kids make mistakes. No intended harm, no foul. Can't the adults involved use their brains to make a simple judgement call in these events? I get so absolutely disgusted with school administrators when I see these things in the news.

4. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

And to think it would be easier to kill someone with a sharpened number two pencil than with your standard butter knife. I guess those kids better start learning to write their notes with chalk.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Second chances? This should never be an issue in the first place! It is a stupid butterknife!

:shakehead:

6. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

:rant: Zero Tolerance policies like this are the easy out created by school system admins that are to damn lazy to do their high paying jobs. They don't want to have to explain to Bubba, Tyrone, Lupe, or Shawnikwa's parents/scumbag lawyers why their "never does anything wrong, gangbanging, walking prophylactic commercial" offspring is getting kicked out for having (insert Contraband item here like a Cobalt 60 radiological bomb) and little "miss perfect 4.0 never misses a day model student" Susie who brings a smoke alarm to school as part of science fair project about radioactive items in the home never has a word said to her.

It has a lot to do with the radical leftists in academia that "educate" our teachers and school admins too. Everyone should be equal and we are the only ones professional to determine the correct policies.

Then you get some of the biggest idiots elected to schoolboards that don't/can't do their jobs and give the leftist school admins a reality check or back up the ones with the balls to call a turd a turd and a good kid a good kid.

In the end you get a bunch of left of center butt covering bureacrats who don't really care about education or the children as much as they do about not looking bad and getting fired.

Sorry for the rant but I've got a bunch of "educators and administrators" in my family and I've had several lively discussions about just this sort of stupidity. :banghead:

7. murrybird

murrybird New Member

"

I've gotten to the point that I refer to the no tolerance police as "No Thinking" policy. Because a butter knife, really? You hurt a girl’s chance of graduating on time and spending with her friends over a utensil.

These school board ass hats are moronic boobs of the first order.

8. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Can you imagine what the world is going to be like when this generation, which has been indoctrinated in the "zero tolerance" ideology, graduates and goes on to make decisions in life?

These government (and some private, too probably) schools have taught them that there is no gray, no shading, no common sense, no mense rea,... only dogmatic adherance to a set of rules that allow no deviation.

9. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

By "this generation" do you mean the ones that have graduated since about 1995 onwards?

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear god, what will happen to the lunch ladies who give out Butter Knives at school? I know we had 'em at our High School.

That will be a lot of expulsions to process!

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Arms dealers in our schools? :bigshock:

12. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

And what will happen during art class, when students have to use scissors to cut paper?

And pencils, pens, rulers, the blade of a pencil sharpener? Any of those could be used as a weapon. Are they going to ban those too? Even one of those hardcover textbooks that weighs 5 lbs can hurt if it's thrown at someone else.

:roll:

13. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Art in public school, what part of the state are you from?

I remember back in the early 80's working in shop class with gas welders, furnace to melt aluminum and all sorts of other good fun stuff in school.

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I wonder what they would say about plastic knives? I guess you'd have to stick with a triangular cake cutter. If it has a serrated edge, then you're probably screwed. I saw knives in school (end of year parties, etc.) No one was hurt. The only one hurt here is the future of this girl.

15. misawa

misawa New Member

I remember taking Industrial Arts - fancy way of saying woodworking - in middle school and coming home with a permission slip to my parents... so that I could take my swiss army knife with me to school. And I did every day, without any problems from administration.

Honestly, not once did I ever have the slightest idea to use the blade on a person. Now the handsaw... :shock:

16. Vir Quisque Vir

Vir Quisque Vir New Member

Old School - North Miami High School

1. Go off-campus okay for lunch. Best two places were the local hamburger joint (hamburger, fries and a great real chocolate shake) and Momma Mia's Pizza (had to drive over there, not far).

2. Some students sold cookies, gum and bagels in class to earn their lunch money for the day.

3. Swiss army knife was okay at that time. The few times I ever did eat in the cafeteria, we had butter knives, real metal ones. Apparently, they were not dangerous at that time.

4. In advanced biology, we used to take our cat dissections home to study the muscles and blood vessels, on the school bus was okay! Formalin-preserved specimens with arteries and veins red and blue for identification.

5. You could say a prayer at the beginning of the day along with the Pledge to the flag.

6. Had some really good teachers and graduated 1087 seniors in my senior class. Sure was GLAD when they called Ray Zuppardo up to the stage to get his diploma! The principal did it in alphabetical order.

7. Had a senior walk and if we found juniors or freshmen out there, we threw them in the fountain.

8. Among the worst stuff we did was at the end of the school, most students brought water guns and water tommy guns to school the last two weeks. The smart thing was to hide them inside a book that had a cutout to hide the watergun. The dean of students had 5 large BOXES full of water guns confiscated the last two weeks of school. I am afraid things have changed quite a bit since then, a few for the better, a lot, not.

17. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Everyone please remember that society drives what happens in the school systems. Society is too PC. Unfortunately, the schools have been infiltrated by this mentality.

(DISCLAIMER: FROM MY LIMITED EXPERIENCE.....)

I will second the statement made previously that most school board members and administrators are boobs of the highest order and are not very, if at all, concerned with what is good for the children. The board members are often just good old boys trying to work some under the table deal. One county I know if this is very true - their board is made up of a small network of individuals hoping to profit in some way financially through their membership (i.e. primarily through real estate deals). The teachers, however, ....... Well, you all know how I feel about them ..... (I like to cuddle them. LOL.)

I admit there are many liberal teachers who likely subscribe to this kind of asshat mentality but they are usually the higher level ones (high school teachers, university profs., etc.) If you want to really know what a teacher thinks about this crap - hit happy hour down at On the Border or Hilltoppe Grille on any given Friday. Find the table full of tired looking women looking to cut loose. Now, send over a pitcher of Margaritas, then STFU and listen. You will see really fast where the problems are. I guarantee your perspective with respect to teachers will change.

I mean no disrespect to anyone on this board by my comments. I am sure you all know I have strong feelings on education related topics.

18. Macktee

Macktee New Member

This is what I find truly scary! It's not enough we have school administrators with no cajones who are running away from decision making as fast as their fat little legs will carry them, :scared: we are allowing them to totally screw up an entire generation of children.

When those children are running things, we're all screwed! :sheep:

We can only hope they'll be smarter than the current crop of school administrators and board members...

:crossfinger:

But, I wouldn't bet on it!

:help: