More than 6 months of non events

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by snwmnx, Jan 19, 2011.

1. snwmnx

snwmnx New Member

I have openly carried in and around the city of Dalton, GA (Whitfield County, NW GA) for more than six (6) months now wherever I go. While I have never had a direct confrontation with an LEO during this period, there have been a great many occasions where officers were around me and did not approach me.

I have been reading this forum for some time, and I felt compelled join today for two reasons:

1.) To give the above report
    2.) To thank the LEOs on here that value my rights as a citizen and fight to protect them.

While I am not under the delusion that all LEOs are bad, I do not think they fight for and protect my rights. When I encounter people that are, it fills me with pride...especially if it is a LEO.

So, thank you.

2. grumpy

grumpy New Member

Welcome, and go introduce yourself in the New Members subforum. We do indeed have a number of fine LEOs frequenting this board and they are appreciated, possibly more than they will ever know.

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Great post. I've been carrying for over a year and a half I believe, most of that time openly, and I've never had one event with an officer while I've been carrying. Most officers have been ridiculously supportive of me legally carrying a gun. Its great to live here. It really is. :D :righton:

4. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Mileage may vary.... :shattered: Welcome!

5. EJR914

Amen... Stay out of what county? Is it Cobb? I believe it is. :D

To be honest, I'm glad that I have no good reason at the present to ever put my human body into Cobb Co. for any reason.

6. vooduchikn

vooduchikn New Member

Awesome, may this continue for you and I hope to have the same experience when i get there.

7. AirCrew

AirCrew New Member

I think as the efforts of some to train and educate LEO's this will continue to get better. I have carried openly in Cobb, Paulding, Douglas, Floyd, heck all over the state and have yet to be asked about my weapon. Have had a couple double takes and such, but never stopped. My only negative was a guy at Lowes at the 120 and Barrett and he was just being a jerk.

8. OverTork

OverTork New Member

What'd he do? Did you already put up a post about it?

9. score69

score69 New Member

Yeah not only does the location you are carrying in play into it, but I believe even a bigger factor is that you look comfortable and confident carrying.

I've been OC for about 1 1/2 years now. Primarily in the Barrow, Walton and Oconee county areas, but I OC ANYWHERE I go in GA all the time now. Like I said, most of the time it's near home, but I don't switch to CC if I'm in 'unknown' territory. The wife is finally comfortable with me doing so as well.

In 1 1/2 years I haven't had a MWAG call or any sort of problem, even when I've encoutnered LEO's myself in public. I go to WalMart, PetSmart, HomeDepot, Publix, Sam's Club, Academy Sports, etc on a regular basis and always OC. The only comments I've gotten were things to the effect of 'what kind of holster is that'?

I've got some nice leather coming from Ryan soon and can't wait. Will be my first real custom holsters and belt. Figure if I'm going to OC, I might as well do it in style.

10. snwmnx

snwmnx New Member

Thanks for both the warm welcome and the positive replies.

I've known to stay out of Cobb my entire life. By and large, I consider them to be pretty nazi about most things.

And, vooduchikn, when you get here you should look me up. I sometimes get weary of having to answer all the questions from the general public on my own:

"Are you a cop?"
    "Why do you carry that....GUN?!"
    "You can't have that...can you?"
    "So, you are just trying to get into trouble, aren't you?"

It sometimes feels like educating the public is...an insurmountable goal. One at a time, one day at a time, and keep on exercising my rights.

Y'all take care.

11. MyFred

MyFred Banned

Yeah, sometimes it does seem like an uphill struggle....just remember that you are carrying mostly for your own safety....and thanks for all the good work....

12. vooduchikn

vooduchikn New Member

13. snwmnx

snwmnx New Member

That is the only reason I carry.

I answer questions from people because they ask. ;)

14. Match10

Match10 Active Member

"Dude! DO you know the hammer's back on that thing??!!???!!!!!" :bigshock:

[​IMG]

"Uh, yeah...."

15. elevatorman

elevatorman Member

I have been OCing and CCing in Gwinnett,Walton and Fulton for over 20 years and have only 1 time someone called in a MWAG while I was walking down the road. I have NEVER had any LEO even ask me or say anything to me. I did back in the 80s at walmart OCing I had the manager ask me if I was a cop.

16. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

[​IMG]
    When this one shows, you can guarantee you'll get that response. It's a long process trying to explain to someone this is the safest way to carry a loaded 1911.

17. mtber1172

mtber1172 Member

It's a shame that the obnoxious cops tend to get all the attention, while the good ones tend to go unnoticed.

18. Match10

Match10 Active Member

They did make an indelible impression on me! I remember their names and badge numbers. However, I cannot remember the names of other officers I met recently under better circumstances...

19. mtber1172

mtber1172 Member

I guess that's the way it goes with pretty much anything in life, eh?

Go to a gun forum, 80% of the time, it's folks fussing about a particular gun while the good experiences go unspoken. Same with car forums, etc.

20. EJR914

I actually try to remember the names of the good officers I meet. Its hard because I'm not good with names, but I try to make a conscious effort to remember their names. Never know when you might need one of them.