More rimfire questions

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Sorry to be a pain in the a**, but I'm actually researching my next rifle instead of buying on impulse.

I've decided that I want a sub $350 (sub $300 even better) rimfire rifle that will hit the staples on a target at 25 yards, a golf ball at 50, and a tennis ball (multiple times) at 100.

Should I stay with 22LR or go with 17HMR? The 17 is supposed to have a flatter trajectory and is a higher velocity round, but will a crosswind give a problem with a bullet that only weighs 17 or 18 grains? Are peep sights effective at 100 yards, or is scoped better?

Here are a few that I'm looking at.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/premier_dealer_exclusives/model_597_LSS.asp
    http://www.savagearms.com/93R17gvxp.htm
    http://www.savagearms.com/markiifvxp.htm
    http://www.savagearms.com/markiifvt.htm

Any other reccomendations?

2. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

If you're willing to pay $25 more you can get a CZ 452 in 17HMR or 22LR... I researched it thoroughly a couple of months back and I honestly think that it is the most undervalued rimfire on the market... the second is the Savage with their new triggers which is also much cheaper than the CZ. The crosswind thing is somewhat of a myth, the 22LR and the 17HMR drifted about the same in testing (I'll try and find the link to that).

So, if I were you then I would get a CZ 452 in 17HMR... If it's not in budget, then I'd get the Savage in 17HMR.

Just my 1 1/2 cents.

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The CZ 452 will throw some very nice groups.

4. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Personally, I'd go with .22 LR. Ammo is much easier to find / cheaper.

8)

5. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

I recently traded my old Ruger 10/22 for a Marlin 917v. It's a highly accurate at 100 yrds. It's bolt action and has no sights, so I use a Simmons 3 9x50 scope. The only thing negative about 17 hmr is the cost per round. There are only 3 or 4 ammo makers. I went from paying $11 for 550 rounds to $11 for 50 rounds. I would look at the Ruger 10/22t target rifle with the .920 bull barrel and laminate stock. It offers the 100 yrd accuracy and low per round cost.

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

The 17 will do better against the wind than a 22. Better ballistic coeficent and faster flight time. If your serious about working at 100 yd you will be happyier with a 17. However, if you don't have a .22 rifle you need one. Ammo for the 17 is way more expensive. Plinking ammo cost about five times as much.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I was thiking about staying with a caliber that I already have that's why I'm not looking at 30/30 lever guns. The reason I'm looking at possibly making an exception for a .17 is that at 5.99-6.99 per 50 it's still affordable. With a .17 bolt action, I doubt that 'll be running more than 50 per session. I've heard good things about the .17 round and 100yard target shooting. I was at Jewelry amd Pawn in Dawsonville looking at a few this afternoon and another customer was claiming to be able to hit golf balls at 100 yards with a .17 caliber scoped Remington 597.

8. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

I love my Marlin .17. It's much more accurate and flatter shooting than any .22 I've owned. The only downside to it is you can't shoot any critter bigger than a rabbit with it and get a clean kill. The rounds just won't penetrate that far. On squirrels, rabbits, feral cats, etc.. it's awsome like turning off a light.

They've just started coming out with game point and FMJ ammo for the .17. I've got some but we'll have to wait for hunting season to see how these limited expansion rounds perform.

9. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

.22 LR is cheap compared to everything besides BBs... 17 HMR is NOT expensive compared to every other caliber... It's the same price as 9mm.

Also, I consider anything that can be bought at Wal*Mart "easy to find".

That is what I would get. It consistently groups about the same as rifles that cost over twice that price... like the Anschutz 17HMR. I would give it a trigger job and float the barrel though... but that's cheap and easy.

And it's getting close to your price range... :wink:

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

+1

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

12. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

13. Wiley

Wiley New Member

What about .22 Magnum?