More fundamental glock questions...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by jccls, Feb 17, 2007.

1. jccls

jccls New Member

1) The slide on my G27 wiggles slightly toward the barrel end of the gun. Is that normal?

2) I find that a magazine with 9 rounds doesn't fit in the gun very easily unless the slide is locked back. I can get it in when the slide is forward, but I have to push harder than I expected. Is that normal? Is the G27 made to handle 9 in the mag, 1 in the chamber?

3) The manual told me not to push the firing pin release button when I have it field stripped. Before I read that warning, I did it several times. What would be damaged, and do I have anything to worry about?

I know you all must think I'm an idiot... :oops:

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

No, you're not an idiot. They are legitimate questions. I know I had a lot of questions when I got my first Glock.

1. How? left-right / up-down?

2. That's normal. Yes, you can have a full magazine with one in the pipe. You aren't hurting the gun or the magazine.

3. You're fine. I do it when I clean my Glocks to make sure that the firing pin channel is clear of gunk. Nothing is going to be hurt if it is fully depressed and the pin is sliding without contact. Now, you don't want to forcibly move the pin without having the firing pin safety fully depressed.

3. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

1) Yes. Glocks tend to be "sloppy" as compared to a 1911. The benefit is that they can never be so dirty that it doesn't work. Some competive shooters "peen" the slide to eliminate that wooble. I don't recommend you do it though.

2) I bet that mag is new. Am I correct? If so, give it time for the spring to loosen up. Has anyone messed with the mag? The spring may be installed incorrectly. With a fully loaded mag, you should be able to push down on the top cartridge and it should move 1/4 to 1/2 the width of the cartridge. If it isn't try another mag.

3) Boy, I've done that a million times. Like Rammstein, I test the firing pin safety all the time to make sure the channel is clean. No worries.

If you are really concerned, you could take it to the Glock Office in Smyrna to have an armorer look at it. You could even take it to a gunsmith, most in the area are Glock certified. Glocks are not rocket science nor a precision firearm.

Frankly, its really hard to break a GLOCK. I've tried.

4. jccls

jccls New Member

The slide moves left and right.

Thanks for the help!

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Neither my 19 nor my 23 wiggle at the muzzle end.

Mike is right though. Glock was made to not have tight fitting parts.

Now, if it is a substantial wiggle, then have it checked out. If it is just a little back and forth...you're fine.

I'd say put 300 rounds through it. If you don't get any problems during that you are most likely in the clear.

6. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

The slide on my G27 has a little left-right movement at the muzzle end, but not much.

7. Mike from Philly

I just checked my 19, 26,and 34. They all wobble left to right at the front. The frame stops it from moving. I think you are ok.

8. jccls

jccls New Member

Thanks for the info. I feel much better, now.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Hey Mike,

How do you like that 26? I need to get something smaller to conceal when around certain friends. Friends that I would rather not know that I have a gun.

How pocket friendly is the 26? I was also mulling the idea of a revolver. But I'm not really a big revolver guy. I just need something that is more-o- less invisible. I love the 19, but it is a little too big for certain situations.

10. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I have a G27 but I wanted something smaller because the Glock just didn't cut is when I needed to be really discrete. I did a little bit of looking and decided on the Kahr PM9. It's a little bit smaller than the Glock, but that little bit makes it possible for me to put the PM9 in a pocket holster. I like the way Glocks feel and the PM9 was the "glockiest" of the little pistols I looked at. It's not as small as a P3AT, but i've carried the PM9 in the front pocket of my flat front khakis without anyone saying anything.

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

The PM9 is on the table. I'll have to see how it fits in my hand.

I had to go to a birthday party last week and couldn't risk some of the people there finding out that I carry, so I had to wear my big winter jacket the entire time. And they had the heat up. :?

If I had a button up shirt it would not have been a problem. But I had on a polo that was years old and tighter than my other polos.

I'd probably be able to get away with a G26. But I may just have to go with a true pocket gun.

12. Mike from Philly

The 26 is too big for a pocket gun. Its like having a brick in your pocket. My pants drooped and it was very obvious that either I was frisky or I had a gun in my pocket.

I think a Keltec size gun would work much better for pocket carry.

I haven't tried an ankle holster so I can't comment on that carry method.

I use it now for a glove box gun. Although, I thought about trading it for another 19/23.

The gun shoots great. I shoot it better than my 19 (my USPSA classification scores were always higher with the 26 than the 19). Ive spoken with others and they all say the same thing, they are more accurate with the 26 than a 19/17/34.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

K, Then I'll probably look into that PM9.

I have a Glock 23 in near perfect condition. http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=1819

I'll post more pictures after I get back from classes today.

14. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

You could just buy a couple of new shirts, lots cheaper, though not as much fun. :lol:

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

At the next shoot you can try out my PPK/S. It's easier to conceal than the G19 my wife used to have. It's slim enough that an IWB holster with untucked polo covers fine. You'll lose a little power going from 9mm to .380, but Remington Golden Saber 102gr JHP's help make some of that back up.

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I meant to say if I had a button up shirt on. But yeah, a new gun is always better than new clothes. :D

17. Taler

Taler New Member

Never seen a button up one of those, Ramm. How does it look?

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

lol, my bad. I type too fast sometimes.

19. jccls

jccls New Member

Follow-up question:

When I put 9 in the mag, that sucker is hard as a nut to rack, whereas with 8 it isn't too bad. It's not so hard I can't do it, but it is just significantly harder than with 8. Is this "normal"?

New question:

The spring underneath the barrel won't stay pressed into the groove cut for it. It will slip down, but it won't come completely out. Would anyone mind telling me if theirs does it, too? To check, just field strip it, put it back together, rack it, and take the slide off to see if the spring slipped or not.

My list of dumb questions is never-ending!

20. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member