More Fabulous Reporting From AJC (Cobb Co Commission Race)

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GM404, May 25, 2016.

1. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

So I watched the tally come in from the Cobb County election page last night and no point did Tim Lee ever have the lead, nor did at anytime, was there any doubt as to who was in the lead...at ALL times, Boyce had AT LEAST an 8% lead over Lee. BUT...the AJC's title to the story?

BOYCE INCUMBENT LEE NECK AND NECK IN COBB

The time of the story was after midnight...at 11:30 last night, 90%+ of precincts had reported and Boyce had a lead of 10% over Lee. Sure doesn't seem to be neck to neck to me. Man...I am so sick and tired of the sensationalized reporting.

Unfortunately, Larry Savage took 10% of the vote, forcing a run-off. Thanks Don!!! :mrgreen:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local-...ent-lee-neck-and-neck-in-cobb-chairman/nrSpk/

2. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Yep, on the reporting. I was listening to WSB radio late last night, and on the Mark Arum show, they were giving Mike Boyce credit and wondering if he would make it to the 50% + 1 mark. Good reporting from WSB. But, overall, reporting from other outlets like the AJC is typically crap.

Now, on the Larry Savage thing, if you had listened to both Larry and Mike in the same room, in the various town halls and debates that were held, you would be a Larry voter. He was the best man for the job, since he has done the work and knows the issues very well. But not enough folks got to hear Larry or talk to him. Larry was self funding and didn't have much of a campaign, and didn't want to ask people for money. To his credit, but also to his discredit, since that hurt him. Mike was much more well funded, had a well organized campaign with many volunteers, and has been a bigger charismatic presence, and I give him full credit for that. But I ain't apologizing for supporting Larry! :mrgreen:

I'll be voting for Mike Boyce July 26th, and urging others to do the same.

3. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to talk to Mike on my front porch about a week ago while he was out and about campaigning. I liked what he had to say and seemed genuine...and he got my vote as a result.

I think Larry had one HUGE thing going against him...he's not married and he has no kids. That doesn't help you in a county that is brimming with married folks that have lots of kids. Don't take that to say I don't agree with his choices...I am childfree by choice as well...it just doesn't sit very well with many of the Tennis-Mom's around these parts.

Tim Lee did a GREAT job when he sent out the mailer accusing Mike of being a puppet for Bill Byrne...I think that *really* blew up in his face...especially when Byrne came right out and said, "HEY! Keep me out of this!!!"

Speaking of the election, if you look at the election page, you can see which districts voted for who. In our area (East Snobb), Boyce absolutely wiped the floor with Tim Lee...and oddly enough, Lee got more votes down where the stadium is being built. The trend I see is that the people who pay MORE in taxes went with Boyce and those that pay LESS went with Lee.

There is a lot you can glean on the Cobb County elections here:

http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/GA/Cobb/60075/170183/en/summary.html

Edit...if you think that EVERY vote doesn't count...take a look at the Board of Education race of Morgan and McCrae. Morgan got 1742 of 2423 votes for 50.89% of the vote. With just ONE more vote...he would be over the 51%.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  4. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Good info. I like Mike, I know him and have talked with him many times. (I voted for him last time, after he was in the runoff against Lee in '12.) He's a good guy and he will grow in office. I'm confident he'll win the run off and we will be rid of Tim Lee.

Good point about Larry and no kids. Mike also has a large group of friends and fellow church goers. He's got a built in social network of support. I like Larry, great guy, but this is a deficiency he has, and he knows it.

5. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Cobb Reassessments were received by the Cobb County voters on Saturday, and we were reassessed up 45%. Yeah, we are not paying for that stadiummmm. THAT pissed off many voters with immediate backlash towards thoughts of Tim "Gravytrain" Lee.

6. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Yep. And if you noticed the way districts voted, those who paid the highest taxes went with Boyce (67% in my district which is one of the wealthiest in the county) whereas those that pay the least went with Lee. It's not an anomaly.