More Drunken Armed College Students

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:roll:

Counterpoint:

http://tinyurl.com/ywn53q

2. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Is it just me that is thinking that heads of police chiefs associations and police chiefs associations in general are a major part of the problem?

3. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Well you see the police are always armed. And they can not be held legally liable if they do not protect you from harm as the USSC has held that their job is to investigate crime not afford protection from crime.

So they got theirs. Sucks to be a civie.

4. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Exactly :roll: That's why when I see "protect and serve" on the side of a cop car I chuckle inside. (Nothing against cops. But it's more towards the system.)

5. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Protect and serve looks better than "Bag Up Your Dead Body and Serve"

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Lose or misplace guns? If I lost an $800+ handgun or $1K rifle....I wouldn't go to class until I found it.

College students drink? Oh gosh! we must alert the news media about this amazing story. The world must know about this.

7. Purge

Purge New Member

I was on a college campus with 6,000 students and I never saw anyone drink alcohol and it was in VA. I live such a sheltered life.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Make sure to include the term "binge" along with drinking in the press release. Also point out that it happens during spring break in various Florida beach towns.

9. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Funny. I drink. In my younger days I partied pretty damn hard on a regular basis. I have also owned firearms since I was about 13 years old and my first handgun was purchased by me when I became legal to do so.

So, I drank and I owned firearms, and you know what? I never shot anyone. I never pulled a firearm in a drunken show of force. In fact, I never even referenced the firearms I had in my possession (or my vehicle).

Must be this new generation of college students. I blame Rammstein.

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

You ever seen how college kids drink in Savannah on St. Patty's Day?

It makes PCB and Daytona look like the junior league...

11. Malum Prohibitum

You forgot crack . . .

12. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

"Drunk" is the problem, not the weapon. I hold the same opinion here that I do with GA carry law. There is no reason to restrict a person from going into a Chili's or other similar type restaurant for a meal just because alcohol is sold for consumption on the premises. The law should address alcohol/drug consumption and influence while being in possession of weapon.

Make it a major felony with serious mandatory time attached for a person that is consuming or under the influence of alcohol and drugs while in the possession of a weapon. Such would not infringe on your right to keep and bare arms.

As for the college student issue, and I may be on shaky ground here, how would the folks here feel about tying publicly funded financial aid and scholarships to the issue? Any person convicted of violating the above mentioned law and on a campus or at a collegiate function would be barred from receiving such aid. Such a proposal would be on dangerous ground though as some politico might get the idea to tie any "carry" violation to such funding. I mention this only as part the discussion of getting carry "allowed' on campuses and do not necessarily advocate such a law. I simply think the discussion of such a proposal would be interesting.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Felonies used to be reserved for the most serious of offenses. There was a time when felony meant = death penalty.

So you want to make a felon out of somebody that has one glass of Cabernet Souvignon with his (very good) steak at Chops?

Wow.

14. Malum Prohibitum

I would reserve punishment for the drunk who threatens people or uses his firearm.

15. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

My point is to make issue about intoxicant consumption and influence and not the weapon.

16. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I don't know about tying the penalty to funding. I think that opens too many doors to screw a person that shouldn't be screwed. What happens if you get charged, later get off but by then have had your funding revoked & you have to spent 6-12 months trying to straighten that crap out?

I have zero problem with carrying while DRUNK being just as serious as driving while drunk. However, I'll call you to the mat to argue with my ability to drink a beer (or glass of wine or cup of saki) and responsibly carry. Drinking shouldn't be punished period. Driving shouldn't be punished period. Carrying a gun shouldn't be punished period. Doing any of the above irresponsibly is a whole nuther matter. Combining any of the above being potentially more seriously punished than any of the items individually.

17. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

As I said, the mention of the funding issue is for discussion purposes. Such a measure would have to be applied to a conviction and not just an arrest. Incidentally, the HOPE scholarship in GA can be revoked for a person convicted of VGCSA.

As for the alcohol consumption, there are many ways it could go. It could be tied to certain BACs and/or some sort of standard of measurement and performance much like a DUI, but my personal feeling is that intoxicants and weapons should never cross paths. I also feel it would make it an easier sell for the legislature than simply removing the places restriction for alcohol.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I think tying it to BAC would be reasonable. .08 or whatever the legal limit is for driving. But, I'd imagine that the General Assembly would get the warm and fuzzies from a zero tolerance approach to alcohol and carrying.

19. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

.08 would be WAY too high of a limit.

20. Malum Prohibitum

The reason it is a bad idea altogether is - look at DUI laws.

Roadblocks, implied consent, breath testing.

How humiliating would it be to have some cocky 20 year old officer administering breath tests to you at the front entrance of a restaurant in front of your friends and family? Touch your nose, stand on one leg, too. Disarmed the whole time, of course, and listening to his lecture.

No thanks.

How many incidents of drunken murders have there been in Georgia involving GFL holders? Let's deal with reality rather than irrational fear.