Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 250cc Gas Powered Slowped for going to and from work (20 miles round trip)

- 80+mph
- 60+mpg
- Not single, so not looking to pick up chicks :lol:
- $2,000 free residential shipping

Anyone ever owned of these? I could drop my monthly gas expenses from $150 a month down to $30 or so. Plus I still have a car for raining days.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Would pay for itself in less than a year and a half just in gas. Not to mention theoretically reduced maintenance costs on your car.

250 should have enough get up and go for most driving. Probably wouldn't take it on a busy interstate though.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dcannon1 said:
Would pay for itself in less than a year and a half just in gas. Not to mention theoretically reduced maintenance costs on your car.

250 should have enough get up and go for most driving. Probably wouldn't take it on a busy interstate though.
I wouldn't get anything less than 250cc. 50cc ain't gonna cut it.

No highway to and from work, so good there.

My thing is it doesn't look like gas is going to get ANY cheaper as life goes on. I wouldnt use this thing for date night with the wife, but just for a work commute, could save ALOT of money.

Edit: And more money = more guns and bullets :lol:

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,838 Posts
imho youd be happier with something like this.... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=58218
not sure of hi exact color but its probably along these lines\/ i had one i got 58mpg out of it and insurance was pretty cheap too

you dont want to be riding and not have the power needed to move out of the way....

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I wanted something $2,000 or less with auto trans and brand new.

Of course god can throw anything he wants at you, motocycle or moped.

I did consider a motorcycle, but anything in the condition I want it, going to have a higher price tag.

$2,000 was my limit if this was going to save me money, short term. Sure any motorcycle would save me money long term, but I wanted to see fast results.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,838 Posts
well the initial out lay of cash isnt gonna save you anything....youd be better of just getting ird of your cell phone or not eating out 1 time a week plus scooters are for wimen :p

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I would highlly suggest you look into a well known and reliable brand of scooter. The cheap Chinese made stuff is better than it was 5 years ago, but its still nowhere near what you can get for a little more in terms of reliability. Also, you may find that many scooter shops around town will not touch the off-brand (chinese especially) stuff, as they want nothing at all to do with it. Spending $2k to get a piece of junk isn't going to save you any money in the long or the short term.

For $2k, you can get a used Ninja 250; or a used scooter of higher quality and known reliability. :righton:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the stores I was looking at his an american assembly plant with japanese parts.

I guess it could be a lie, Ill do some more diggin

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
martin_j001 said:
For $2k, you can get a used Ninja 250; :righton:
That's always my suggestion when someone wants a cheap commuter. Great mileage, cheap up front cost, and it's still a motorcycle. Plus non-motorcycle people usually tell the difference between a 250 Ninja and a faster bike so you don't have to feel self conscious about riding a 250 :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Personally, if I'm going the uber cheap route it's a 50cc scooter. Reasons:

1. No insurance required. Instant savings.
2. If 70mpg is good, 90mpg is better.
3. I'm down 30lbs from Christmas. Incentive to keep the weight off. ;)
4. My commute is only 5.5 miles and all that on back roads and through subdivisions.
5. You can get them in the $750-$1900 range.

No, they are not highway goers. Yes, you are going to be slow. Of course you can park it anywhere and the looks you get are priceless. I imagine OC on a 50cc will be interesting... :lol:

I have motorcycles too, and they are fun and economical but if you are wanting to save money, go big or go home. If you just want two wheels, get a real motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Whatever you do, if you end up buying a used motorcycle for commuting and not speed racing, pay attention to your riding comfort too. Some of the "Ninja" type bikes look real cool with low bars and a rider position intended to enhance handling at high speed. Unless you plan on knee dragging your way to work every day, you may find spending a lot of time going down the road looking like a monkey humping a football gets real old real quick.

For example, I've owned both the Yamaha R1 and R6 as well as the FZ-1. I'd take the R1 and especially the R6 around any track any time, drag a knee on almost every turn. But I'll take that FZ-1 with its upright rider position and much more comfortable aftermarket seat from Atlanta to Washington D.C. along the Blue Ridge Parkway, and still have incredible horsepower on tap whenever necessary.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Ninja 250 and 500 are both pretty upright I believe. Maybe not as relaxed as the FZ-1 or a naked SV (I put lower bars on mine because I'm comfortable lower), but still pretty relaxed.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
martin_j001 said:
I would highlly suggest you look into a well known and reliable brand of scooter. The cheap Chinese made stuff ....
If that is the one I think it is, it's made in India and is a step down in quality from Chinese. From what I hear, repair of these PEP Boys specials leaves a lot to be desired.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts