moon clips

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ffej, Oct 5, 2006.

1. ffej

ffej New Member

Hi,
    I'm looking for information on revolver moon clips. It looks like they are only made in 6, 7 or 8 shot. Don't they come for 5 shot revolvers? Are moon clips more suited to match shooting for fast reloads? Is this why I don't see any 5 shot clips? I have the HKS speedloader, but thought the moon clips would be better (less bulky and faster loading) for carry.
    Also, do moon clips fit in all standard revolvers - does the cylinder need to be shortened?
    Thanks for the advice

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think moon clips are used only in revolvers chambered for automatic cartiridges, i.e., no flange on the rim of the cartridge to keep it from sliding through. The Moon clip fits into the same area that the extractor on an automatic grabs to eject the round.

I am not aware of any such device for standard revolver rounds.

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

May seem like a stupid question but here goes anyway....

Why not just use speed loaders? Like MP said, moon clips are really just so you can use autoloader ammo in revolvers. If your going for a rapid reload of standard ammo in a wheel gun then speed loaders are just what the doctor ordered.

4. ffej

ffej New Member

Thanks Mal and USMC.
    I did not know that moon clips were only for autoloading ammo.
    So I guess all the revolver contest shooters must use revolvers chambered for automatic rounds...?
    Thanks for the help.

5. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Rimmed

There are some custom guns that use moon clips on rimmed ammo but the cylinder face has to be milled to accept them. Jerry what his name(Greased Lighting) with Smith & Wesson uses them.

Smith, Taurus, and Charter made a five round (J frame) revolver in 9mm at one time.

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Taurus makes a .45ACP 5 round revolver. You can load it without the moon clip, but there is no mass ejection. You have to pull each spent case out by hand, one at a time. With the moon clip they all eject when the moon clip is ejected.