Mood at Time of 14th Amendment

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

"In many counties they [the Klan] have preceded their outrages upon him by disarming him, in violation of his right as a citizen to 'keep and bear arms,' which the Constitution expressly says shall never be infringed." House Committee Report on Protection of Loyal and Peaceable Citizens in the South.

"Said counties were under sway of powerful combinations, popularly known as the 'Ku Klux Klan,' the objects of which were, by force and terror, to prevent all political actions not in accord with the views of the members, and to deprive colored citizens of the right to bear arms and of the right to a free ballot." President (and future NRA president) Ulysses S. Grant, message to Congress, April 19, 1872.

"Sir, I find in the Constitution of the United States an article which declares that 'the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' For myself, I shall insist that the reconstructed rebels of Missisippi respect the Constitution in their local laws before I will even consider their claims to represention in Congress.... Congressman Sydney Clarke, 1866.

"The United States shall guarantee to each state a republican form of government, says the Constitution. ... A government where no law shall be made prohibiting the free exercise of religion; where the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; where the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects shall not be violated." Congressman Roswell Hart, 1866

http://www.hardylaw.net/2nddocumentary.html

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

From the New Englander and Yale Review:

. . . Take, for instance, the right to keep and bear arms. The second amendment says, “it shall not be infringed.†May it still be infringed by everybody except Congress, and Congress not bound to protect it? “Nor shall any person be compelled. . . . . . to be a witness against himself?†Is the whole duty of the Government, in regard to this part of the Constitution, which they were appointed to execute, merely to abstain from violating it themselves, though they should allow it to be violated every day, by subjects owing allegiance to the same Constitution?

. . .

The second and sixth amendments seem almost necessarily to be applied to the states by their terms. If a well regulated militia is necessary to a free state, it is certainly as necessary that the right to bear arms should not be infringed by the state itself, as by any body else....

Vol. 21, Issue 81, October 1862
    State Rights
    http://gunshowonthenet.com/AfterTheFact ... 01862.html