MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by bdee, Jan 11, 2011.

1. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

I am sure I am not the only MMA fan on here, so those of you that are, join the discussion.

The latest news has Brock Lesnar facing Junior dos Santos after they coach TUF 13.

I think Lesnar is primed to take a third straight beating. dos Santos has the best stand up in the division, and would have beaten Velasquez if he weren't injured.

2. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

I haven't followed any of the of the major events since Lesnar got sick, but I don't think he was ever really ready for the belt to begin with. Sure he can hit you like a freight train, and he's definitely fast for someone his size, but there's so many fighters who are more elite on every aspect of the sport. Lesnar needs more training, time, and especially humility before he'll ever be ready to call himself a champion.

I'm really out of the loop... is Fedor Emelianenko still relevant? I was hoping he'd sign with UFC last time I really paid attention to the sport. I'm guessing that never happened.

3. rabbivj

rabbivj My Name is Inigo Montoya

I dont think Brock is gonna win...Cigano is gonna beat him on the feet easily.

4. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Brock came back. He took a beating from Shane Carwin for 5 min.. In the 2nd round Carwin had gassed himself and got submitted.
    This last fight Cain Velasquez not only beat Lesnar on the feet, but out wrestled him as well. Lesnar was stopped in the first round.

As for Fedor, he lost to Werdum in 69 seconds. Then he signed a 4 fight deal with Strikeforce. He doesn't want anything to do with real competition.

Rabbi, yes JDS will tear Lesnar up on the feet. Brock's only chance is to get it to the ground.

5. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

That's too bad about Fedor, I had high hopes for him... but, then again, I knew he hadn't really fought anyone worth writing home about.

As for Lesnar, I'd like to see him succeed because he has so much potential... but I think he needs to take a few more beatings so that he'll humble himself and take the sport more seriously. The way he carried himself after decimating Frank Mir was shameful.

6. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Fedor got overly aggressive when he had Wedum hurt, and got caught in a triangle.

Lesnar was much more humble after both his last two fights, but yes his behavior after the Mir fight was embarrassing.

I don't think he has a poor chin, I just think he needs to be coached in what to do when hit. Both times he caught in trouble when he tried to scramble away when hit. I'd suggest that he immediately go for a clinch or a double until his head clears. And if he can establish a superior position, so much the better.

It just appears that he has no confidence in his stand up.

7. D3R3K

D3R3K New Member

I think Lesnar was just playing the role of "the bad guy". It helps sell tickets and PPV when people really want to see a bad guy take a beating.

8. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

I know that Koscheck and Tito do the same thing. It does sell tickets.

9. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

They have posted some good live fights on ufc's facebook page.

10. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

All of the proceeds of the fight are being donated to the Intrepid Warriors Foundation. They are working on TBI

To make a donation:

https://www.fightforthetroops.com/

11. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Fedor gets his face pounded. Looks like he is going to retire.

Too bad, but we all get old eventually.

12. rabbivj

Fedor's face looks worse than when he fought crocop.

13. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Yeah I was thinking broken orbital. But that's what happens when a 6'4, 285 man straddles you and punches you in the face 30-40 times.

14. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

I don't think Fedor is finished just yet. He might take some time off to put things into perspective, but he's still got plenty of fight left in him. Early 30's isn't too old for MMA, or any sport, just so long as your heart is still in the game. He might pull a Randy Couture "retirement", only I think he'll produce much different results than Couture did when he returns.

15. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

This one surprised me.
    Zuffa/UFC has just purchased Strikeforce. So we may end up seeing Fedor in the UFC after all, that is if he doesn't retire.

16. cherok

cherok New Member

Same here! Talk about wild... Interesting to see what fights we will get.

17. rabbivj

According to BLAF, its gonna be business as usual but when the showtime contract is up...SF is gonna be dissolved according to Josh Gross.

18. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

The more I read, I think this will end up being bad for the sport. I know I can't afford two PPV's a month. But once all the competition is gone, how can fighters negotiate for more? Where are we going to go if we can't afford to pay that much to watch it?

19. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

So tonight with Shogun's Muay Thai or Jone's athleticism, who takes it?

My guess is that Jones is a couple of fights away from challenging for a title. I've never seen him hit hard like he will be tonight, so I don't know how he'll respond.

What do you think?

20. cherok

cherok New Member

Can't help but think that shogun's experience is going to win out. But jones IS a bad cat for sure. It'll be fun to watch!