Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
So much for the "legacy" of the communist womanizer. I never understood the rationale for having a national holiday to honor someone whose life is locked from view in sealed files. 10 more years to go.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,584 Posts
Well.... despite MLK's faults, he became "THE" face of the Civil Rights movement.
And that's what MLK day is really all about-- the cause to which he dedicated his adult life. Ending segregation and institutionalized discrimination.
To that extent, I don't mind celebrating "his birthday." But it's not really the man I'm thinking of. Certainly not his communist ties, his womanizing, his plagarizing, the vile tactics of some of his followers. I'm not celebrating the modern left's view on race-- Affirmative Action, quotas, lower standards, white guilt, excusing and even overlooking black culture's glorification of violence and abuse of women. Going back to MLK's day 50-60 years ago, I see terrible institutionalized racisim that is un-American and anti-individual. I'm celebrating the idea of fighting injustice, and if MLK is "the face" of that movement, then I'm celebrating him too.

He doesn't have to be perfect to be worthy of praise for his good works.

·
PawPaw x 3
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He doesn't have to be perfect to be worthy of praise for his good works.
100% percent concurrence.
It is sad that some of those that celebrate him do not recognize, know, and/or consider that he was on one of the spectrum in regards to his chosen tactics for activism.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Biggest hypocrite ever was. Only person he was trying to help was himself.
And calling him a Reverend disgraces Holy men of every color that are trying to live their beliefs.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
MLK is an icon and a hero to a significant percentage of the population. He would likely have been President had he lived. We are all imperfect human beings living in a fallen world. Personally he may have been atrocious, but his accomplishments are undeniable. He has passed from reality to symbolic and there is nothing we can or should do about it.

·
American
3,289 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
So we trash Hilleary and Bill for being liars, hypocrites and having no personal integrity. But this guy while calling himself a minister was the same liar and hypocrite lacking personal integrity but he gets a pass? Society sure didn't feel that way when Jerry Farwell or other white ministers were caught doing the same things King was guilty of. They crucified them but because King is black he's an icon. Seems to me the black race could do much better in choosing their icons. True equality means no double standard.

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
And calling him a Reverend disgraces Holy men of every color that are trying to live their beliefs.
Why? Before King was involved with the civil rights movement he was an accredited, established reverend. He received a Bachelor of Divinity degree from Crozer Theological Seminary and was the pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, AL. You can fault him as a "holy man" since he was skeptical of some of Christianity's basic tenets but so are lots of pastors and lay people.

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
And that's what MLK day is really all about-- the cause to which he dedicated his adult life. Ending segregation and institutionalized discrimination.
To that extent, I don't mind celebrating "his birthday." But it's not really the man I'm thinking of. Certainly not his communist ties, his womanizing, his plagarizing, the vile tactics of some of his followers. I'm not celebrating the modern left's view on race-- Affirmative Action, quotas, lower standards, white guilt, excusing and even overlooking black culture's glorification of violence and abuse of women. Going back to MLK's day 50-60 years ago, I see terrible institutionalized racisim that is un-American and anti-individual. I'm celebrating the idea of fighting injustice, and if MLK is "the face" of that movement, then I'm celebrating him too.
Yes. King is the face of the biggest failed piece of social engineering ever imposed on the American society. The Civil Rights Act of 1964. Johnson and the democrats pushed through the biggest piece of collective economic subjugation ever seen. Black society, in general, has been in a perpetual downward spiral ever since it was enacted. King bought into it. Maybe he didn't fully understand the future implications of the Act. Maybe he did. I don't know. It's been over 50 years and race relations are abysmal. But I certainly don't want to prevent anyone from celebrating anything they want if it makes them feel good.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Why? Before King was involved with the civil rights movement he was an accredited, established reverend. He received a Bachelor of Divinity degree from Crozer Theological Seminary and was the pastor of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, AL. You can fault him as a "holy man" since he was skeptical of some of Christianity's basic tenets but so are lots of pastors and lay people.
To take the pulpit and preach on purity and marriage while you're running around fathering illegitimate children outside your marriage is disgraceful. That's not being skeptical, that's being a fake and a hypocrite. Doesn't matter how many other pastors are doing it, it's still wrong. Any pastor behaving himself as such should remove himself from the position.

And most of his academic work was plagiarized. As were most of his sermons. His first sermon he preached at Ebenezer Baptist church in 1947 was plagiarized from a homily by Harry Emerson Fosdick entitled " Life is what you make it." The first book that King wrote "Stride toward Freedom " was plagiarized from numerous unattributed sources.

And about his work at Crozer Theological Seminary, here's a direct quote about his work there from the book "The Papers of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. " Quote " Judged retroactively by the standards of academic scholarship, his writings are tragically flawed by numerous instances of plagiarism. " Unquote. And another quote from the book speaking of plagiarism: " Appropriated passages are particularly evident in his writings in his major field of graduate study: Systematic Theology." And by the way, "The Papers of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr." was published by the King Center's own scholars.

While at Crozer, His essay " The Place of Reason and Experience of Finding God" pirated passages from Edger S. Brightmans work " The Finding of God." Another thesis " Contemporary Continental Theology" written at Boston University was almost entirely stolen from a book by Walter Marshal Horton.

His Doctoral Dissertation "A Comparison of the Perceptions of God and the Thinking of Paul Tillich and Harry Nelson Wyman" contains more than fifty complete unattributed sentences from the PhD dissertation of Dr. Jack Boozer which was titled " The Place of Reason in Paul Tillich's Concept of God." According to the King Centers book " The Papers of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. " Quote " Only 49% of sentences in the section on Tillich contained five or more words that were king's own. " Unquote.

I could go on and on, but the facts are that nothing about the man was legitimate. He lied in his personal life, he lied in his academic life, and he lied to his congregations. He was a liar. A fake and a phony.

The only reason he is a so called icon is because he was martyred. Had he lived he would eventually been discredited as have most of the other civil rights "icons" have.

I am all for equal rights. I am not for praising and rewarding bad behavior.
It's a bad idea when training children. And a bad idea when choosing so called icons or leaders.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,932 Posts

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know this about him until now:

http://www.worldreligionnews.com/re...dical-religious-beliefs-martin-luther-king-jr

Apparently, MLK did not believe the Scriptures that Jesus was born of a virgin or that He is truly God in the flesh. If he was never a believer (therefore counting God a liar), then he is burning in hell regardless of any of his "good works".
King isn't the first nor will he be the last "religious" person to function contrary to scripture. Jorge Bergoglio is doing his best to fundamentally transform the Catholic Church. Where have we heard that term before?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,932 Posts
Indeed. Matthew 7:22-23 comes to mind with regard to MLK and those like him.

As far as JB goes - I have a feeling he won't have a difficult time with his "transformation" efforts. It shouldn't be difficult to remove the facade of righteousness from an organization that is already doctrinally corrupt at its core.

Ceremony, doctrines of men, and feeble human works cannot redeem the soul.

King isn't the first nor will he be the last "religious" person to function contrary to scripture. Jorge Bergoglio is doing his best to fundamentally transform the Catholic Church. Where have we heard that term before?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.