Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a customer looking around the store asking about guns and his buddy asked him about his MISDEMEANOR probation really loudly. I KNOW felony pro and I know Lautenberg rules but what is the deal on misdemeanor probation? Can they be around/handle them while ON probation? Can they purchase? Can they use the range while still on probation? :help:

·
Senior Mumbler
6,671 Posts
mathar1 said:
I had a customer looking around the store asking about guns and his buddy asked him about his MISDEMEANOR probation really loudly. I KNOW felony pro and I know Lautenberg rules but what is the deal on misdemeanor probation? Can they be around/handle them while ON probation? Can they purchase? Can they use the range while still on probation? :help:
Run a background check on him :shattered:

·
Super Moderator
69,893 Posts
Depends on the conditions of his probation. They may include no firearms. I do not believe this is a crime, or that you would be committing a crime by providing the firearm (although you will want to doublecheck that), but it may be a violation of the conditions of his probation, which could land him in the pokey.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
If it was something stupid like probation for not paying a speeding ticket , or throwing a cig butt into the street or texting while driving things like that he is fine .BUT it all depends in his stipulations though.

·
Liver Abuser
1,061 Posts
Looks like a firearms restriction is discretionary under OCGA 42-8-35. However, it may be standard in certain jurisdictions.

If your potential customer has a firearms restriction, the court should have entered that information into the system and NICS would have it. If he is on "First Offender" status, the case is considered open and he would be a prohibited person until the case is closed/dismissed. etc.

IANAL YMMV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts