Mirrors used as cover/concealment

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by JeffSmith2208, Oct 25, 2010.

1. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

So I was at a local book store today thumbing through a few magazines when I came across an article that caught my attention. It was about the history and use of mirrors that troops and LEO's would hide behind unseen. The mirror would be angled to reflect the surrounding landscape while the soldier/officer would lay prone behind it with their rifle aimed through a small sliding "window" in the middle of the mirror. The result, when viewed from the enemy's position, was an invisible fighting (or hiding) position. I mean, you just couldn't see the thing. The user did have to account for sun glare and the like, but when setup correctly the shooter was invisible.

The article, if I remember correctly, said the Germans invented this technology in WWII and that LEO's in America adopted it when moving in on buildings where there was no cover around them, only wide open land. Word got around about the successes of using the device and soon it found it's way into military hands.

The magazine was SWAT, if I'm not mistaken, and it was a pretty entertaining article. They not only showed pictures of correct usage, but incorrect as well. Oh, and I think they said it was made of polished aluminum, not glass.

2. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

I've seen this technique used unsuccessfully in a Bruce Lee movie... I'd love to read the article. Link?

3. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

I tried to look for a link, but had no luck...

4. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Definitely not cover.

5. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

... and hardly concealment.

Try your own experiment, go into a field and stand up a mirror in the middle and step back 40-100 yards. Are you fooled?
    Magicians use mirrors to trick the audience, but in carefully controlled situations.

6. 175FO

175FO Member

That is completely ridiculous. Not a terrible idea for someone in a static position, like a sniper or observation post, but using a mirror when moving in on a building as concealment? I don't think that is a good idea, it would be better to simply move quickly across an open area then to try to hide behind a giant mirror.

7. no clever name

no clever name New Member

8. Deek

Deek Active Member

9. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Dude.. the predator uses the mirror tech and he is crazy successful with it.

10. no clever name

no clever name New Member

Deek,

who makes the one you posted? it accomplishes the same thing as the ghost blind, maybe it's cheaper.

11. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

I'm just posting what the article said. Opinions are opinions, you may think it's ridiculous, but tell that to the officers who were moving in on drug houses that would wind up burned before they could get to them. They were moving across open areas, and until they started using these mirrors they couldn't gather evidence because of the fires. No evidence equals no case.

I swear, it seems like every time someone posts something on this forum there is some smart ass that just wants to bash the thread. If you have nothing to constructively add to the thread then keep your infinite wisdom to yourself.

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

:lol: Your skin may be a bit too thin.

13. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

I would suppose after I have 3000 post my skin might get thicker.

14. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Has nothing to do with it, bub.