Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://charlotte.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/pr ... 031811.htm

“Attempts to undermine the legitimate currency of this country are simply a unique form of domestic terrorism,†U.S. Attorney Tompkins said in announcing the verdict. “While these forms of anti-government activities do not involve violence, they are every bit as insidious and represent a clear and present danger to the economic stability of this country,†she added. “We are determined to meet these threats through infiltration, disruption, and dismantling of organizations which seek to challenge the legitimacy of our democratic form of government.â€

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hm, yeah, he probably should have made it a bit more distinct from current US currency...

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Terrorism? Really?

Or is this like a 'hate' crime? Just another way for the government to lock people away for longer than normal statutes allow.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Had he not passed it off with the deliberate intention of infusing it into the economy as legal tender and currency, he may have had a decent leg to stand on.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
No, I can definitely see him being convicted of counterfeiting, but terrorism?

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,838 Posts
bdee said:
No, I can definitely see him being convicted of counterfeiting, but terrorism?
did the coins look identical to US monies? how do you counterfeit something that isnt the same

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
No, but they were the same size, shape, and weight and he introduced them into the currency to unsuspecting markets. Counterfeiting seems an easy charge to prove.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
rmodel65 said:
did the coins look identical to US monies? how do you counterfeit something that isnt the same
I don't think it has to look identical. There will always be differences in counterfeits. I believe it's how they are used that counts.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
bdee said:
It's still how this can be characterized as terrorism. :screwy:
And how it has always been the Secret Service's responsibility to track/manage is crazy as well...

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
I think what REALLY upsets the Fed is that instead of the fake coins issued (copper pennies that are really zinc, quarters that are primarily copper and contain almost no silver, nickles made primarily of materials other than nickel) the coins marketed actually contained (gasp!) precious metals.

“Attempts to undermine the legitimate currency of this country are simply a unique form of domestic terrorism,†U.S. Attorney Tompkins said in announcing the verdict. ... “We are determined to meet these threats through infiltration, disruption, and dismantling of organizations which seek to challenge the legitimacy of our democratic form of government.â€
Someone needs to clue her in, we have a Republic not a democracy. See Article 4, Clause 1 of the United States Constitution.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Sad to say, I have more confidence in the integrity of the coins he minted than in the US dollar.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I believe this guy made the 2nd Amendment dollars for Bud's which have now disappeared from their website.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Jonboy said:
I believe this guy made the 2nd Amendment dollars for Bud's which have now disappeared from their website.
They were there the day before yesterday too :screwy:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,914 Posts
Have you noticed how if we do anything that the government doesn't like, they are now labeling it terrorism?

Its not become such a "catch phrase" that people don't even think about it anymore.

They do it so that it makes everything they don't like seem that much worst.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
JeF4y said:
bdee said:
It's still how this can be characterized as terrorism. :screwy:
And how it has always been the Secret Service's responsibility to track/manage is crazy as well...
That would be because the SS falls under the Dept of Treasury.

The real question is why is the SS responsible for the president's security. The answer there is because it is constitutionally mandated.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
EJR914 said:
Have you noticed how if we do anything that the government doesn't like, they are now labeling it terrorism?
Unless you are a muslim shooting servicemen/women while yelling "Allah Akbar!"

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
mountainpass said:
EJR914 said:
Uhhhh, he will be court-martialed, and likely put to death. They don't need to tack on a terrorism charge to extend his prison stay if they are going to put him to death.

So we have a sovereign citizen counterfeiting, and this is about Islam???? So is that what's happening? Let's turn every thread into one about Islam? :screwy:

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
bdee said:
mountainpass said:
EJR914 said:
Uhhhh, he will be court-martialed, and likely put to death. They don't need to tack on a terrorism charge to extend his prison stay if they are going to put him to death.

So we have a sovereign citizen counterfeiting, and this is about Islam???? So is that what's happening? Let's turn every thread into one about Islam? :screwy:
That's what you do, turn every thread into a religious one. Why can't I do it?

Plus why is our government saying counterfeiting is terrorism, and the recent shooting in Germany is not?
link
The U.S. has launched an FBI-led investigation into the shooting and officials told ABC News it is too soon to determine whether the attack was an act of terror and if the suspect acted alone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts