Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposedly being investigated as a homicide?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/18/questions-over-why-minnesota-cops-had-body-cameras-off-during-shooting-australian-woman.html

The Hennepin County medical examiner said late Monday that Damond died from a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

There were no known witnesses other than the two officers in the squad car that showed up. A newspaper report said Damond was shot while standing alongside the car in her pajamas.

The officer believed to have shot Damond, identified by his attorney as Somali-American Mohamed Noor, said in a statement that he came to the U.S. at a young age and that he believes being a police officer is his calling.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune, citing three unnamed sources, reported that the police shot Damond through the door of their patrol car.

Don Damond, Justine's fiance, said the family has been given almost no additional information about what happened after police arrived.

Almost two days after her death, police have still offered no public explanation and referred questions to the state's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which was investigating.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Add to all that the reported fact that none of the officers body cams was on nor was the squad cars video active.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune, citing three unnamed sources, reported that the police shot Damond through the door of their patrol car.
An article I read yesterday indicated that Damond, who was in a bathrobe, was on the outside of the driver's side of the car talking with the driver. The cop that shot her was in the passenger seat. If the shooter indeed shot through the door and not the window, his gun didn't come up very far. I wonder if he already had it out and was holding it on his lap and had an ND?

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Heard this morning on Fox News that the cops said they were "startled" by fireworks they may have mistaken for gunshots. Someone is digging real deep for a narrative that the brain dead will buy.

·
69,784 Posts
http://www.startribune.com/minneapo...-justine-damond-minnesota-bca-says/435251273/

Near the end of the alley, a "loud sound" startled Harrity. A moment later, Justine Damond, the woman who had called 911, approached the driver's side of the squad car. Suddenly a surprise burst of gunfire blasted past Harrity as Noor fired through the squad's open window, striking Damond in the abdomen.
We do have more information, though it's frustrating to have some of the picture but not all of it," Hodges said. "We cannot compel Officer Noor to make a statement; I wish we could," she said, quickly clarifying: "I wish that he would make a statement."

·
American
3,289 Posts
He has several excessive force charges on his record after 2 years on the police force. One was dismissed without discipline. The others are "still under investigation". He's looking more and more like the Poster Boy for Progressive Policing.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I do not know if the officer is in jail or not but Joe public sure would be if involved in a shooting and refused to give a statement....?

Brian

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
Supposedly being investigated as a homicide?
Homicide is a classification of death meaning that the death was caused by the hand/action of another.

If you shoot and kill someone who is attacking you with an axe, the cause of that death would be a homicide, but that does not make it a murder.

There is no question that it is being investigated as a homicide. It is a homicide. The question is to whether or not it is a murder or manslaughter.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,173 Posts
No matter how you look at it, its a bad shoot. Cop needs long time in jail. Very long time.

Nemo

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
no situation exists that can't be made worse by the simple insertion of a police officer

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
I do not know if the officer is in jail or not but Joe public sure would be if involved in a shooting and refused to give a statement....?

Brian
Normally, if you refuse to give a statement the cops will charge you with the most serious crime(s) they can think of, if there's even a slight bit of evidence pointing toward your guilt. It doesn't matter that this may not be enough evidence for the DA's office to indict the case and take it to court.

But, not always. Consider how the Ramsey family in Colorado refused to be interviewed about the murder of their 6 year old daughter Jon-Benet Ramsey. The cops were frustrated, but since there wasn't enough evidence to arrest any particular person in the family, they got away with their non-cooperation.

In this case though, I'd say the circumstances point strongly toward negligent homicide. Reckless handling of a gun and then an accidental discharge of it.

Just like that lawyer in Atlanta who shot his wife in the car.

Same theory of the prosecution, I'd say.

If this cop hasn't yet been arrested and charged, I hope it's ONLY because the DA's office is trying to decide between murder and manslaughter, and the details of the State's theory of the case.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Normally, if you refuse to give a statement the cops will charge you with the most serious crime(s) they can think of, if there's even a slight bit of evidence pointing toward your guilt. It doesn't matter that this may not be enough evidence for the DA's office to indict the case and take it to court.

But, not always. Consider how the Ramsey family in Colorado refused to be interviewed about the murder of their 6 year old daughter Jon-Benet Ramsey. The cops were frustrated, but since there wasn't enough evidence to arrest any particular person in the family, they got away with their non-cooperation.

In this case though, I'd say the circumstances point strongly toward negligent homicide. Reckless handling of a gun and then an accidental discharge of it.

Just like that lawyer in Atlanta who shot his wife in the car.

Same theory of the prosecution, I'd say.

If this cop hasn't yet been arrested and charged, I hope it's ONLY because the DA's office is trying to decide between murder and manslaughter, and the details of the State's theory of the case.
I hope you're right. Problem is the officer appears to have been given a free-pass in the past. Some sources are saying that all the allegations of excessive force against him involve excessive force toward women as the target. But, since he has been the poster-child for that PD for progressive integration of the department there are serious questions about how this is going to be handled.

·
69,784 Posts

·
69,784 Posts
Killer policeman Mohamed Noor has said he was 'startled' by his victim Justine Damond seconds before he opened fire.
The cop has told friends about why he gunned down the bride-to-be, 40, in his first account of what happened Saturday night.
DailyMail.com has spoken to those friends to reveal for the first time his account of what happened that night.
The fact Noor has disclosed the events of the evening to friends will raise questions over his conduct.
'Thrown under the bus': Proud Somali-American Mohamed Noor says his fellow officers are not backing him. A friend tells Daily Mail.com: '... in this situation he has realized he is probably alone with his legal team and Somali police colleagues.'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...story-Justine-startled-him.html#ixzz4nV77smh3
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Her fiance seriously needs to come out of the closet.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.