Millennial Auto Anti-Theft Device

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by jato, Jul 10, 2016.

1. hammerg26

hammerg26 Member

That is funny right there, I don't care who you are. :)

2. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

My wife and I both drive manuals, my daughter got an automatic transmission and I intentionally did not teach her to drive a manual, she can never barrow my car!

3. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

I took my Exocet to Perimeter mall one day for lunch and thought it would be fun to valet it. The valet told me to just pull it forward to the end of the lane and leave it because he couldn't drive a 5 spd. So it got to sit there on display, which was cool, but I'm still trying to figure out how somebody gets a valet job without knowing how to drive a manual.

4. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

I think it's more an example of overall American laziness than a generational thing. Most young kids in just about any developed nation can drive manuals, if they know how to drive.

Az

5. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Yup, my truck has a 6 speed, I doubt I need to lock the doors.

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Nope it has more to do with the cost of a manual transmission being almost the same(or more) as an automatic. Same deal with manual windows. Once the manufactures push to eliminate the slightly lower cost option it doesn't make sense to buy or sell them anymore. I am told it now cost more to modify the line to build either manual option.

Manual transmissions used to be standard equipment. Now they are options and only available on a handful of vehicles. Even Europe is moving to manuals.

7. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Um, what? I shop for only manual transmissions in every car I've ever bought, and the cost for an automatic averages around $1000 more than for a manual.

A manual transmission is not an "option", in many cases it's not even offered at all. At this point only 4wd trucks, cheapo econoboxes, and sports cars are about the only choices. But in every case, the auto is still the "option" and still adds cost to the car.

Europe has certainly increased sales in automatics. But go to Europe and rent a car. You won't get an automatic unless you reserve one ahead of time. 90% of the cars on the lot are manuals.

Az

8. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

Sorry, this content isn't available right now
    The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

Perhaps it's because I don't have an account.

Az

9. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

I love me a RHD manual!

10. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

That logic falls down on just about any imported car as they are all made in far more numbers with manual trannies... they just aren't imported into the USA with manuals because they don't sell... because Americans are lazy.

Az

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

When I bought my Soul I looked for a manual... the only model they make with a manual is the absolute base trim with the anemic little 1.6 in it. I wanted the 2.0 and the higher trim options so I settled for the automatic.

I hear the Turbo (based on the Kia Forte S, with the 2.4) will be manual only.

12. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

13. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

14. btseagle98

btseagle98 Member

Never thought I'd drive a 5spd in Atlanta traffic but after doing so for almost 4 yrs now I realize how much more I like it.

It's funny when I get in my wife's SUV now because I try to find the clutch every time before cranking it.

15. Georgia1911

Georgia1911 Member

All three of my Millennial children drive, or at least can drive, manuals. This was a graduation requirement at the Dad School of Driving. One does currently own an automatic, but his first car was a 5 speed. The other 2 drive 5 or 6 speeds.

16. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Dodge is the only truck company that offers a manual in any pickup. I was looking for a new truck last year, they are the exact same price as an automatic and they only had one in the entire south east and wanted me to buy it before they would ship it from Miami

17. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

You can get a Nissan frontier with a 6 spd manual and it's 3k cheaper than the automatic.

18. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Forgot to say heavy duty truck.

19. phaed

phaed Active Member

if i were a car thief, one of these electronic emergency brakes would have worked as a deterrent for me. took me a while to get used to on my new car.