military rifle shoot

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by legacy38, Mar 26, 2005.

1. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Fellow Shooters' Legacy member magnum62 and his lovely wife made their way to town today for a military rifle shoot. magnum62 bought the M1 Garand from my cousin a while back, and he brought it to shoot along with his M1 Carbine, and his recently aquired '03 Springfield. I brought my Mosin-Nagant M44.

Here is a pic of magnum62's Garand that I took prior to my delivering it to him:
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of my M44:
    [​IMG]

Here is magnum62 taking his very first shot with his '03 Springfield:
    [​IMG]

Here he is shooting his M1 Carbine:
    [​IMG]

Here is the lovely mrs.magnum62 taking her turn with the Carbine (picture is mid-recoil):
    [​IMG]

I got into the act a litte bit with the Carbine as well. I found it to my liking as the group in the picture will show. The group was fired at a distance of 27 yards, standing, free hand, rapid fire.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a great afternoon of shooting. I had never fired a Garand, an '03 Springfield, or a M1 Carbine. I really liked the Garand. It has a wonderful trigger. Shots were easily made at 100 yards. The '03 was very nice as well. It was shooting very high at first, but we adjusted the sights and began to get much better shot placement with it. magnum62 will have to give the particulars on each of his weapons as to manufacture dates and such, but I believe he said they were all 1943 manufacture.

I was also very pleased with the shot placement we got with my M44 as well. It was shooting a little to the left or both of us. It looks like the front sight is pushed a little to the right. Will drifitng it back to the left a little bring the shots to the right?

After shooting, we had a nice dinner at Jason's Deli. It was a fun time, and I sure hope to visit with them more in the future.

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Early May Highpower shoot

I hear sometime in early May there will be a highpower rifle shoot at the Riverbend gun club in Dawsonville, on their 600-yard range. It will be open to any high-powered centerfire rifle, but expect to see mostly military .30 rifles such as the M1 Garand, M1A or M14, and some Springfields and Enfields. If my schedule permits, I'm going to try to be there. The website for that range is, I think, www.rbgc.org, but I'm just saying that from memory (or lack thereof).

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

My shooting buddy mentioned a match. That may have been the one he was talking about.

4. Woody_the_Infidel

Woody_the_Infidel New Member

Looks like you're at Athens Rifle Club. I like that place.

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Yup. I've been shooting there about 2 years now.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Is that the one east of town that a guy has on his land? I showed up there a few months ago with some friends of my father in law, and we couldn't get the guy to come to the gate in spite of an "appointment." Major disappointment.

7. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Nope. I think that is Gunsight Hills. ARC is north of town on 441. Get off of the 10 loop on 441 North towards Commerce. Look for Paradise Valley Road on the left. It'll be a mile or two north of the loop. PDR dead ends into the ARC gate.

The shotgun fields are open to the public on Sundays from 1400-1700.

8. wwomack

wwomack New Member

Do you know if their handgun or rifle ranges are ever open to non-members? I haven't been able to find anywhere outdoors to shoot near Athens. The only handgun range I'm aware of in the Athens area is the indoor range called The Firing Lane.

9. Woody_the_Infidel

I have shot at ARC a few times as a guest. Don't think they open it to non-members. I'm hoping to get an invite some day. When i want to shoot outdoors, i go to Charlie Elliot. I go to the Firing Lane regularly also.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Gunsite Hills, I think that was it . . .

11. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I don't think that the pistol and rifle ranges ever officially open to the public; however, members may bring guest.

I have never seen a person show up at the pistol range on a Sunday afternoon and tell the folks there that they are considering joining the club and be turned away.

Membership is very reasonable. It's $75 to join and $75 a year; so, $150 down when you join. Dues are due every February with no proration. A prospective member must attend two monthly meetings. They are held on the first Thursday of each month at 8:00 PM at the clubhouse at the range.

Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

12. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

What/where is Charlie Elliot?

13. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Clybel

It is the Clybel WMA. It has a 50yd and 100yd range. Check the hunting regs or the DNR website for directions. It is just south of Mansfield off HWY 11.

14. Woody_the_Infidel

Charlie Elliott WMA (GA Dept. of Natural Resources) is a park near Mansfield, GA in Jasper County. It's about 45 miles from Statham and has a 50yd pistol and 100yd rifle range. Also has a place for archery and fishing.

[​IMG]

15. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Okay, thanks.

There is a range just inside of Greene County from the Oconee County side. I don't know who owns it, but it is open to the public.

16. River Bend

River Bend New Member

River Bend 3 Gun

At River Bend we have what we call 3 Gun matches that utilize all 3 one might deploy, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun. We also have Rifle only and Action Pistol matches. The Pistol are the 3rd Saturday of each month and are open to the public, as are the 3 Gun matches which are every other month. June will be skipped however due to the club Picnic, go to the website www.rbgc.org and clic on club news (the latest month) for a pdf od the monthly newsletter which has the calendar for the current & next monthd events on next to last page. There are always articles describing the previous months events if you want see what we do. You can also clic on "shooting disciplines" then "Action Rifle" for the 3 gun info or "Action Pistol" for the pistol matches.
    btw, I'll take credit for those 2 webpages, I have been doing them for a few years and always post, via our webmaster, photo's & scores from the previous months event for the competitors to
    We are not an IPSC or IDPA discipline, but do include portions of those events. I am an IPSC shooter but like the RBGC shooting a lot better, especially the 3 gun event. :lol:

17. Malum Prohibitum

Riverbend Link does not work.

18. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

It works, you have to take the dot out after org. Went there, three gun compitition sounds fun...

19. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll