Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relocating to Marietta in December from Missouri and will be applying for a GWL in Cobb county after I get settled. I have read through some of the code concerning military exclusion, but I'm going to go through the process of obtaining a license just to be on the safe side. My question is will the court accept my military ID when applying versus a GA drivers license? I'm currently driving on a MO license that's good for another few years and I wasn't planning on transferring to a GA license right away. Thanks in advance!

v/r
Sarge

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
You can probably use utility bills to prove residency...
but you're gonna need 3 months residency to apply for your GWL

http://www.cobbcountyga.gov/judicial/firearms_license.htm
Applicants must bring the following items to the Probate Court:
Current identification with current Cobb County Address; (P.O. Boxes are not accepted)

$75.00 in cash or money order (Effective 6/9/2010) payable to the Cobb County Probate Court for the license, fingerprinting and mental health records check.

If you are not a U.S. Citizen (yes... my bad - I was thinking about the Clarke county problem (see below) but this does state "If you are not a US citizen" so probably does not apply here), you must show proof of your lawful presence in the U.S. and proof of residency in the state of Georgia for 90 days. Federal requirements are that immigrants and non-immigrants reside continously in the state for 90 days in their current status and the 90 days is determined by the date of entry on the ICE background check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just give the clerk your military ID and your PCS orders. I am in Houston county and that is all they required. I was in the state for about a month and a half and that is all they needed.

Scott

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
BG_Atl said:
You can probably use utility bills to prove residency...
but you're gonna need 3 months residency to apply for your GWL

http://www.cobbcountyga.gov/judicial/firearms_license.htm
Applicants must bring the following items to the Probate Court:
Current identification with current Cobb County Address; (P.O. Boxes are not accepted)

$75.00 in cash or money order (Effective 6/9/2010) payable to the Cobb County Probate Court for the license, fingerprinting and mental health records check.

If you are not a U.S. Citizen, you must show proof of your lawful presence in the U.S. and proof of residency in the state of Georgia for 90 days. Federal requirements are that immigrants and non-immigrants reside continously in the state for 90 days in their current status and the 90 days is determined by the date of entry on the ICE background check.
Wait. I'm not following this. I've never read anything about 90 day residency. Based on the text provided the OP is not required to have 90 days residency.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
The quote is taken directly from the Cobb Probate Court site immediately before I posted it ( just so you don't think that I may be running off old info). So... it's what THEY require of "regular" folks applying for a license.

As for the OP, Sarge may get a pass on the residency based on what 98raptorta stated.
Just keep in mind that 98raptorta is in Houston County and Sarge is talking about Cobb so
YMMV and we know how Cobb can be. Even with the residency requirement, I would expect that
Sarge is okay using his military ID for a while.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
BG_Atl said:
The quote is taken directly from the Cobb Probate Court site immediately before I posted it ( just so you don't think that I may be running off old info). So... it's what THEY require of "regular" folks applying for a license.

As for the OP, Sarge may get a pass on the residency based on what 98raptorta stated.
Just keep in mind that 98raptorta is in Houston County and Sarge is talking about Cobb so
YMMV and we know how Cobb can be. Even with the residency requirement, I would expect that
Sarge is okay using his military ID for a while.
Did you experience the 90 day residency? Or anyone else? Because I read it as for non-citizens only. Not a citizen.

Can Cobb legally place a restriction on residency? If I moved up there from Thomas county I would have to wait 90 days before getting my GWL changed to that county? That seems like something GCO or the general assembly would be addressing. I'm just saying.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I did not - though I have lived in Gwinnett for a long time and was at my current address for
10 years when I applied.

Not so for one board member that applied in Clarke County
http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51054

He was hit with the 90 residency
Second attempt, I went in with my new license with correct, local address. Now I can fill out the forms, right? Wrong, the issue date on the license was issued as of 9/3/10 and apparently the judge requires 90 days as proof of residency.
Could be Cobb is better on this count... beyond that.. who knows.

·
Registered
461 Posts
OP, I understand you wanting to get your GWL, but just know that if you are active duty, you are exempted from some of the laws that even GWL holders are restricted to. If you get your GWL, I would assume that those restrictions would then apply to you regardless of your active status. I could be wrong, but when I was in the USMC I called the AG's office and got the information I needed. Try to contact them and they should fill you in with more accurate info.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
COMMANDER1911 said:
OP, I understand you wanting to get your GWL, but just know that if you are active duty, you are exempted from some of the laws that even GWL holders are restricted to. If you get your GWL, I would assume that those restrictions would then apply to you regardless of your active status.........
That doesn't make sense to me. I would think that the exemptions applicable here for military would override the restrictions of the GWL. An example that comes immediately to mind: many LEOs I know have GWLs. The carry exemptions accorded them as peace officers do not go away because they have also have a GWL.

·
Registered
461 Posts
SongDogSniper said:
COMMANDER1911 said:
OP, I understand you wanting to get your GWL, but just know that if you are active duty, you are exempted from some of the laws that even GWL holders are restricted to. If you get your GWL, I would assume that those restrictions would then apply to you regardless of your active status.........
That doesn't make sense to me. I would think that the exemptions applicable here for military would override the restrictions of the GWL. An example that comes immediately to mind: many LEOs I know have GWLs. The carry exemptions accorded them as peace officers do not go away because they have also have a GWL.
LOL exactly why I said he should call the AG's office, as I am no expert.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
COMMANDER1911 said:
OP, I understand you wanting to get your GWL, but just know that if you are active duty, you are exempted from some of the laws that even GWL holders are restricted to. If you get your GWL, I would assume that those restrictions would then apply to you regardless of your active status. I could be wrong, but when I was in the USMC I called the AG's office and got the information I needed. Try to contact them and they should fill you in with more accurate info.
This is incorrect information.

1) The exemption is not limited to "active duty" but to people in the military service of the state or U.S.

2) Your exemption doesn't go away because you get a GWL as another legal layer of protection. Why do you assume such things? Have you actually read the law(s) covering this? Its all available on this website.

3) Why do you think you need to talk to the AG about this? Why do you think the AG would even talk to you about this?

·
Registered
461 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
COMMANDER1911 said:

1) The exemption is not limited to "active duty" but to people in the military service of the state or U.S.

2) Your exemption doesn't go away because you get a GWL as another legal layer of protection. Why do you assume such things? Have you actually read the law(s) covering this? Its all available on this website.

3) Why do you think you need to talk to the AG about this? Why do you think the AG would even talk to you about this?
When I was in the USMC I called the GA AG's office to get their interpretation of the law. They actually answered all my questions and were very kind. I never said the exemption would go away..I only said it would be something to check into. And I don't get my legal information from an internet forum. I merely read what is on here, and research it elsewhere. It's clear now that what I posted was incorrect. And since you quoted me, I would assume you saw that I said "I may be wrong". My post was only a suggestion. Like I said, I'm no expert. I'm still learning like a lot of people here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that info Scott, that is what I was looking for. There seems to be a lot confusion/misinterpretation of the exclusions for military members so I'll have to give that a close read (and probably ask specific questions as recommended.) Honestly, I'll be happy to be in GA where I have the opportunity/right to carry! I'm originally from IL and I'm sure you're all aware that is not the place to be when talking about being "gun friendly!" Hell, you can't even buy handgun ammo there unless you have a FOID card (Firearm Owners Identification Program.) :screwy:

Sarge

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
COMMANDER1911 said:
GAGunOwner said:
COMMANDER1911 said:

When I was in the USMC I called the GA AG's office to get their interpretation of the law. They actually answered all my questions and were very kind. I never said the exemption would go away..I only said it would be something to check into. And I don't get my legal information from an internet forum. I merely read what is on here, and research it elsewhere. It's clear now that what I posted was incorrect. And since you quoted me, I would assume you saw that I said "I may be wrong". My post was only a suggestion. Like I said, I'm no expert. I'm still learning like a lot of people here.
Do you think what "someone" told you on the phone would/could keep you out of jail if the information that was given was incorrect?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts