Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking for clarification of the articles and GA Code that I have found here. I am in active service of the US Military and I am unsure of the requirements for carry. Do I Need a permit to carry at all or am I able to legally carry concealed or open? I ask because I have gone through the application process for my GWL and was told that I would not be able to pick it up from the probate court for at least 2 weeks from today; I would like to carry now however I do not wish to break any laws and become another statistic used to aid gun control laws. Anyone who can, please clarify.
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,831 Posts
OCGA 16-11-130 exempts you from needing a GWL, and also exempts you from most places that are off limits.
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,831 Posts
cfowers said:
The exemption from certain locations is only while on duty though, right?
OCGA 16-11-130 makes no mention of having to be on duty. Whether on or off duty, you are "in the military service of the state or of the United States"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
I keep seeing people recommend getting GWL even if you are exempted. This kinda makes sense, I guess, in a "better safe than sorry" kind of way. But do cops worry about also getting a GWL? has there been any documented cases of military folks having problems when caught with only their ID? The law is pretty clear as written.
 

·
Ordinary Average Guy
Joined
·
2,934 Posts
dunkel said:
I keep seeing people recommend getting GWL even if you are exempted. This kinda makes sense, I guess, in a "better safe than sorry" kind of way. But do cops worry about also getting a GWL? has there been any documented cases of military folks having problems when caught with only their ID? The law is pretty clear as written.
One good reason to attain your GFL, is that at least 23 other states recognize a GFL. :wink:

For example, you could drive from GA to TX, and be completely legal to CC the whole way. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
My GWL was easy to get, just needed my Military ID and PCS orders. I would have thought if I did not need GWL to carry, they would have told me when I was applying, (I was in uniform when I was filling out paperwork and getting fingerprinted). Either way, having the GWL and being able to carry in other states is more than enough reason to get the GWL.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,674 Posts
98raptorta said:
I would have thought if I did not need GWL to carry, they would have told me when I was applying
Why? :D License fees are a significant portion of the probate court's budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right. I have already submitted the paperwork and paid the fee's for my GWL. I was just asking to be sure that I'm legal even until the permit comes in. I think I will double check with the local LE Desk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
hehe... and it assumes that the folks at the probate court office even know that there
is a military exception (or care... as MP said... money is money...). :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just spoke with a local LEO who told me that it is legal for anyone who can legally own a pistol to open carry in the state of Georgia. He did confirm though that military is exempt from needing a concealed carry permit.
 

·
Yukon Cornelius
Joined
·
11,740 Posts
cfowers said:
I just spoke with a local LEO who told me that it is legal for anyone who can legally own a pistol to open carry in the state of Georgia. He did confirm though that military is exempt from needing a concealed carry permit.
they can open carry if they can own a pistol.... but must have a permit....unless they are under a few of the exemptions in the law...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The LEO that I spoke with this morning kept assuring me that a person who can own a weapon can OC without a permit. Has this law recently changed then?
 

·
Yukon Cornelius
Joined
·
11,740 Posts
cfowers said:
The LEO that I spoke with this morning kept assuring me that a person who can own a weapon can OC without a permit. Has this law recently changed then?
been that way for about 100 years...
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top