Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my question....I am active duty with a Texas CHL (concealed carry, not a permit like Georgia's). So, with that am I also open to the exclusions for the military members? I am sorry it takes so long to get a permit in GA...just ridiculous. TX sin't much better...about 60-90 days depending, but we don't have open carry...in Texas...go figure.

·
Registered
994 Posts
16-11-130.

(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128 shall not apply to or
affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in
the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law,
regulations, or order:

(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United
States;
In short, you can carry open or concealed in GA without having to worry about the prohibited places that restrict those of us with a GFL. At least that's the theory; I am not aware of anyone putting this statute to the test.

I believe that the public transporation prohibitions still applies, though.

Your Texas license is only valid in GA if you do not reside here. If you are stationed in GA, you can apply for a GFL if you wish, but the exemption in 16-11-130 should make that unnecessary (unless you want it for use while outside of GA).

·
Registered
994 Posts
16-11-124 has that "offical duty" language in it. 16-11-130 does not.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Don't forget to read: UNOFFICIAL OPINION U97-13

Here's an excerpt:
Under prior versions of this statute, it was clear that the exemption applied only to the performance of official duties. See, e.g., Talley v. State, 129 Ga. App. 479, 481 (1973); 1987 Op. Att'y Gen. U87-28. However, at that time the exemptions applied to these persons while engaged in the pursuit of official duties or when authorized by law. Since that time, the statute has been amended. Official Code of Georgia Annotated § 16-11-130(a) now provides that the exemptions apply to "persons . . . employed in the offices listed below." Persons in the military service of the State of Georgia or of the United States are among those so listed. O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130(a)(3). Thus, it is my unofficial opinion that active duty military personnel are exempt under Georgia law from the requirement for a firearms permit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts