Militarization of people

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by WGTactical, Mar 15, 2018.

1. WGTactical

WGTactical Member

I remember several conversations I've had over the years regarding the so called "militarization of police" where some folks believe that that certain pieces of equipment shouldn't be in certain folk's hands, in this case cops. "Yes they can have bullet proof vests but not armored vehicles"

Now we have found our own equipment once again on the chopping block with folks talking about how certain types of military style equipment (aka "assault weapons") shouldn't be in the hands of the public. "Yes you can have a revolver but not a assault rifle with a bump stock and a high capacity clip"

Kinda ironic that the folks who were once claiming that the equipment is to blame for making cops more dangerous are now saying it's the people who are to blame for being dangerous, and not the equipment that is available to them.

Takes all kinds, evidently...
    [​IMG]

2. Groundhound

Groundhound Active Member

Not ironic at all if you understand what the founders had in mind.

3. Aleksfoxtrot

Aleksfoxtrot Active Member

Because the government can't be trusted like the people can.

4. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

The difference is the potential for the abuse of authority between us and them.

AtlPhilip and Aleksfoxtrot like this.
  5. Aleksfoxtrot

How many cops would arrest someone for having actual machine guns? I think it's safe to say that most would.
    Any citizen being used by authoritarian law to deprive a peaceful person of their property is a tyrant and a traitor of liberty. So because most cops are tyrants or agents of tyrants, I am not okay with them arming themselves against us.
    And that's what they're doing.

Ken1961, AtlPhilip and Mrs_Esterhouse like this.
  6. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

My take...
    Police and Law Enforcement are not military, they are civilians. I believe that anything that Law Enforcement is allowed to have, law abiding citizens should be allowed to have, and vice-versa.

TimBob likes this.
  7. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

But this is far from reality. SWAT, DEA, GBI, FBI, etc. are all privy to post 86 NFA items. Non LE citizens are not. I have no issue with the equipment per se other than possession is banned for non LE, which creates a striking disparity.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  8. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

I think we're on the same page here...

9. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Bravo! You did an excellent job of completely mischaracterizing the entire discussion about militarized police. And your use of self-pity was almost undetectable. Well done.

For the record, I am far more concerned with this than the image you posted:
    [​IMG]

That said, the excessive militarization of police does make them look like major douchebags. And I'm not sure if the equipment creates the attitude, or the equipment simply draws those with little regard for citizens, but I find high degree of correlation between the two.

But hey, don't let my words dissuade you. You keep right on fostering that Us vs Them attitude. Who has time to wonder why citizens aren't supportive of cops like they used to be when you can know for sure...

10. alnen

alnen Active Member

WG, there is a tremendous difference in government being "militarized" and the people being "militarized". History shows what happens when he former happens.

11. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Remember that it was a "standing Army" that most concerned our founding fathers and that many of the rifles owned by our "Minute Men" were superior in one form or fashion to the standard issue British Army weapons of the day. Brown Bess Land Pattern Rifles of the British Army had an effective range of ~100 yards while the Pennsylvania Rifles had an effective range of ~300 yards. The 2A in context is rather important.

TimBob likes this.
  12. WGTactical

WGTactical Member

The armored vehicle is mine, which evidently means I am "militarized"...I have some MRE's too, which probably also means I am militarized. I think there's a canteen somewhere around here too...Whatever the case, it sure looks like the liberals has taken a few pages from the gun crowd's playbook and working the angle of what should and should not be allowed, based on little more than perception and how it makes us feel at any particular moment. Fact is, as what can loosely be described as a community, we are our own worst enemy where whining, bitching and complaining with not even the slightest hint of organization or direction are our only deliverable to the cause. Personally I say stick with what you're good at, even if you really aint that good, because life is too short to sweat the small stuff lol

13. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I see the passenger possesses the hard-to-obtain belt-fed AK47. Cool. :lol:

14. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Anybody recall the 2013 Boston Marathon Bomber manhunt for two skinny-ass muslims that basically imposed martial law on several Boston areas cities? Everybody was considered a suspect and when it was over, the people actually cheered their saviors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Aleksfoxtrot

Cops always look like good guys until a free person resists them. Then you find out who the good cops actually are.

Ken1961 likes this.
  16. WGTactical

WGTactical Member

True, along with equally elusive good looks :D

17. WGTactical

WGTactical Member

True and it is only getting worse.